Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Acquire OF Ryan LaMarre

ryan lamarre
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,475 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:33 PM

I like the move. Ryan is a decent hitter and was red hot out of ST last year. Molly refused to play him, even though he hit over .400 in ST, so he finally cooled off from non use. Molly lost my respect for his bone head Gardy style of playing favorites.

Ryan could come in and give Eddie, Keps and even Buck some time off. I like it. Wade is not the answer and Cave is banged up. Gonzo is not back yet. This move makes a lot of sense. 

Its a part time job, but Ryan fits as a sub right now.

Lots of people hit really well in spring training. It means nothing.

#22 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:55 PM

Interesting that the Twins went this direction rather than calling up a prospect like Brent Rooker who needs to be added to the 40-man roster after the season.

Does Rooker have to be added to the 40 man this year? He was drafted in 2017, so I thought he had another year...

SteelDodo, you are correct, and Seth is incorrect. Rooker doesn't need a 40-man spot this winter, as he is not Rule 5 eligible until December 2020.

Raley and Wiel at AAA are both Rule 5 eligible this winter, though. (Wiel was already eligible last winter and went unclaimed -- I wouldn't expect him to be protected this winter.)

Edited by spycake, 08 September 2019 - 02:56 PM.

#23 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:01 PM

I don’t see the point of this with Miller already on the roster, but this spot won’t be playoff eligible so it means nothing.

The spot could have been playoff eligible if they used it on a guy who was in the org on August 31st, and petitioned to replace an injured postseason eligible player like Gordon. (Like they would have to do for Miller or Graterol to make them postseason eligible, as neither was added to the 40-man until Sep. 1st.)

#24 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:13 PM

.311/.380/.477 in AAA seems good to me.

It's not bad (121 wRC+), but it's not all that notable either. For example, De Aza had a .352/.432/.609 (165 wRC+) for Rochester in the same league.

#25 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,350 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:33 PM

This is an indication of the health of the Twins outfield, nothing more nothing less.

Nobody on the twins thinks Lamarre is any kind of answer, nor is this about "giving him a chance." This isnt about Lamarre grounding a couple singles to right field last spring.

The Twins are short of healthy outfielders and are trying to limp out the regular season. Lamarre happened to be available.
  • ashbury, brvama, Dman and 3 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#26 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 743 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:11 PM

Lots of people hit really well in spring training. It means nothing.

If it means nothing then why did he make the team going North?

He came outta nowhere and hit like .480 in Florida. That is why he made the team. 

So don't tell me it means nothing. 

#27 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,350 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:17 PM

He came outta nowhere and hit like .480 in Florida. That is why he made the team.

he then gave the Twins 109 PAs of .635 OPS and was gone.

It means next to nothing.
  • jud6312 and purplesoldier4u like this

#28 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:22 PM

It’s worth noting that decisions like playing LaMarre are why Paul Molitor is the Twins FORMER manager.
  • Kelly Vance likes this

#29 ken

ken

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 176 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:44 PM

It’s worth noting that decisions like playing LaMarre are why Paul Molitor is the Twins FORMER manager.

If Molitor had just played Robbie Grossman more I'm sure the FO would kept him on. 😀.
  • Seth Stohs likes this

#30 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 743 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:16 PM

he then gave the Twins 109 PAs of .635 OPS and was gone.

It means next to nothing.

You forget. He was red hot and Molly refused to use him until, after sitting with a hot streak and .485 BA coming out of ST,he cooled off while sitting the bench. Molitor ruined the guys chances. 

#31 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:16 PM

They do in September, in case of injury. How many at bats does Ian Miller have, btw?

They both got into the game today.
They aren't going to carry someone who will literally not play once.

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 08 September 2019 - 05:17 PM.

• VivaBomboRivera! likes this

#32 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 743 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:25 PM

If Molitor had just played Robbie Grossman more I'm sure the FO would kept him on. .

Molitor refused to play Ryan who hit .485 in ST and was red hot. Molly just refused to use him, until he cooled off. Then once cooled off, he didn't play as well, so Molly could justify cutting him loose. Robbie is a different story. Molly liked him. And he was so so for months while the Twins carried him. 

Glad Robbie caught on in Oakland, but comparing Robbie's treatment to Ryan's isn't fair

#33 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:55 PM

They both got into the game today.

Look, I said he was depth. Obviously another injury forced their hand (which is why you have depth). But had Kepler not gotten "injured" we may not have seen either one of him, given that we've carried Miller for more than a week without playing him until today. 

I imagine history is filled with players on September rosters who never played in a game. 

Edited by PseudoSABR, 08 September 2019 - 05:59 PM.

#34 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:02 PM

Carlos Torres:

1130758.jpg
  • Danchat likes this

#35 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,350 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:28 PM

You forget. He was red hot and Molly refused to use him until, after sitting with a hot streak and .485 BA coming out of ST, he cooled off while sitting the bench. Molitor ruined the guys chances.

I haven't forgotten what Lamarre has accomplished prior to and since, Spring Training 2018.
  • Platoon and jud6312 like this

#36 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,702 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:49 PM

I do not like the move. Kiriloff, Rooker, this move has no upside. I know some of you are ok. I am not. This is reminiscent of past dumpster moves. I am not interested in feel good stories at this point in the season.
  • jud6312 likes this

#37 gbg

gbg

• 84 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:32 PM

I do not like the move. Kiriloff, Rooker, this move has no upside. I know some of you are ok. I am not. This is reminiscent of past dumpster moves. I am not interested in feel good stories at this point in the season.

No matter how many times you say it, this isn't about a "feel good story". This is about the majority of our outfield being injured. Rooker apparently is also injured (and can only play LF), and apparently they didn't feel that Kiriloff was ready.

#38 brvama

brvama

• 590 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:33 PM

(FYI, I see Kepler is going to have an MRI on his shoulder that's been bothering him for a while now. It looks like the OF is falling like the leaves in October.)

Now for Lamarre, I look at him as temporary fill to get a better feel on the impact of all the injuries. Also, Kiriloff is in the playoffs right now and with him not being on the 40 man or need to be, that he will complete that first. It is possible that he could be added to the 40 man and brought up after the Wahoo's playoffs and eventually be on the Twins Oct roster. I think if they are hurting for quality OF's that's what I'd do.

#39 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,475 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:10 PM

Molitor refused to play Ryan who hit .485 in ST and was red hot. Molly just refused to use him, until he cooled off. Then once cooled off, he didn't play as well, so Molly could justify cutting him loose. Robbie is a different story. Molly liked him. And he was so so for months while the Twins carried him. 

Glad Robbie caught on in Oakland, but comparing Robbie's treatment to Ryan's isn't fair

Are you one of the in-laws or something? I don't understand such a strong campaign over Molitor seemingly wrong him.

#40 purplesoldier4u

purplesoldier4u

Elizabethton Twins

• 14 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:26 PM

Are you one of the in-laws or something? I don't understand such a strong campaign over Molitor seemingly wrong him.

After Molitor's 2018 post-spring training shenanigans, LaMarre has turned baseball on it's side - one heroic feat after another. Quite possibly, he could be that "missing piece" that propels this team to a title!

• Mike Sixel and jud6312 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ryan lamarre