Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (9/10): Berrios Bounces Back in Twins Win

twins vs nationals minnesota twins twins win twins game recap
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Alex Schieferdecker

Alex Schieferdecker

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 57 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM

Love seeing that clean bullpen chart. Thanks to Berrios' excellent start and the insurance runs in the eighth, it feels good to only have to use two relievers and not have Taylor Rogers among them.

I do wish we could have a more decisive win sooner or later, however, so that we can continue to audition some of these back-end guys for the postseason. Five spots are obviously spoken for, and Littell seems likely to get a sixth. One to two spots remain.

• Don Walcott likes this

#22 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 934 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:49 AM

So, looking out my window (and at the weather.com forecast), I see zero chance of a game today or tomorrow in Minneapolis.

Rain really stacking up next two days.

For Twins, two off-days going into Cleveland for the weekend, a chance for Sano, Gonzalez, Cave, Cruz, Kepler, Dyson -- not to mention the entire pitching staff -- to rest.

I'll take that.

Bring on the rain.

• Original Whizzinator and Bandit34 like this

#23 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,589 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:30 AM

Unrelated to the Twins, but going into tonight, Bruce Bochy, whose managerial career has lasted from 1995-2019, has a career record of 1995-2019.

That’s crazy. Not only that, but yesterday was 9-10-19, a palindromic day.
  • IndianaTwin, Taildragger8791, dbminn and 2 others like this

#24 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,071 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:32 AM

That’s crazy. Not only that, but yesterday was 9-10-19, a palindromic day.

Pfffft. So's the whole next week.
  • IndianaTwin, dbminn and Don Walcott like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#25 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,589 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:38 AM

To me the biggest part of this win, and last Saturday against the Indians, is the resilience of the team after gut punches. Lose Pineda, face Cleveland after a series opening loss, face Clevingee to face on Sunday, and they win the game, backed by a big game for Odorizzi. Yesterday, lose Buxton, have already lost 1.5 games in two days to Cleveland, and Berrios comes up huge.

Those were the two biggest wins of the season, in my opinion. With rain on the horizon, Cleveland could have been 3.5 games back heading into this weekend if the Twins hadn’t won yesterday.
  • birdwatcher likes this

#26 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 590 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:51 AM

Terrific start by Berrios, hopefully it's just what he needed to get back/stay on track. I thought his command looked better tonight; really looked like he was putting his pitches where he wanted them. Sure, there were misses around the plate, but when he was missing a pitch it was by inches on one plane, not by 6-8+ and occasionally on 2. The velocity looked good, hitting 95 often enough. They still may want to look to find him some extra rest before the playoffs, though i know it's tougher right now with no days off and still being in a pennant race.

Beautiful dinger by Garver. Just majestic. we need his bat in the lineup right now.

• birdwatcher and Original Whizzinator like this

#27 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,815 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:09 AM

Thank god~

my thoughts exactly

#28 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,412 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

Well, that was encouraging! And important, given the matchups aren't too friendly the next two games.

I think I'd rather have rain than Strasburg and Corbin against this Twins lineup at this particular point in time. We'll see.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#29 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,287 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:55 AM

Pfffft. So's the whole next week.

Also get ready to celebrate on... 

02-11-20

02-22-20

12-11-21

12-22-21

But after that, it will be a while, and I probably won't be around to see it. Ted Williams will, perhaps, if they can work out that freeze and thaw thing. 

• USAFChief, USNMCPO, Wyorev and 1 other like this

#30 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,047 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:02 AM

Love seeing that clean bullpen chart. Thanks to Berrios' excellent start and the insurance runs in the eighth, it feels good to only have to use two relievers and not have Taylor Rogers among them.

I do wish we could have a more decisive win sooner or later, however, so that we can continue to audition some of these back-end guys for the postseason. Five spots are obviously spoken for, and Littell seems likely to get a sixth. One to two spots remain.

We should get those games in the last two weeks of the season. And although I agree that I'd like to see some more auditions, I'd also like to see the bullpen we'll be using in the post-season continue this good momentum in close games. I think the confidence in the bullpen is growing with each good outing by May, Duffey, Romo and Rogers, in particular. Those guys will need some rest, of course, but they also need to stay in the groove they are in by continuing to pitch regularly.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,281 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:41 PM

Well, that was encouraging! And important, given the matchups aren't too friendly the next two games.

I think I'd rather have rain than Strasburg and Corbin against this Twins lineup at this particular point in time. We'll see.

Still wish they had signed Corbin....
  • jkcarew likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#32 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,589 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:06 PM

Unrelated to the Twins, but going into tonight, Bruce Bochy, whose managerial career has lasted from 1995-2019, has a career record of 1995-2019.

This should be posted in the “Fun With Numbers 2019” thread. Or perhaps the “Fun With The Number 2019” thread.
  • ashbury likes this

#33 gocgo

gocgo

• 1,504 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:44 PM

Great for Berrios....

But any news on his velo in the game?

Only 4 Ks....and if the velo is not back up this may only be a blip.

If the velo is coming back up then Yeeee Haaaaah!

Velo was back up.93.6 for avg FB I think I read and he was topping out at 95 I believe.

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#34 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 97 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:14 AM

Berrios wasn't overpowering, but he obviously pitched very well. I was happy to see him working effectively at the top of the zone...

Late to the party, but it ought to be said that this was the first game since Gibson & Rogers shut out KC on 14 June that the FPPF (Fan Pitching Pucker Factor) did not exceed 40 (on a scale with 100 indicating absolute peak pucker).

• 70charger likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins vs nationals, minnesota twins, twins win, twins game recap