Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Buxton's Season Over, Placed on 60-day Injured List

byron buxton rocco baldelli
  • Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Owner
  • 6,045 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:32 PM

The Twins have announced that Byron Buxton is being put on the 60-day injured list, and his season is over. Earlier today on MLB Network Radio, Twins manager Rocco Baldelli said the Twins are “bracing for the realization this this could be [Twins centerfielder Byron Buxton’s] season ending right now.” Shoulder surgery is being considered, which would make Buxton unavailable for the rest of the regular season or the postseason.

Update: This story is being updated as new announcements are made.

We feel the same way Byron.

Buxton has been a linchpin for the Twins defense this year when healthy. Fangraphs.com’ Ultimate Zone Rating (UZR/150) shows him as being about 15 runs better than an average centerfielder over 150 games played. There is also an additional negative cascading affect, as his presence in center allows Max Kepler to play right field, where he is also six runs better in UZR/150 than his most likely replacement, Jake Cave.

Twenty-one runs, at a high level, represents two games over a full season, but the perception of the loss is magnified by the concern about the Twins defense around the diamond. Of the Twins seven infielders and outfielders who have played the most at their positions, only Buxton and Kepler are deemed above average by UZR. Plus, Kepler was also pulled out of Sunday’s game with an injury, although an MRI on Monday for an injured scapula came back negative.

Buxton’s shoulder injury, along with two other injuries, also have short-circuited a breakthrough season for the 25-year-old. He had posted the highest batting average (.262), on-base percentage (.314) and slugging percentage (.513) of his career. He was also showing a better eye at the plate (19 walks versus 68 strikeouts) and of course was a weapon on the base paths with 19 stolen bases.

However, injuries have remained an issue. Last year was torpedoed due to a broken toe suffered from a foul ball in AAA-Rochester. This year he missed 13 games in June with a wrist injury after he was hit by a pitch. He then missed 10 games in July with a concussion after making a diving catch in the outfield. He returned but ran into a wall on August 1st, suffering a left (non-throwing) shoulder subluxation. He has not batted in the majors since.

UPDATE:

UPDATE 2:

Click here to view the article
  • nicksaviking likes this

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,607 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:35 PM

He will finish this year with 87 games played, 3.2 bWAR, and 2.7 fWAR. He is a special player. But my god, it's like groundhog's day over and over. Gotta find a way for him to be healthy for 120+ games.
  • Steve Lein, Blake, SwainZag and 9 others like this

#3 Alex Schieferdecker

Alex Schieferdecker

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 55 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:38 PM

This is one of those times that I remind myself that the Twins weren't supposed to contend this year, that to some degree we're playing with house money, and the window really opens in the next couple years.

Needless to say, it's not a great balm.

• Jerr, Oldgoat_MN, blindeke and 6 others like this

#4 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 941 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:52 PM

That sucks.Cave and Kepler still unavailable too. Run for cover, I guess.

Looks like a getaway lineup for game one of the Nats series.

#5 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,729 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:52 PM

I have a theory:

Buxton goes all out (and then some) on defense because he hasn't established himself at the plate.

If he ever does become a superstar hitter (if) he would calm down on the wall-running-into.

(No science was harmed in support of this theory.)

• Madisonsdad, DocBauer, tarheeltwinsfan and 6 others like this

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,607 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:06 PM

Official.

#7 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,402 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:13 PM

He's an example of how WAR can overvalue given extreme/questionable defensive data. His bWAR is within 0.5 of Cruz right now. No. Nevertheless, he COULD be special with relatively modest, but consistent improvement in his offensive game...and he showed real signs of moving in that direction this year.

But, for 2020 and beyond, the Twins need to be coming up with 3 legitimate major-league outfielders not named Buxton. Does that mean you part ways? Not necessarily. Does it mean you're forced to show more patience/commitment with Rosario than you would otherwise? Maybe. But one way or the other, as a FO, you wouldn't be doing your job if you simply assumed he'd be your every-day center fielder moving forward. 

• ScrapTheNickname, Madisonsdad, ewen21 and 2 others like this

#8 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,412 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:22 PM

So the Twins have 3 outfielders out right now (Cave, Buxton, and Kepler) and they choose to bring in an infielder? 

• ScrapTheNickname likes this

#9 Twinsoholic

Twinsoholic

• 218 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:33 PM

Kinda miss Jaylin Davis right about now.

• Twins33, nokomismod, tarheeltwinsfan and 2 others like this

#10 the_brute_squad

the_brute_squad

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 63 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:50 PM

Byron Buxton is perilously close to becoming a "could have been". Echoes of John Castino are getting louder.

• Jerr likes this

#11 Steve71

Steve71

Elizabethton Twins

• 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:57 PM

Any chance we can revisit that trade with the Mets for Thor? :(

Lovely fielder, developing hitter, may or may not ever pan out....such a shame for the Twins who are having a special season.

• Oldgoat_MN and Original Whizzinator like this

#12 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,240 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:01 PM

MV5BYWEwMDY5YjAtZTk2Yy00MDQ0LTgxNjAtNTA4

"Ensigns Wade, Miller, and LaMarre, I know that none of you were expecting this. I'm sorry. I'm gonna have to ask you to grow up a little sooner than you expected. Warp five."

/ edit - I know, I know, LaMarre is 30, Miller is 27, and even Wade is no spring chicken anymore at 25. Humor me.

• Riverbrian, Monkeypaws, DocBauer and 5 others like this

Always put the important things ahead of mere dire emergencies.

#13 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 284 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:05 PM

This is one of those times that I remind myself that the Twins weren't supposed to contend this year, that to some degree we're playing with house money, and the window really opens in the next couple years.

Don't bet on it my friend. You have to take the chance when you are hot. I am not saying this team won't be successful again, but this is a special year with this offense. 

These injuries, and starting pitching problems are a real bummer. 

Edited by Battle ur tail off, 10 September 2019 - 03:05 PM.

• Jerr and rkevin like this

#14 spycake

spycake

• 16,543 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:05 PM

So the Twins have 3 outfielders out right now (Cave, Buxton, and Kepler) and they choose to bring in an infielder? 

I might have expected Alejandro De Aza.

• scottz likes this

#15 spycake

spycake

• 16,543 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:07 PM

Kinda miss Jaylin Davis right about now.

Off to a 2-for-12 start with SFG, no XHB, although 0 K's -- so perhaps the BABIP gods will help him out soon!

• ashbury, Twinsoholic and Original Whizzinator like this

#16 LimestoneBaggy

LimestoneBaggy

Self-Appointed, Chief Executive Twins Daily Lurker

• 391 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:08 PM

Woof, reading TD was supposed to take my mind of the crappy day I'm having at work....oh well, back to these stacks of paper with impressive looking fonts and charts....

• ashbury, Riverbrian, IndianaTwin and 2 others like this

Charter Member of the 2019 Twins "Home Run to Hot Dog Eating Contest." One Dinger; One Dog.

"In order to have a testimony, you have to have a test." Teddy Bridgewater

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,718 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:16 PM

MV5BYWEwMDY5YjAtZTk2Yy00MDQ0LTgxNjAtNTA4

"Ensigns Wade, Miller, and LaMarre, I know that none of you were expecting this. I'm sorry. I'm gonna have to ask you to grow up a little sooner than you expected. Warp five."

/ edit - I know, I know, LaMarre is 30, Miller is 27, and even Wade is no spring chicken anymore at 25. Humor me.

Oof, so the red shirts gotta survive in this scenario?Redshirt_characters_from_Star_Trek.jpg

• ashbury, Riverbrian, Monkeypaws and 6 others like this

#18 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 2,884 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:39 PM

I would love to see some data on what percent of players go from being injury prone youngsters to ever playing more than a fluke full season.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#19 rukavina

rukavina

• 60 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:44 PM

Labrum repairs are not trivial...I hope the team gets a bit of clarity on his availability for next season.

• Jerr and Aerodeliria like this

#20 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,049 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:48 PM

I don't think that's really true. Certainly not in preseason TD threads, nor in plenty of national prognostications.

It doesn't matter, of course, but I disagree anyone's "playing with house money." 

• Mike Sixel likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton, rocco baldelli