Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Red Sox fire GM Dave Dombrowski

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,450 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:57 AM

File under the what have you done for me lately.Red Sox fired GM David Dombrowski (or relieved of duties, if you prefer that description).Very surprising outcome, usually after east titles and a world series, you get a little more rope than that.Must have been some tension here. 

• Oldgoat_MN, tarheeltwinsfan and howieramone2 like this

#2 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 6,824 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:07 AM

File under the what have you done for me lately.Red Sox fired GM David Dombrowski (or relieved of duties, if you prefer that description).Very surprising outcome, usually after east titles and a world series, you get a little more rope than that.Must have been some tension here. 

He was given an unlimited budget and managed to exceed it? (I vaguely recall something similar being said about John Madden)

• Dantes929 likes this

#3 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,123 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:23 AM

Like it did with the Tigers, Dombrowski's genie lamp ran out of wishes. As sweet as it is to spend your way to titles, the bill comes due when the price is untenable payroll obligations extending for years, slowly declining player value on the big club, and a farm system that at least last year ranked among the worst three or four in all of baseball. The Tigers, because of excellent draft position now after a handful of pathetic MLB seasons, have an average farm system. Unfortunately for them, Cabrera is on the books at about $30M per year for four more years! The Tigers start two players who were Twins rejects and probably would be DFA'd again today off their 40-man (Hicks and Goodrum). 

Thank you Falvine, for adhering to a strategy of simultaneously trying to increase asset values for both the MLB team AND the prospect pipeline while avoiding stupid contracts. 

And thanks, Mr. Dombrowski, for giving us today's Tigers. Yanks fans might start to thank you too, who knows?

• nicksaviking, brvama, Dantes929 and 4 others like this

#4 mickeymental

mickeymental

• 1,350 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:24 AM

seems like there must be more to the story. why, indeed.

per espn's marly rivera:

Some Yankees players were in shock to hear about Dave Dombrowski's firing, Gary Sánchez came up to me and asked: "Wow, did the Red Sox just fire their president? Didn't they just win the World Series? Why wouldn't they let him finish out the season?"

• tarheeltwinsfan and howieramone2 like this

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,261 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:31 AM

Like it did with the Tigers, Dombrowski's genie lamp ran out of wishes. As sweet as it is to spend your way to titles, the bill comes due when the price is untenable payroll obligations extending for years, slowly declining player value on the big club, and a farm system that at least last year ranked among the worst three or four in all of baseball. The Tigers, because of excellent draft position now after a handful of pathetic MLB seasons, have an average farm system. Unfortunately for them, Cabrera is on the books at about $30M per year for four more years! The Tigers start two players who were Twins rejects and probably would be DFA'd again today off their 40-man (Hicks and Goodrum).

Thank you Falvine, for adhering to a strategy of simultaneously trying to increase asset values for both the MLB team AND the prospect pipeline while avoiding stupid contracts.

And thanks, Mr. Dombrowski, for giving us today's Tigers. Yanks fans might start to thank you too, who knows?

They won the division more than once. In an off year they will win more than they lose. Why do people fall for this poor owner BS? The Twins haven't even won a playoff series yet, and have one starting pitcher under contract next year. Maybe we should wait to see if they are actually building a sustainable winner just a bit....

Edited by Mike Sixel, 09 September 2019 - 11:42 AM.

• USAFChief, Dantes929, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#6 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 837 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:37 AM

I understand there are no real bad one year contracts, but wouldn't giving Odorizzi a 18 million contract be considered stupid? (Not that they have yet)

Edited by Tomj14, 09 September 2019 - 11:44 AM.

#7 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,123 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM

I understand there are no real bad one year contracts, but wouldn't giving Odorizzi a 18 million contract be considered stupid? (Not that they have yet)

No, not really. I think most would think that was a good move.

• USAFChief, beckmt, blindeke and 3 others like this

#8 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,123 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

They won the division more than once. In an off year they will win more than they lose. Why do people fall for this poor owner BS? The Twins haven't even won a playoff series yet, and have one starting pitcher under contract next year. Maybe we should wait to see if they are actually building a sustainable winner just a bit....

If Dombrowski gets credit for the Tiger's pennants, and he does, he also gets equal credit for them losing 100 games in 2019 with 15% of the schedule remaining and poor prospects for a recovery to even .500 ball in the next couple of years.

We obviously don't know if Boston is going to enter any kind of decline phase. You and I had many debates about the eventual costs the Tigers would pay for their period of success. I suppose many Tigers fans think it's worth today's price to have those great years, and I think that's great. Maybe Boston fans won't pay such a steep price, we don't know.

And Falvey may fail to execute on the asset-based sustainability strategy, but personally, I think his chances of success are higher and his chances of failure are lower. Especially in today's landscape. I wouldn't venture a guess on the timetable forthe Twins winning a playoff series, but very few of us thought it would happen in 2019, right?

I have zero idea what "falling for this poor owner BS" means. 

Edited by birdwatcher, 09 September 2019 - 12:10 PM.

• MN_ExPat and Nine of twelve like this

#9 spycake

spycake

• 16,549 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:24 PM

I think this is an over-simplification.

Drombowski was in Detroit a long time. He took over an organization that was pretty awful and turned it around to have a decade of sustained success, including 2 pennants and acquiring/developing a few Hall of Famers. He took over a much better club in Boston but he delivered some great results quickly too. Let's pause before we declare the Levine/Falvey approach to be superior, shall we?

Dombrowski also did quite well in trades for Detroit:

https://www.masslive...mbrowski_5.html

Yes, the Tigers biffed a couple contracts at the end, although only Cabrera really stands out as hamstringing the franchise, and of course it was Dombrowski who acquired him relatively cheaply in the first place and oversaw his performance jumping to new level. (And I wonder what ownership pressure was like at that point -- didn't Detroit ownership intervene to sign Prince Fielder a few years earlier, leaving Dombrowski to eventually clean up the mess, which he did fairly well.)

Worth remembering the Jordan Zimmermann disaster was on Dombrowski's successor (as was Mike Pelfrey :) ). Detroit was heading for a dry spell although it's possible that Dombrowski could have maneuvered to avoid the current depths. (Dombrowski's successor arguably screwed up by dumping Verlander's contract the way he did too.)

Yes, the minor league pipeline dried up and Dombrowski bears some responsibility for that, but after 15 years, even Falvey and Levine will likely have cycles like that. Hopefully they have multiple pennants and Hall of Famers on their resumes when it happens!

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

#10 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,450 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:29 PM

I think with the number of bad contracts Boston has on the books, it may take a while to get back to the top.Pitching is going to be expensive and that is Boston's shortcomings.Plus at least one key cog is an FA after 2020 and it is going to take a boatload of money to sign him.  

With Dave you know what you are getting, the Red Sox are in better shape, since they can spend around the max a year and still make money. Sucess may elude them for a few years without very good buys and most of them correct, but Cashman and the Yankees have shown the model for this type of club.You have to have good young talent to suceed and the Yankees have found that.Boston still needs the pitching.

#11 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,450 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:31 PM

A least some of those bad contracts are on Cherrington also, in fact more than Dombrowski, so let's not forget that this was a joint effort.

#12 spycake

spycake

• 16,549 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:33 PM

If Dombrowski gets credit for the Tiger's pennants, and he does, he also gets equal credit for them losing 100 games in 2019 with 15% of the schedule remaining and poor prospects for a recovery to even .500 ball in the next couple of years.

I agree he had a hand in both, although more for the pennants than the 2019 club, as he's been out of the org since 2015. It's possible that Dombrowski's 2019 Tigers would still feature an aging gracefully Verlander, and something better for the Zimmermann money. Maybe instead of shedding payroll and playing guys like Goodrum, he would have been actively pursuing his next Scherzer/Cabrera/Polanco type acquisition.

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,610 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:34 PM

He won't be unemployed for long... He's the kind of GM I want. Someone who's not afraid to trade prospects in order to go for a world series title.
  • USAFChief, Badsmerf, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

#14 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,718 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:39 PM

I'm not a Red Sox fan at all, but I think they were pretty smart getting out ahead of this one. Dombrowski gutted the Red Sox farm and hasn't done anything to restock it. Some will say, "so what" because the Red Sox are big spenders, but even they are going to have a hard time re-signing all of their stud young core, a stud young core which should be pointed out wasn't good enough to make the playoffs. 

But more importantly, the Yankees have not gutted their farm AND they will be able to spend on par with the Red Sox. Dombrowski has put the Sox in position to be behind their division rivals for the foreseeable future.

If I was a Red Sox fan, I'd thank Dave for trading for Chris Sale and using him to win the WS last year, and curse him for extending Sale last spring and not getting extensions done with Betts, Benintendi and Devers while they were still affordable.

• beckmt and blindeke like this

#15 spycake

spycake

• 16,549 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:42 PM

I think with the number of bad contracts Boston has on the books, it may take a while to get back to the top.  

It's tough to get to the top, even with a good team, but I don't think it's too bleak for Boston. Sale is still pretty great, health scare aside. JD Martinez too. Price is decent. The extension for Bogaerts looks fantastic so far.

Eovaldi was a reach, but he was a World Series winning hero and his contract shouldn't be crippling. 

As you allude to in your other post, Porcello, Sandoval, Pedroia, and Rusney Castillo are all still getting paid from the previous FO. But their deals are pretty much done by the end of 2019 or 2020 -- they'll still have the money to re-sign Betts if they want, or bid for a comparable superstar in FA.

Edited by spycake, 09 September 2019 - 12:52 PM.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#16 spycake

spycake

• 16,549 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:44 PM

a stud young core which should be pointed out wasn't good enough to make the playoffs. 

So not winning the AL East for 4 straight years is worth pointing out as a sign of core weakness? Tough crowd!

• USAFChief, Vanimal46 and SF Twins Fan like this

#17 spycake

spycake

• 16,549 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:04 PM

Dombrowski gutted the Red Sox farm and hasn't done anything to restock it.

But more importantly, the Yankees have not gutted their farm

This might be another overstatement.

Dombrowski traded Moncada (and the injured prospect Kopech), but Sale is still arguably better (and of course won them a WS last year).

Beyond that, Dombrowski hasn't traded many/any prospects from Boston who have turned out elsewhere.

Of course, he hasn't add many prospects either, which hurts. NYY added Torres and Frazier (and Sheffield, who turned into Chapman) in the Chapman and Miller deals back in 2016, but of course Dombrowski didn't have that luxury as his team was beating the Yankees that year. Beyond that, there's not necessarily a big gulf between the two clubs -- at least not until some of the current Yankee top prospects come up and contribute. And that's just better amateur scouting/drafting/signing, as opposed to actively dealing good prospects.

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,718 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:06 PM

So not winning the AL East for 4 straight years is worth pointing out as a sign of core weakness? Tough crowd!

Not at all. I was pointing out that their stud young core didn't get it done this year and considering the Yankees have both a better farm, deeper pockets and their own stud young core, it looks like the Red Sox have been usurped and likely for the foreseeable future.

Even while they spend on free agents that team really needs to restock its talent pool, and Dombrowski has not proven to be particularly capable at that skill set.

#19 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,610 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:22 PM

Let's talk about the Red Sox "gutting" the farm:

Chris Sale trade:

Yoan Moncada - finally living up to his #1 overall prospect hype 3 years after they traded him. 2 years service time now.

Michael Kopech - lots of hype, blew out his arm and missed 2019.

Luis Basabe - career .695 OPS in AA. Entering age 23 season in 2020.

Victor Diaz - out of baseball

Craig Kimbrel Trade:

Manuel Margot - 1.5 bWAR player the last 2 years. 6.1 total bWAR.

Javy Guerra - no bat SS. .665 career OPS in the minors.

Logan Allen - Now on Cleveland Indians.

Carlos Asuaje - now a 27 year old no bat 2B toiling in Arizona's system.

Drew Pomeranz trade:

Anderson Espinoza - out of baseball.

He actually did a good job keeping the young core together that we are familiar with. There were rumors in the past of trading Benintendi for Hamels. He was also reluctant to trade Boegarts and Devers as well.

Can anyone show me where he "gutted" the Red Sox farm system?
  • Mike Sixel and Tomj14 like this

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,610 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:26 PM

Not at all. I was pointing out that their stud young core didn't get it done this year and considering the Yankees have both a better farm, deeper pockets and their own stud young core, it looks like the Red Sox have been usurped and likely for the foreseeable future.

Even while they spend on free agents that team really needs to restock its talent pool, and Dombrowski has not proven to be particularly capable at that skill set.

The Yankees don't have that deep of pockets unless they go above the luxury tax threshold again.

$164 million in commitments already for 2020. Compared to $149 million for the Red Sox.

https://www.spotrac....b/payroll/2020/