Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Don't get into the habit of losing

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 350 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:23 AM

If the Twins think they can simply turn on the charm any time they want to they had better think again. If they lose tonight against the probably playoff bound Nats, they will be 1-3 on the current home stand against contending teams. Then they will have to win the next 2 to win the series and break even on the home stand before going to Cleveland. I suggest they play this game like there is no tomorrow because a long losing streak is not only possible but would not be surprising. How they play tonight is what I will be looking for, not so much whether they win. It starts with Berrios and whether he is in attack mode or not. Next is the lineup and it had best be a playoff lineup or as close as possible. If they use resting players and really not needing this game as an excuse, look out.

• notoriousgod71, tarheeltwinsfan, bighat and 3 others like this

#2 Tovar12

Tovar12

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 55 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:34 AM

I concur

• FlauerPauer likes this

#3 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,176 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:38 AM

Play ball and run out all those ground balls.

• bighat and FlauerPauer like this

#4 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• 291 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:13 AM

I keep hearing "The Twins are 5 games up with only 19 left to go; what's the worst that can happen?" Maybe we should ask the 2009 Detroit Tigers, who had a 4.5 game lead with 19 left?

• bighat, FlauerPauer and MMMordabito like this

SblamiVvl-SFSfi_8yN5GGvjJk0=.gif

#5 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 957 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:17 AM

Ryan LaMarre better not sniff the field unless the Twins have a double-digit lead.If he is in there when it's close, Baldelli is punting.If he is in there when they are down big, the team didn't show up and doesn't care.

Edited by MMMordabito, 10 September 2019 - 09:03 AM.

• FlauerPauer likes this

#6 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 2,822 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:41 AM

I keep hearing "The Twins are 5 games up with only 19 left to go; what's the worst that can happen?" Maybe we should ask the 2009 Detroit Tigers, who had a 4.5 game lead with 19 left?

Man I totally hear you. People are saying "The division is locked up, no worries about that". Really? Are they watching the same games as the rest of us? Cleveland isn't going away, the Twins play them again this week, and they've been frankly dominating the head-to-head matchups. The Twins' players are dropping like flies and the offense looks as bad as it's looked all year. I know we have the Royals and Tigers on the schedule but those aren't guaranteed wins.

• FlauerPauer likes this

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,734 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:05 AM

Ryan LaMarre better not sniff the field unless the Twins have a double-digit lead.If he is in their when it's close, Baldelli is punting.If he is in there when they are down big, the team didn't show up and doesn't care.

Does Baldelli have a choice except between LaMarre, Wade and Miller? Do we know if Kepler, Buxton, Sano, Cruz and Gonzalez are good to go?

I think it's also fairly offensive to claim that the manager and the players don't care about winning.

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and 3 others like this

#8 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:13 AM

Actually, the 2009 Tigers had a 5.5 game lead with 19 scheduled games left to play, just like the 2019 Twins before Cleveland won yesterday (I think you were counting the game 163 tiebreaker as part of the last 19 in 2009). The 2009 Twins even had 1 fewer game remaining (18) than the Tigers, just like 2019 Cleveland entering play yesterday.

Interestingly, those 2009 Tigers even managed a near split -- 3-4 -- head-to-head with the Twins over those last 19, but still blew the lead. Overall the Tigers were 9-10 in that span, and the Twins 14-4 -- so the Twins were 10-1 in non-Tigers games in that stretch! All common opponents too.

2009 Twins (14-4):

2-0 vs CLE (65-97 that season)

3-0 vs CHW (79-83)

5-1 vs KC (65-97)

4-3 vs DET

2009 Tigers (9-10):

1-2 vs KC (65-97)

2-4 vs CHW (79-83)

3-0 vs CLE (65-97)

3-4 vs MIN

Edited by spycake, 10 September 2019 - 09:24 AM.

• John Bonnes, USAFChief, woolywoolhouse and 2 others like this

#9 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,426 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:15 AM

Ryan LaMarre better not sniff the field unless the Twins have a double-digit lead.If he is in there when it's close, Baldelli is punting.If he is in there when they are down big, the team didn't show up and doesn't care.

How is Baldelli punting? He has a pretty beat up roster right now.

Twins are 11-4 in their last 15, 6-4 in their last 10.LaMarre had 1 AB, and as far as I can tell....there really weren't many options.Saying this team doesn't show up and doesn't care is pretty damn insulting.

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, wagwan and 3 others like this

#10 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM

How might a 2009-Tigers-esque collapse/comeback look in 2019?

Twins (9-10):

1-2 vs WSN

1-2 vs CLE

1-2 vs CHW

4-3 vs KC

2-1 vs DET

Cleveland (14-4):

3-0 vs LAA

2-1 vs MIN

3-0 vs DET

2-1 vs PHI

2-1 vs CHW

2-1 vs WSN

Cleveland's already 1-0 in this quest, with a win over LAA last night.

This would lead us to a tie after 162, forcing another game 163.

The odds of this happening aren't too high, though -- Fangraphs still gives us 97.1% odds right now at winning the division in 2019. Only 2.2% odds of a tie atop the AL Central. (Yes, those odds were probably similar at this time for the 2009 Tigers :) )

Edited by spycake, 10 September 2019 - 09:25 AM.

• birdwatcher, woolywoolhouse and FlauerPauer like this

#11 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• 341 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:31 AM

How might a 2009-Tigers-esque collapse/comeback look in 2019?

Twins (9-10):

1-2 vs WSN

1-2 vs CLE

1-2 vs CHW

4-3 vs KC

2-1 vs DET

Cleveland (14-4):

3-0 vs LAA

2-1 vs MIN

3-0 vs DET

2-1 vs PHI

2-1 vs CHW

2-1 vs WSN

Cleveland's already 1-0 in this quest, with a win over LAA last night.

This would lead us to a tie after 162, forcing another game 163.

The odds of this happening aren't too high, though -- Fangraphs still gives us 97.1% odds right now at winning the division in 2019. Only 2.2% odds of a tie atop the AL Central. (Yes, those odds were probably similar at this time for the 2009 Tigers :) )

This is very possible as I look at this chart. It's a very good possibility we lose 2 out of 3 to the White Sox. I definitely think we lose 2 out of 3 to the Nationals.We very rarely sweep the Tigers and KC always plays us tough. Cleveland will definitely dominate the Angels and I think their pitching will beat the Nationals. Good possibility of this happening especially with seemingly half our team injured. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#12 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• 341 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:55 AM

I totally agree with the original poster. Better play your best guys and play your hardest these last 20 games. In my opinion, Wild Card doesn't mean squat! It's just a gimmick! You play the season to win your division. 

#13 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• 959 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:13 AM

I think the Twins will back into the playoffs but we've already seen that this team can easily drop a series to the Tigers and other bad teams and they struggle to win against good pitching. Now the offense is further banged up and the rotation is so uncompetitive they're throwing bullpen games to try and squeak by. It may come down to whether or not Cleveland takes care of their business, and lately they're looking like a tough out.

#14 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,359 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM

I imagine Cleveland is pumped and Terry Francona is doing everything he can to make this competitive when the Twins come to Cleveland in 3 days. The next six games are playoff games, folks.

Sadly, Cave has to be well, Sano ahs to be on the field, and Arraez has to be somewhere. Without Cruz, the Twins have...Willians as DH? Anyone know when Gonzalez might come back? 

You would think this team would own Target Field. Great crowds. Some funky spots. Real grass. Did I say great crowds?

• FlauerPauer likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#15 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:47 AM

This is very possible as I look at this chart. It's a very good possibility we lose 2 out of 3 to the White Sox. I definitely think we lose 2 out of 3 to the Nationals.We very rarely sweep the Tigers and KC always plays us tough. Cleveland will definitely dominate the Angels and I think their pitching will beat the Nationals. Good possibility of this happening especially with seemingly half our team injured. 

Yeah, the Twins schedule is easier, but Cleveland's may not be as tough as it looks. They're playing the Angels without Trout right now. Philly may be virtually eliminated by the time Clevelands plays them. And they get to play Washington at the very end of the season, when Washington's wild card spot may be wrapped up.

• woolywoolhouse likes this

#16 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,071 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, the Twins schedule is easier, but Cleveland's may not be as tough as it looks. They're playing the Angels without Trout right now. Philly may be virtually eliminated by the time Clevelands plays them. And they get to play Washington at the very end of the season, when Washington's wild card spot may be wrapped up.

Boy, you're just full of good news today, ain'tcha?? 

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#17 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:06 AM

Boy, you're just full of good news today, ain'tcha?? 

73933a319e0f49aeb8b2cf7c52a95f298a005c2ff23cfb121623914d5b91f35e.jpg

• USAFChief, woolywoolhouse and twinbythebay like this

#18 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,426 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:09 AM

I imagine Cleveland is pumped and Terry Francona is doing everything he can to make this competitive when the Twins come to Cleveland in 3 days. The next six games are playoff games, folks.

Sadly, Cave has to be well, Sano ahs to be on the field, and Arraez has to be somewhere. Without Cruz, the Twins have...Willians as DH? Anyone know when Gonzalez might come back? 

You would think this team would own Target Field. Great crowds. Some funky spots. Real grass. Did I say great crowds?

On the contrary, Cleveland has lost 5.5 games to the Twins in less than a month.They went from up 1/2 game to down 5 in 25 games.They have lost ground to the Twins in the last 10 days and currently sit 1/2 game out of the 2nd Wild Card position.If this were Indians daily, I am guessing the panic button would be stuck to the table after being jammed so many times.

They might be pumped, but the Twins are very much in the driver's seat while they are on the outside looking in.

• mickeymental, howieramone2, FlauerPauer and 1 other like this

#19 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:19 AM

I think the Twins will back into the playoffs but we've already seen that this team can easily drop a series to the Tigers and other bad teams and they struggle to win against good pitching.

The Twins haven't dropped a series to the Tigers yet this season (they did split one 4-gamer). The only series they've dropped against "bad teams" would be losing 2 of 3 to the White Sox, and then losing 3 of 4 to Toronto way back in April.

As for struggling against good pitchers, I'd guess most teams do that, otherwise we wouldn't call it "good pitching". :) That said, since the start of August, we've won games against Soroka, Minor, Lynn, Lopez, and Giolito. We don't win them all, but we hold our own against good pitchers.

• diehardtwinsfan and FlauerPauer like this

#20 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:26 AM

On the contrary, Cleveland has lost 5.5 games to the Twins in less than a month.They went from up 1/2 game to down 5 in 25 games.They have lost ground to the Twins in the last 10 days and currently sit 1/2 game out of the 2nd Wild Card position.If this were Indians daily, I am guessing the panic button would be stuck to the table after being jammed so many times.

They might be pumped, but the Twins are very much in the driver's seat while they are on the outside looking in.

Yeah, I imagine Cleveland fans might be brooding about getting swept by the Mets and Rays recently -- those aren't bad teams, but a team in Cleveland's position can't really afford to get swept at this point in the season. Especially when they're in direct competition with the Rays, and they haven't been absolutely perfect vs KC and CHW either.

Or they're probably focused on the wild card. FWIW, the wild card wasn't an option in the 2009 Tigers-Twins pennant race as discussed above (Boston won it handily, at least over the AL Central).

• Danchat likes this