Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Will Minnesota Get Raided This Off-Season?

daniel adler jeremy zoll james rowson rocco baldelli dave dombrowski
  • Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 Dozier's Glorious Hair

Dozier's Glorious Hair

Ft Myers Miracle

• 264 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:54 AM

It was a sort of a joke, but at the same time a very real possibility. I dont have to think they have done an outstanding job....that doesnt change the fact that first and foremost i am a Minnesota Twins fan. We will be fine when they go and we would have been fine if we never saw them. If you wanna restrict comments to only those who think Falvey and Levine are the best executives EVER, then please let the rest of us know. The article i responded to specifically ask what Twins officials may not be back next year. it said nothing about why or how they would leave. Maybe Dave Dombrowski will come here and lead us to a Championship. I am sorry if i dont see it happening this year. I suppose you want to reprimand me for that opinion too.

I don't recall anyone saying you had to proclaim Falvey and Levine the "best" anything, so maybe ease up on the strawmen.

You said "with a little luck" Falvey and Levine would be gone from Minnesota, meaning you want them gone. Why? Providing an explanation would have been helpful.

• kenbuddha, SF Twins Fan, railmarshalljon and 1 other like this

#22 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,993 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:43 AM

I'm sure anyone in their right mind would rather have the resources that the Red Sox have over the Twins. But I also think the Red Sox will aim a bit higher than Falvey or Levine.

Not that I know the candidates out there, but it's a good resume builder to turn around a franchise like the Twins who were light years behind other teams in analytics/player development. Imagine what they could do with double the budget they're working with.
  • JW24, SF Twins Fan, IAMNFan and 1 other like this

#23 IAMNFan

IAMNFan

Elizabethton Twins

• 30 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:17 AM

I too have been a fan since 1976.The inconsistent feelings about this team is confusing to me also.I can't remember a time when this organization from top to bottom was in such good shape.If in March, anyone would have suggested that we were going to have this season, you would have been called a Pohlad Pocket Protector or something worse.Turning many decent prospects, that had not had much major league success, into one of the best lineups in baseball is a major coup.Having pitching be inconsistent is normal and building pitching probably takes more time anyway.

6 months ago, most Twins fans felt the organization was 2-3 years away from having a World Series competitive team.August 1st of this year, we should have traded those guys to help the current group that is not the core group for the World Series contending plan?I know everyone wants immediate gratification, but any organization has to have a plan, "Process over Results" so to speak.A sound process will give positive results over the long haul.If occasional good results cause a management team to alter their process, that management team will be short term.

I do believe that the organization will lose some good people this off season.I also feel like the organization is well positioned to replace those people, as any good team should be.

• SQUIRREL, luckylager, REPETE and 7 others like this

#24 JW24

JW24

• 189 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:27 AM

It is a bit of a compliment to the Twins organization that they have people within the organization worth poaching. Say what you will about the spreadsheets the FO uses or the analytics stressed up and down the organization, but the Twins are clearly doing something other teams find valuable and difficult to replicate on their own. This is extremely encouraging.

I would be really disappointed to see the FO move on from the Twins now that they have turned it around and built (what looks to be) sustainable success. However, if Boston comes calling, I wouldn't blame them one bit for taking that opportunity.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:31 AM

It was a sort of a joke, but at the same time a very real possibility. I dont have to think they have done an outstanding job....that doesnt change the fact that first and foremost i am a Minnesota Twins fan. We will be fine when they go and we would have been fine if we never saw them. If you wanna restrict comments to only those who think Falvey and Levine are the best executives EVER, then please let the rest of us know. The article i responded to specifically ask what Twins officials may not be back next year. it said nothing about why or how they would leave. Maybe Dave Dombrowski will come here and lead us to a Championship. I am sorry if i dont see it happening this year. I suppose you want to reprimand me for that opinion too.

Yawn. There’s an enormous gulf of opinions between “I hope they’re gone” and “they’re the best executives ever”.

What we *do* know is that the Twins are on track for their best record in decades. If that doesn’t impress you, so be it... but I think that says more about you than it does Falvine.
  • SarasotaBill, SwainZag, tarheeltwinsfan and 4 others like this

#26 Ebby Calvin Laloosh

Ebby Calvin Laloosh

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 51 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:38 AM

My biggest concerns for flying the coop are Rowson, as the article mentioned and Wes Johnson. I know Johnson is a first year, straight from the college ranks coach, but he seems like a gem to me. Maybe the SSS will protect him a bit, but I could see lots of FOs being interested in him.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#27 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,267 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:58 AM

With a little luck Falvey and Levine....

I respectfully disagree. Falvey and Levine hired those 3 guys named above, who have done so well, plus Wes Johnson. Plus quickly assembled one of the best the best Twins' roster with some really good free agents (Cruz, Gonzales, Schoop, claimed Cron off of waivers,traded Palacios for Odorizzi, signed Kepler and Polanco to team friendly extensions the winter before they each had breakout seasons and hired Rocco...what have I left out?). Yes they lost a few players, but none were David Ortiz.

Edited by tarheeltwinsfan, 11 September 2019 - 07:58 AM.

• pbrezeasap, DocBauer and rdehring like this

#28 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,267 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:10 AM

I'm allowed to rebut others' opinions, particularly if I think they're bad throwaway takes, which that was.

In fact, by the forum rules, the original post was actually trolling. Would you rather have had me infract the poster with an official warning or gently poke fun of a terrible take on baseball? Here at Twins Daily, we frown heavily upon one sentence, negative takes that offer nothing to further meaningful discussion. Particularly takes that are meant only to inflame the board and further encourage more bad one sentence mouth-breaths on the subject. We're not RubeChat. There's also a reason RubeChat shut down.

But nice try to turn my rebuttal on a bad take back at me, tiger.

Brock, I must say I also was surprised by the negative tone of your rebuttals, especially referring to the other posters as "champ" and "tiger". . I appreciate the fact that you are an owner and I thank you for this site and the opportunity to post my views.So....How about those Twins !.

• Oldgoat_MN, h2oface, tboltz34 and 2 others like this

#29 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,166 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:11 AM

I assume Falvey and Levine are under contract and Twins could say no to them interviewing for a parallel position elsewhere.

• KGB likes this

#30 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,166 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:12 AM

This isn't the NFL (thankfully, is so many ways).

I'm not sure bandwagon front office hires will be based on one year alone. If this continues for 2-3 years, maybe.

Then again, Rocco was kind of hired along those lines...

#31 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:20 AM

Brock, I must say I also was surprised by the negative tone of your rebuttals, especially referring to the other posters as "champ" and "tiger". . I appreciate the fact that you are an owner and I thank you for this site and the opportunity to post my views. So....How about those Twins !.

If you were to go back and review Channing's posting history regarding Falvey, I think you'd understand Brock's lack of patience.

Channing has posted, multiple times, and without sarcasm, that he thinks Falvey is covertly operating under the employment of the Indians, intentionally tanking the Twins in order to benefit Cleveland.

If a poster has that view of Falvey, I don't think some pushback is to be unexpected.
  • tarheeltwinsfan, SF Twins Fan, rdehring and 1 other like this

#32 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:21 AM

Brock, I must say I also was surprised by the negative tone of your rebuttals, especially referring to the other posters as "champ" and "tiger". . I appreciate the fact that you are an owner and I thank you for this site and the opportunity to post my views.So....How about those Twins !.

It honestly was just meant as a joke but apparently fell flat. Calling a one year old baseball fan "champ" just seemed kind of funny to me and I didn't intend for it to have a negative tone.

• Oldgoat_MN, tarheeltwinsfan and In My La-Z-boy like this

#33 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 631 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:22 AM

I suspect Rowson will get mentioned and probably at least 1 interview. Zoll certainly should be on someone's radar and much as I would prefer to keep this team intact I wouldn't be shocked at all if either of those two (or both) got swept up by another franchise. I'm going to guess less likely on Adler in part because he's lower profile but also because his role is one where I think a lot of teams still probably think they can invent their own. But YMMV.

I'm amused at the anti-Falvine comments. Coupled with the instant overreactions to every win/loss/injury/event these tell me one singular fact: the Twins are now relevant enough again for people to get invested in and at least occasionally lose their minds over. :)

• Oldgoat_MN and 70charger like this

#34 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,360 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:29 AM

It's a good thing, a really good thing...and a much needed change...if other teams come calling for Twins management personnel.

I hope it's a regular thing every offseason. We should be so lucky.
  • Madisonsdad, h2oface, Vanimal46 and 2 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#35 Only Here in Negative

Only Here in Negative

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 150 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:31 AM

I'm allowed to rebut others' opinions, particularly if I think they're bad throwaway takes, which that was.

In fact, by the forum rules, the original post was actually trolling. Would you rather have had me infract the poster with an official warning or gently poke fun of a terrible take on baseball? Here at Twins Daily, we frown heavily upon one sentence, negative takes that offer nothing to further meaningful discussion. Particularly takes that are meant only to inflame the board and further encourage more bad one sentence mouth-breaths on the subject. We're not RubeChat. There's also a reason RubeChat shut down.

But nice try to turn my rebuttal on a bad take back at me, tiger.

What? That post wasn't trolling. In a post about people who might get poached from the Twins, he indicated he hoped Falvine would get poached. That's not trolling whatsoever. It may be a dumb opinion but it was on topic and didn't belittle anyone.

As someone with four warning points, I can't believe that you're defending yourself on this. It was clearly over the top coming back. I thought that before I saw the comment.

• 3balls2strikes likes this

#36 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:33 AM

It's a good thing, a really good thing...and a much needed change...if other teams come calling for Twins management personnel.

Correct. It reminds me of when people say the Gophers shouldn't hire coach X because it'll just be a stepping stone job for them.

I always say great. That means they built something successful. That's not a bad thing.
  • Vanimal46 and SF Twins Fan like this

#37 Only Here in Negative

Only Here in Negative

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 150 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:33 AM

If you were to go back and review Channing's posting history regarding Falvey, I think you'd understand Brock's lack of patience.

Channing has posted, multiple times, and without sarcasm, that he thinks Falvey is covertly operating under the employment of the Indians, intentionally tanking the Twins in order to benefit Cleveland.

If a poster has that view of Falvey, I don't think some pushback is to be unexpected.

I've been dinged for getting frustrated at people whose history regarding Joe Mauer was as ridiculous as Channing's with Falvine. There need to be universal standards on these things.

It isn't having pushback, its the tone. Or so I've been told. 

#38 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,360 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:34 AM

A quick mod note: we don't discuss moderation, or lack thereof, in thread.

Take it up in the proper place, please, if you feel the need.
  • ashbury, Hosken Bombo Disco and tarheeltwinsfan like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#39 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,993 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:42 AM

Concur. If the people at the top remain the same, they should be able to identify the next Shelton, Rowson, Wes Johnson, etc.

#40 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,519 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:14 AM

1.) I think there is little chance that Derek Shelton is back, unless there just aren't more than a couple of manager jobs open.

2.) As for Falvey and pitching... he's known for developing the pitching in Cleveland's system... no signing big free agents. Acquiring a guy like Kluber and developing the likes of Salazar, Carrasco, Clevinger, Bieber, Civale, etc.... The Twins are going to try to do the same, and we are starting to see the very early results of that in 2019. Think of the likes of a Randy Dobnak, who they brought in two years ago and developed. Think about the likes of Duran, Alcala, Smeltzer that they have acquired in trades. Think about what they have done to the velocities of the likes of Graterol and Colina. Think about the likes of Ober and Balazovic and Sands and Winder, guys drafted and developed. Could 1-2 of those guys be aces? Kluber certainly wasn't an "ace" as a prospect. Neither was Civale. Bieber was said to have some upside... We'll see how it pans out, but i like the track record and the development plans. 

Yes, yes, yes.You were able to put my thoughts into a comment much better than I could.Thank you, Seth, thank you, thank you!

• tarheeltwinsfan and In My La-Z-boy like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: daniel adler, jeremy zoll, james rowson, rocco baldelli, dave dombrowski