Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Don't get into the habit of losing

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 957 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:00 PM

Saying this team doesn't show up and doesn't care is pretty damn insulting.

Context much?

You must have misplaced the qualifier.

#22 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 957 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:08 PM

I think it's also fairly offensive to claim that the manager and the players don't care about winning.

Baldelli didn't seem to care about winning with two outs in the bottom of the ninth in the last Cleveland game.  

#23 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,426 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:01 PM

Baldelli didn't seem to care about winning with two outs in the bottom of the ninth in the last Cleveland game.  

Because he let LaMarre hit?If I am looking at the roster correctly the only player left on the roster to hit was Castro.What's the "care about winning" decision there?

Marwin, Cruz, Buxton and Sano were unavailable due to injury.Kepler was taken out for injury in the game.Miller and Cron had already been used and replaced.  

• SQUIRREL, nicksaviking, FlauerPauer and 1 other like this

#24 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 957 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:12 PM

Because he let LaMarre hit?If I am looking at the roster correctly the only player left on the roster to hit was Castro.What's the "care about winning" decision there?

Marwin, Cruz, Buxton and Sano were unavailable due to injury.Kepler was taken out for injury in the game.Miller and Cron had already been used and replaced.  

Cruz is in the lineup today.Don't tell me that he couldn't have taken one PA.Astudillo could have gone to first. Castro could have caught. Adrianza could have gone to the outfield.The way Hand was pitching, Cruz would have added even more pressure.  

#25 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,426 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:21 PM

Cruz is in the lineup today.Don't tell me that he couldn't have taken one PA.Astudillo could have gone to first. Castro could have caught. Adrianza could have gone to the outfield.The way Hand was pitching, Cruz would have added even more pressure.  

Because Cruz is playing today means that 2 days ago he was fine to go?If he wasn't 100% there's no reason to risk further injury to that wrist.Before the game he was deemed unavailable.It obviously wasn't the most the sought after situation with LaMarre up there in the 9th as the tying run, but to accuse Rocco of not caring about winning just seems like a low blow to the manager in a tough spot.

• SQUIRREL, diehardtwinsfan and FlauerPauer like this

#26 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,734 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:04 PM

So you find it more likely that Baldelli is purposefully losing than the idea that his players were unavailable.

What do you suppose his motivation is for throwing games? He's certainly not very good at it, the team is on pace for 100 wins.

• SQUIRREL, ashbury and FlauerPauer like this

#27 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:12 PM

I will say -- if he knew that many players are unavailable due to injury, Baldelli probably shouldn't have taken Cron out after his PH appearance. Cron could have gone to 1B, and Adrianza to the outfield (or Adrianza to 3B, and Arraez to the outfield).

Don't put yourself into the position where you can't pinch-hit for Ryan LaMarre!

• mrtwinsfan likes this

#28 Jham

Jham

• 2,150 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:16 PM

I keep hearing "The Twins are 5 games up with only 19 left to go; what's the worst that can happen?" Maybe we should ask the 2009 Detroit Tigers, who had a 4.5 game lead with 19 left?

I remember game 163 at the dome. It was broadcast on TBS who had a slogan at the time: "very funny".

A twins fan brought a sign that read: "Tigers Blow Season (TBS): very funny"

I loved that sign.
  • USAFChief, SwainZag and woolywoolhouse like this

#29 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,426 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:14 PM

I will say -- if he knew that many players are unavailable due to injury, Baldelli probably shouldn't have taken Cron out after his PH appearance. Cron could have gone to 1B, and Adrianza to the outfield (or Adrianza to 3B, and Arraez to the outfield).

Don't put yourself into the position where you can't pinch-hit for Ryan LaMarre!

You've actually got a point here. Move Wade back to CF, Adrianza to LF and insert Cron at 1st. It seems more like over sight in a 6-0 rather than a manager who doesn't care about winning though.

#30 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,382 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:57 PM

You've actually got a point here. Move Wade back to CF, Adrianza to LF and insert Cron at 1st. It seems more like over sight in a 6-0 rather than a manager who doesn't care about winning though.

Oversight, c,monNo its his job Knowing Ryan Lamarmight be needed to bat

#31 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:26 PM

It was a 5-2 score at the time of the decision, and it was only the end of the 7th so odds were decent that the spot might come up again (with men on base).

Not that I think it was evidence of Baldelli not caring, but it was a mistake.

Edited by spycake, 10 September 2019 - 05:27 PM.

#32 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,426 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:59 PM

It was a 5-2 score at the time of the decision, and it was only the end of the 7th so odds were decent that the spot might come up again (with men on base).

Not that I think it was evidence of Baldelli not caring, but it was a mistake.

I don't know where I got the 6-0 score....I was looking at.....something.Very good points made.