Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

"Resting" players

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#161 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,284 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted Yesterday, 07:25 AM

Why in the world would anyone question the tactics that led to a potential 100-win season?

It's fair to question everything. Except, maybe, the right to question everything.

I think its remarkable that people sitting at home watching on TV

Don't go there. You're not in the dugout, and neither am I nor anyone else. Just discuss the topic, not your fellow posters.

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#162 Only Here in Negative

Only Here in Negative

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 110 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:25 AM

I dont think managing injuries and resting players are related.

There's zero evidence resting players results in fewer future injuries.

1. There's also no direct evidence that resting players doesn't result in future injuries.

2. There's significant indirect evidence that it does. Kinetic sports science has hundreds of article and theories about the importance of rest to athletic performance, many focused on track athletes. Plus, in all professional sports, where business are betting money on team outcome, management is working to reduce playing time. Football doesn't run RBs 400 times anymore, basketball rests stars all the time, and hockey players increasingly get games off. That's not a direct study but with that much money on the line (and the potential to piss off the customer paying to watch), it's indicative that there is some evidence.

3. It also doesn't have to be about injury. Even if it doesn't reduce injuries, it may make players more effective when they have time off. Rocco is big on letting guys know days ahead of time when they'll get a rest, which speaks to the mental health aspect of it. Injury plays a role but I think the Twins (and other teams) also think that it helps guys if they have a light day every week or two.

• twinsnorth49 likes this

#163 Only Here in Negative

Only Here in Negative

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 110 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:37 AM

It's fair to question everything. Except, maybe, the right to question everything.

Don't go there. You're not in the dugout either.

Wasn't stifling free speech. But I think its acceptable to say "Why go down this path?"

And I'm not claiming to know better than the guys in the dugout. That's kind of my point. I'm saying trust the guys in the dugout. Management has access to such a vast amount of high quality information (statistical and experiential) that its rather shocking we don't trust them on something where our disagreement is based solely on conjecture. "Trust the guy in the dugout with access" is a perfectly rational response.

I feel the same way when people disagree with beat writers about the things they see and report on in the clubhouse (thinking the comments section of The Athletic on this one). The beat writer is there, you're watching the game on TV. I'm not saying we should swallow what they say as gospel (and if its Souhan we should ignore it!) but lets not pretend that we somehow know better because we played Legion Ball.

I think the anonymity of the internet brings this on. If one of us talked to Rocco face-to-face or had a chance to write him a letter he'd read, I don't think we'd be questioning this so harshly. We'd be more polite and likely ask it as a question: "Hey, what's your reasoning for resting players?" instead of "Hey, stop resting players! Its stupid!" But since its just posting online, we feel we can pose as experts. And I'm guilty of this as much as the next person BTW :-)

#164 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 502 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:50 AM

Wasn't stifling free speech. But I think its acceptable to say "Why go down this path?"

And I'm not claiming to know better than the guys in the dugout. That's kind of my point. I'm saying trust the guys in the dugout. Management has access to such a vast amount of high quality information (statistical and experiential) that its rather shocking we don't trust them on something where our disagreement is based solely on conjecture. "Trust the guy in the dugout with access" is a perfectly rational response.

I feel the same way when people disagree with beat writers about the things they see and report on in the clubhouse (thinking the comments section of The Athletic on this one). The beat writer is there, you're watching the game on TV. I'm not saying we should swallow what they say as gospel (and if its Souhan we should ignore it!) but lets not pretend that we somehow know better because we played Legion Ball.

I think the anonymity of the internet brings this on. If one of us talked to Rocco face-to-face or had a chance to write him a letter he'd read, I don't think we'd be questioning this so harshly. We'd be more polite and likely ask it as a question: "Hey, what's your reasoning for resting players?" instead of "Hey, stop resting players! Its stupid!" But since its just posting online, we feel we can pose as experts. And I'm guilty of this as much as the next person BTW :-)

FWIW, I think you gave a well reasoned contribution to the topic. The Twins are at least going to get close to 100 wins, and they’re going to do so with relatively few injuries. Is there a direct line to be drawn between rest and fewer injuries? Maybe and maybe not, but logically one seems likely to follow the other.

There is, however, a direct line between talking to the players daily and knowing how they (say they) feel. There is no such line for those of us watching on TV. I’m not sure why that’s controversial.
  • twinsnorth49 likes this

#165 Only Here in Negative

Only Here in Negative

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 110 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:08 AM

FWIW, I think you gave a well reasoned contribution to the topic. The Twins are at least going to get close to 100 wins, and they’re going to do so with relatively few injuries. Is there a direct line to be drawn between rest and fewer injuries? Maybe and maybe not, but logically one seems likely to follow the other.

There is, however, a direct line between talking to the players daily and knowing how they (say they) feel. There is no such line for those of us watching on TV. I’m not sure why that’s controversial.

Good call on "say they feel". I regularly reflexively say fine when my wife asks how my day was, imagine if they were printing that response. Being a beat writer seems both amazing and also super hard. 

#166 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,746 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:29 AM

This is a great experiment but you'd need to expand it to get a larger sample. One year is too random. If you did this every year for the last 50 years, you'd get a pattern. If it really was 2.17 vs. 1.93, that's not a meaningless difference. That's about a 25% increase in the number of players playing 150. Its not the end of the world but it would show a drop.

Catcher might be an interesting place to look as well since that's the position where rest makes the most sense. Looking at catcher performance against league average compared to average games played would maybe provide some insight

My math says 11% decrease, not 25%. (?)

• Only Here in Negative likes this