Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

"Resting" players

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#41 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,071 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:26 PM

Who has been resting more than expected? It seems to me we are even seeing fewer 'Get-away-day' Sunday lineups than we saw with Gardy and Molitor.

They're all resting more than I would like.

It's part of Baldelli's "style." Regular, scheduled off days. 

http://www.startribu...nner/510596922/

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#42 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,734 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:40 PM

They're all resting more than I would like.

It's part of Baldelli's "style." Regular, scheduled off days. 

http://www.startribu...nner/510596922/

It's hard to argue with the results, but I don't see anything in there showing the players are actually taking fewer games off. This is the closest I see:

That’s why he has pushed back bus time to the ballpark on the road, and has canceled once-daily batting practice nearly a third of the time — “show-and-go” is the baseball term for it, and it’s written on the clubhouse whiteboard at least once or twice a week. Baldelli has also mapped out regular off days for every player on the roster, and downplayed any notion of “the Twins way” in favor of “do what works for you.”

The Twins players had off days with Gardy and Molitor too, but they weren't mapped out, it was just usually Sundays. The extra rest guys are getting seems like it's mostly less BP and not having to get to the ballpark long before necessary. 

• brvama, Danchat and MN_ExPat like this

#43 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,746 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:52 PM

I agree with the premise of resting players. The season, including spring training, is at least 7 months long. Players don't have weekends off like the rest of us. We can only imagine how relentless the grind is.

I have long entertained the idea that players should be given a little two-week vacation during the season to keep them fresh. While this isn't realistic, I think it would be healthy to get away from the game and come back refreshed.

How Baldelli has handled the team this year is fine with me. Gone are the days when the Jerry Terrells of the world hardly ever played.

• Kelly Vance and MN_ExPat like this

#44 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 214 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:18 PM

I like the approach Rocco has took from the first press conference till now. We could fire him and he wouldn't be unemployed long enough to clean out his office. I think he is a great manager and hope that he is here for the next 10-20 years.

The part that still makes me go WHAT? is that there are still those who wonder if we are going to make the playoffs. 

• Jaykay and MN_ExPat like this

#45 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,071 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:29 PM

It's hard to argue with the results, but I don't see anything in there showing the players are actually taking fewer games off. This is the closest I see:

That’s why he has pushed back bus time to the ballpark on the road, and has canceled once-daily batting practice nearly a third of the time — “show-and-go” is the baseball term for it, and it’s written on the clubhouse whiteboard at least once or twice a week. Baldelli has also mapped out regular off days for every player on the roster, and downplayed any notion of “the Twins way” in favor of “do what works for you.”

The Twins players had off days with Gardy and Molitor too, but they weren't mapped out, it was just usually Sundays. The extra rest guys are getting seems like it's mostly less BP and not having to get to the ballpark long before necessary. 

And I'd like the regulars to play 155 games, minimum. 158 is more like it, and truth be told, 162 isn't asking too much. It's never been out of the norm for players other than catchers.

I highly doubt an extra day off makes any difference whatsoever in how they feel, or function. And I'd rather the regulars be in the lineup when available, since there's a really good chance they'll be out of the lineup due to injury at some point anyway. Why intentionally add time off?

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#46 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 681 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:38 PM

And I'd like the regulars to play 155 games, minimum. 158 is more like it, and truth be told, 162 isn't asking too much. It's never been out of the norm for players other than catchers.

I highly doubt an extra day off makes any difference whatsoever in how they feel, or function. And I'd rather the regulars be in the lineup when available, since there's a really good chance they'll be out of the lineup due to injury at some point anyway. Why intentionally add time off?

Because we are human and need rest. And God created the Sabbath specifically for that reason. 

• gbg, howieramone2 and MN_ExPat like this

#47 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:04 PM

You and Morneau might be right, but I'm not sure the data is too meaningful.

Morneau's best season -- 2010 -- he didn't play in August or September. 2009, he had a specific back injury that he tried to play through in August and September, etc. I wonder how much those events can skew things?

And what's a normal variation in career half-season splits? Cuddyer is +.025 in the 2nd half for his career, Jacque Jones +.049. Kubel is -.036. Mauer and Hunter are pretty much even (less than .010 difference). From Morneau's "similar batters" list at B-Ref, contemporary Prince Fielder is +.025, Adrian Gonzalez +.042, Adam LaRoche +.071, and Aubrey Huff +.069. Thome is -.028, Willingham -.046.

Of course, every player is different too.

And this is where data will be key to this kind of approach working. Not every player is going to react the same to a heavy workload but in Justin's case, it was pretty obvious he couldn't carry that kind of load (not an insult to him or anything, humans are different). He even admits as much and it's backed up by a declining career OPS as the season wears down.

Maybe the blanket answer is "let everyone rest because we can't identify who needs it most" but I hope that in today's game, they have enough data to start figuring out how to best approach each person because we're all different with different needs.

• howieramone2 and MN_ExPat like this

#48 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:07 PM

BTW, I'm not sure starters are really being rested that much, anyway. Polanco is on pace for 155 games. Kepler was on roughly the same pace until the injury. Rosario would be over 150 if not for the IL stint.

The rest are too hard to figure out because of the myriad of injuries and downtime suffered on this roster.

• Seth Stohs, brvama, spycake and 3 others like this

#49 Huskertwin

Huskertwin

Elizabethton Twins

• 12 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:01 PM

I really hate it when we rest someone and replace him with a player who is playing out of position. Adrianza is not a major league first baseman and cost of two runs by missing that ball in the 2nd inning that Cruz would have turned into a double play. And the prior time Adrianza played first he had two misplays on fielding/catching the ball. Of course I do like Adrianza's bat, but the fielding needs to be taken into account as well. Baldelli has gotten pretty lucky with Arraez in LF but early on he cost us runs. I know we're shorthanded in the outfield now, but try to use actual outfielders when possible.  

• h2oface and Platoon like this

#50 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,082 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

I really hate it when we rest someone and replace him with a player who is playing out of position. Adrianza is not a major league first baseman and cost of two runs by missing that ball in the 2nd inning that Cruz would have turned into a double play. And the prior time Adrianza played first he had two misplays on fielding/catching the ball. Of course I do like Adrianza's bat, but the fielding needs to be taken into account as well. Baldelli has gotten pretty lucky with Arraez in LF but early on he cost us runs. I know we're shorthanded in the outfield now, but try to use actual outfielders when possible.

I like this because someone recognizes that 1B defense IS important. Sadly, thats not as widely held an opinion as I would think it should be. I will say I am not sure Cruz was who you meant? Cron?
  • brvama and Huskertwin like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#51 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,082 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:48 PM

Two comments on Rocco the Rester. I am not a fan of "scheduled" days off. I have read he makes out lineups a week in advance? Don't you paint yourself into a corner doing that. Keeping players happy while making out a lineup is not that easy as is. Secondly, much has been made of the catcher situation. Healthy, decent to good numbers. Is this the result of some grand plan, or is this the result of having differing splits for a RH and a LH hitting catchers?
  • notoriousgod71 and Huskertwin like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#52 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,718 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:19 PM

I recognize it was Bert & Jim Kaat talking but they both made the point on Berrios that putting him out on 3 days rest would have been more beneficial than giving him the extra day at 5 days rest going into the RedSox game. I do get the "recovery" metrics of today's game and won't argue the statistical merits but this is developing into a pattern for Jose. 2 seasons in a row now for him. On the outfield - ouch..I think everyone now wishes we still had Jaylin, and not Dyson. That may prove to hurt. Who'd have thought we'd be so far down the totem pole on outfielders in September.

With all due respect to Bert and Kaat, no way can Berrios perform like that.

Pitchers today simply cannot go as deep into games and I believe it has a lot to do with the reality that there is no way a pitcher can keep their muscles loose to pitch for much over two hours.Games are so damn long now and the human body just isn't made to go deep in today's game.The average length of a ballgame today as compared to the 1970s is forty minutes longer.I think we hit a tipping point a while back.

Not only that you have a guy like Berrios who works out like crazy, but does he really do the proper working out?

Food for thought

• Huskertwin and In My La-Z-boy like this

#53 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,089 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:24 PM

Two comments on Rocco the Rester. I am not a fan of "scheduled" days off. I have read he makes out lineups a week in advance? Don't you paint yourself into a corner doing that. Keeping players happy while making out a lineup is not that easy as is. Secondly, much has been made of the catcher situation. Healthy, decent to good numbers. Is this the result of some grand plan, or is this the result of having differing splits for a RH and a LH hitting catchers?

I think a big factor was getting Marwin Gonzalez on the team, and he could start in a lot of spots and not embarrass himself like past Twins bench players would. Add on Adrianza's solid season at the plate and Arraez's brilliance, and I find it hard to say resting players has been a negative thing. They've been throwing quality lineups out there on almost every day thanks to the depth this team has.

• stringer bell, SwainZag, Kelly Vance and 2 others like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#54 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 2,907 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:45 PM

Let's not forget that in the last CBA they agreed to ADDITIONAL days off throughout the course of the season. They are already automatically getting more rest than they would have previously.

• USAFChief likes this

#55 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 2,907 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:50 PM

THIS.

There have been times were guys have had multi-home run games and then are on the bench the next day.

Also, early in the season it seemed to me he did this with the bullpen, where our set up guys were pitching in blowouts and guys like Vazquez pitched in a close game.

• Jerr and Huskertwin like this

#56 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 2,907 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:56 PM

I think this is the kind of thing we need more than one season to evaluate and even then we likely won't know if it helps (but the Twins might).

Resting players doesn't make injuries disappear. But if it reduces the chance of injury by, say 10%, then it's a significant step in the right direction.

We wouldn't even notice a 10% drop in injuries but after a few years, the Twins may be able to quantify the difference.

I think just writing off the idea as "well, people still get injured" misses the point of the exercise. And I'm not even saying rest is actually working - though I suspect it is on some level - only that we have no idea if it's working.

Fun fact- I reduced the number of speeding tickets I got by driving less. Not because I slowed down.*

Injuries SHOULD go down if you're not playing.

*Story may or may not be true as the scenario was used to make point and I am a law-abiding citizen that would never speed.

• ashbury and h2oface like this

#57 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,419 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:06 AM

As long as we are talking about reserves, where they play, etc., I have a question.Has anyone besides me been impressed with Arraez' play at third base?Seems like he fields the position well and has enough arm to be average or better.Is it possible he is a better third baseman, defensively, than at second?

#58 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 176 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:49 AM

They're all a bunch of wimps. Try doing construction work for 10 hours a day Monday thru Friday and 5 hours on Saturday every week for 12 months out of the year. 

How much "work" do these over-paid well-conditioned athletes really do? I understand there is more to their day than just playing the game but really! Physically they don't exert themselves unless they're running on the field somewhere. Almost half the game they're sitting in the dugout. That 2 hours on the field waiting for the ball to get hit to them must be strenuous. I suppose swinging for the fences everytime can cause oblique strains and tweaked wrists, sore shoulders and pulled muscles but then maybe you should be smarter than that and not swing harder than you need to. I laugh everytime I hear someone isn't playing because they need rest. He can rest after the game and on scheduled off days. 

• Huskertwin likes this

#59 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:22 AM

They're all a bunch of wimps. Try doing construction work for 10 hours a day Monday thru Friday and 5 hours on Saturday every week for 12 months out of the year. 

How much "work" do these over-paid well-conditioned athletes really do? I understand there is more to their day than just playing the game but really! Physically they don't exert themselves unless they're running on the field somewhere. Almost half the game they're sitting in the dugout. That 2 hours on the field waiting for the ball to get hit to them must be strenuous. I suppose swinging for the fences everytime can cause oblique strains and tweaked wrists, sore shoulders and pulled muscles but then maybe you should be smarter than that and not swing harder than you need to. I laugh everytime I hear someone isn't playing because they need rest. He can rest after the game and on scheduled off days. 

If they're such wimps, you should get out there and show them all how it's really done.

• howieramone2 and MN_ExPat like this

#60 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,426 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:09 AM

How many people are watching your 10 hour work day under a thick microscope?How many people call you out when you dog it the last 2 hours or your day?Take an extra 10 minutes for lunch?Not carry the max load every single time to a jobsite? 

And the real question is....does your company have people lined up to take your spot when your back is a little sore and can't haul as much?A "sore muscle" or a "tweaked back" or a "strained hamstring" is the difference between making a throw, making an extra base, 5-6 MPH on your fastball..With professional athletics, especially baseball, there is such a thin line between being a capable major league player and not.If a guy can't run to first, he isn't playing period.If my pitcher who throws 95, can only get 88 because of something in his arm, he isn't playing.He isn't good enough too."The shucks, you don't do much, rub some dirt on it" doesn't apply because there are people who can get it done.

I absolutely hate the argument that athletes are above us and need to work harder when everything they do is live for the world to see.Eddie doesn't hustle down to 1st on a grounder to the pitcher? We light him up on the forum.A guy is held out of the lineup with a sore back?We light up him in the forum.There is no one watching me intensely right now thinking..."Wow, swainzag is posting on that dang Twins Daily site again instead of doing his work paperwork again let's get rid of him"

• Brock Beauchamp, SQUIRREL, brvama and 3 others like this