Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

"Resting" players

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#1 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,063 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:10 PM

Next year, I hope Rocco (and the front office) recognizes the futility of "resting" players during the regular season.

Rocco has given players way too much scheduled time off, to what benefit? All you do is willingly hold your better players out of too many games.

It does little to nothing in terms of keeping them healthy, or "rested."

All it does is intentionally reduce the number of games played by your best lineup.
  • Jerr, jjswol, notoriousgod71 and 7 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#2 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,358 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:20 PM

It certainly hasn’t kept anyone healthy.

Buxton, Cave, Rosario, Gonzalez and Cruz are all out. Although it sounds like Cruz should be back Tuesday. Rosario and Kepler are nursing injuries/illness.

#3 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 318 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:29 PM

Maybe he should have rested them more.I hope the post-season chances aren't unraveling with this confluence of injuries. 

• Mike Frasier Law, raindog, Kelly Vance and 6 others like this

#4 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 2,903 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:40 PM

Next year, I hope Rocco (and the front office) recognizes the futility of "resting" players during the regular season.

Rocco has given players way too much scheduled time off, to what benefit? All you do is willingly hold your better players out of too many games.

All it does is intentionally reduce the number of games played by your best lineup.

I also get very annoyed with the "left due to precautionary reasons" statement. You're either hurt or you're not. It seems like someone could sneeze out on the field and immediately be removed to see if he needs TJS or something.

I'm hoping some of these guys could play their ailments but it's a new generation, even though I am younger than some players.

#5 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,237 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

On one hand, the offense put up historic numbers this year, which I personally feel was helped by the mental and physical rest provided by the scheduled off days.

On the other hand, here we are at the end, and seems like everyone is limping to the end anyway.
  • Brandon, blindeke, Platoon and 1 other like this

#6 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,424 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

They are on pace to win 100 games, they set the MLB HR record and players all over the lineup are having career years.We not assuming any of that is due to giving the players some extra rest during the year?

• Brock Beauchamp, Seth Stohs, luckylager and 31 others like this

#7 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,082 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:43 PM

I truly did not understand the LaMarre AB. As I don't dwell on every word the talking heads spew forth, maybe I missed a reason someone like Sano could not have hit? If the only reason was to "rest" Sano, then I think Rocco needs to reevaluate that process. One should remeber that Sano has had a considerable amount of rest already this season.
  • Jerr likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#8 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,082 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:47 PM

On one hand, the offense put up historic numbers this year, which I personally feel was helped by the mental and physical rest provided by the scheduled off days.
On the other hand, here we are at the end, and seems like everyone is limping to the end anyway.

While I liked this, I do wonder whether all those numbers are also the result of the some of our youth finally maturing, a much different approach at the plate, and the new Maxflite baseball that MLB and AAA now launch, er I mean use.
  • Original Whizzinator likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,237 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:50 PM

While I liked this, I do wonder whether all those numbers are also the result of the some of our youth finally maturing, a much different approach at the plate, and the new Maxflite baseball that MLB and AAA now launch, er I mean use.

Good point. I think a little bit of everything.
  • Original Whizzinator and rkevin like this

#10 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,409 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:04 PM

I think when you have the depth that this team has, you take advantage and spread the playing time around HOPING that there’s a payoff in terms of health by the end of the season. Doesn’t really seam that there’s been much of a payoff. Or, maybe the assumptions have just changed...and players only play when everything is perfect now...and it would have been even worse without the rest? I do think at some point, all the ‘precautionary’ rest and time off results in less, not more, productive time on the field for a given player.

And I think pinch-hitting Ryan LaMarre is weird. Maybe the chip they’ve implanted in Sano indicated a fever of 98.7. He’s day-to-day.

#11 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,063 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:20 PM

They are on pace to win 100 games, they set the MLB HR record and players all over the lineup are having career years. We not assuming any of that is due to giving the players some extra rest during the year?

Or perhaps they've cheated themselves out of even better stats by not playing the players primarily responsible for accumulating them.

Injuries are another story, of course. Although it's often a fine line there, too. But I generally defer to the manager, trainer, and players to know when to play through owies, and when not to. And it happens a lot, nobody goes through a 162 game schedule perfectly healthy all the time.

But this business of scheduled days off? Folly, iyam.
  • bighat likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#12 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,583 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:45 PM

Or perhaps they've cheated themselves out of even better stats by not playing the players primarily responsible for accumulating them.

Injuries are another story, of course. Although it's often a fine line there, too. But I generally defer to the manager, trainer, and players to know when to play through owies, and when not to. And it happens a lot, nobody goes through a 162 game schedule perfectly healthy all the time.

But this business of scheduled days off? Folly, iyam.

Who are we talking about here? The only ones with OPS less than .740 is Astudillo.Gonzalez is at .743 but that was after a slow start and if not given those chances to keep sharp might not have carried us last month.I'm pretty sure you want to keep Garver fresh by not catching him every day. Who has had significant playing time that you would want to eliminate?

• Riverbrian, SwainZag, Kelly Vance and 6 others like this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#13 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,682 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:24 AM

Rocco and the FO won't change a thing concerning resting players. What you're seeing is advanced, advanced metrics put into practice. TR during his first stint as GM was known as an innovator, you're seeing basically the same thing from Rocco.

• Kelly Vance and ewen21 like this

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,647 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:35 AM

Imagine how many injuries/aches they would have if not given rest... no way to know for sure on any of it, but I will take the results of this season as encouraging!

• SQUIRREL, glunn, Brandon and 10 others like this

#15 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 81 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:47 AM

I recognize it was Bert & Jim Kaat talking but they both made the point on Berrios that putting him out on 3 days rest would have been more beneficial than giving him the extra day at 5 days rest going into the RedSox game. I do get the "recovery" metrics of today's game and won't argue the statistical merits but this is developing into a pattern for Jose. 2 seasons in a row now for him. On the outfield - ouch..I think everyone now wishes we still had Jaylin, and not Dyson. That may prove to hurt. Who'd have thought we'd be so far down the totem pole on outfielders in September.

• h2oface likes this

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,725 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:52 AM

Imagine how many injuries/aches they would have if not given rest... no way to know for sure on any of it, but I will take the results of this season as encouraging!

Yeah, there looks like a correlation, but only one year of results is probably too small to draw any conclusions at this time. 

But yeah, an offensive surge unlike anything we've seen before, something in the range of a 100 win season and an emphasis on good depth on the bench because of the plan to rest players. I'm a fan and I hope they continue doing it.

• Riverbrian, Kelly Vance, Dman and 7 others like this

#17 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 350 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:59 AM

The Pineda fiasco is the camel's back straw. Twins were not going a long way in the playoffs anyway and they have been fortunate in the injury category until now. I hope they can at least avoid sweeps (by the other team) in the next 2 series and then limp home against Tigers, WSox and Royals. The best teams finish strong. Twins started very strong, have managed to hold their own lately in a weak Central and now will probably simply hold on for dear life.

• bighat likes this

#18 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 367 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:01 AM

Unnecessarily resting your best players is stupid.

• USAFChief, Jerr, h2oface and 1 other like this

#19 jjswol

jjswol

• 73 posts
  • LocationMinnesota or Florida

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:06 AM

Right on USAFChief.

[FONT=arial black]jjswol
[/FONT]

#20 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,682 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:07 AM

The Pineda fiasco is the camel's back straw. Twins were not going a long way in the playoffs anyway and they have been fortunate in the injury category until now. I hope they can at least avoid sweeps (by the other team) in the next 2 series and then limp home against Tigers, WSox and Royals. The best teams finish strong. Twins started very strong, have managed to hold their own lately in a weak Central and now will probably simply hold on for dear life.

Kirby Puckett once said, the way to win the division is to win early, and then hold on for dear life.

• h2oface, bighat and MN_ExPat like this