Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Buxton's Season Over, Placed on 60-day Injured List

byron buxton rocco baldelli
  • Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,496 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:25 PM

My first thought with Buxton out and Pineda’s suspension opening up a roster spot was Kirilloff.

I then went and looked and he really didn’t perform that well when returning from injury. He had a good end of season but minor league pitching is pretty thin at the end of the season. I think he is up if he dominated AA over the long stretch of the season. He didn’t. He wasn’t close to dominating. A .413 SLG for a power hitter isn’t encouraging. He probably should start at AA and dominate until June before heading to AAA next year.

My initial thought to call up Kirilloff was based on hope of who he might be some day based on 2018. I think he has a good ceiling but I don’t think he is anywhere near that ceiling this year and there is no reason it would be different against major league pitching.

I don’t see options. It is hard to plan for losing Buxton, Gonzalez and Kepler for a stretch. Add Rooker’s injury and Kirilloff’s set back due to injury and you get Wade and LaMarre.

Or you take a chance on upside. Or not, and just play guys you know are bad.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#82 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• 1,602 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:28 PM

Take a look at Kyle Lewis and Nico Hoerner's minor league numbers and MLB numbers since their recent call ups. 

Minor league numbers are meaningful but sometimes the talent just kicks in at the highest level. 

#83 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,521 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:45 PM

Or you take a chance on upside. Or not, and just play guys you know are bad.

Wade had a .750 OPS at AAA. Why would you have any reason to believe that a guy who had a .750 OPS at AA would be better?

#84 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,496 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:09 PM

Wade had a .750 OPS at AAA. Why would you have any reason to believe that a guy who had a .750 OPS at AA would be better?

Well, LaMarre is also there and playing. And, Kirilloff is a better hitter than Wade. And, Kirilloff hit better as he got healthier.

Again, play it safe, or play for upside? In a playoff year? Upside.

#85 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,469 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:14 PM

It is hard to see any 2019 upside in Kirilloff. I do believe in his upside and look forward to his bat at 26 and hope that it arrives sooner. He needs to consistently hit in AA first. He didn’t.

#86 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,496 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:17 PM

It is hard to see any 2019 upside in Kirilloff. I do believe in his upside and look forward to his bat at 26 and hope that it arrives sooner. He needs to consistently hit in AA first. He didn’t.

26?

Good golly, he's a top fifty prospect....

What upside do you see in LaMarre?

#87 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,469 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:38 PM

26?
Good golly, he's a top fifty prospect....
What upside do you see in LaMarre?

His upside is average defender, average base runner and professional at bats against left handed pitchers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton, rocco baldelli