Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Acquire OF Ryan LaMarre

ryan lamarre
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,647 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:24 AM

The Twins announced this morning that they have acquired outfielder Ryan LaMarre from the Atlanta Braves in exchange for cash.The Twins acquired OF Ryan LaMarre, and based on reports, he is at Target Field. He will take the 40-man roster spot of Michael Pineda and be activated by the Twins.

On Saturday, the Twins lost Pineda to a 60-Game Suspension for testing positive for a banned substance.

Eddie Rosario is nursing a hamstring injury. Max Kepler likely will need time off for his various minor injuries. Jake Cave has missed two games after his Friday night injury. Byron Buxton's shoulder injury. Marwin Gonzalez is out. Outfield depth will be nice to have.

While these guys can and have continued to play in their roles, each could benefit from added rest. If the Twins can find a way to get more rest for them, especially if they are able to clinch early, it would be great heading into the playoffs.

Of course, because he was added to the organization after September 1st, LaMarre is not eligible to be on the Twins playoff roster.

LaMarre spent the 2019 season with Gwinnett, the AAA affiliate of the Atlanta Braves. He hit .311/.380/.477 (.857) with 24 doubles, eight triples and nine home runs. He also stole 19 bases and plays well in the outfield, including centerfield.

He was set to be a free agent following the World Series. As you recall, LaMarre's in-laws live in the Twin Cities. Maybe he was around and it worked out well for him and for the Twins.

Interesting that the Twins went this direction rather than calling up a prospect like Brent Rooker who needs to be added to the 40-man roster after the season. Rooker missed the final month-and-a-half of the Triple-A season with a groin injury. He had just begun a rehab assignment with the GCL Twins when that season was cancelled. (Note - I was wrong... Rooker does not need to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason. My apologies. However, you do have to wonder, if he was healthy, if that might have been the move.)

Click here to view the article
  • glunn likes this

#2 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,466 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:58 AM

Yuck. I thought they were done making moves like this.
  • David HK likes this

#3 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,738 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:18 AM

I can see the rationale, but I thought we were past every see this guy again.

• jud6312 likes this

#4 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:18 AM

Just a depth move. Nothing to get in a tizzy about, or really have any reaction at all over.I doubt he plays. 

• SQUIRREL, Nine of twelve and mrtwinsfan like this

#5 darin617

darin617

• 1,387 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:26 AM

We have players that need rest badly and need someone to fill in. A good move. After this upcoming week the division will be done as well.

Too bad Rooker isn't healthy.

• SQUIRREL, Twins33, Kelly Vance and 5 others like this

#6 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,343 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:33 AM

Plays -Hopefully not

#7 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 214 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:51 AM

I actually hope he plays nearly every game from here on out. Give a little rest to everyone else and get them fresh for postseason. 

• Seth Stohs, brvama, Kelly Vance and 1 other like this

#8 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 2,903 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:58 AM

Mastroianni wasn't available?

• SQUIRREL, USAFChief, scottz and 9 others like this

#9 Hawkeye12

Hawkeye12

• 134 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:01 AM

He's got a walk off winning hit vs the Indians on his Twins' resume so maybe that'll come in handy.

• Reider, FlauerPauer and Nine of twelve like this

#10 TheMatt

TheMatt

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 60 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:02 AM

I really like this. Gave up nothing. Can play all 3 positions. Had a spot opened up anyway. Maybe he will be the guy from spring training last year. If not, at least good depth.
  • SQUIRREL, Kelly Vance, D.C Twins and 1 other like this

#11 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,357 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:10 AM

But... but.......

We already have the fabulous Ian Miller. Ain't that enough?

And what is Johnny Field up to these days, anyway?

• jud6312 likes this

#12 3balls2strikes

3balls2strikes

Elizabethton Twins

• 48 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:17 AM

.311/.380/.477 in AAA seems good to me. A nice feel good story of local guy getting an opportunity. He was a beast in 2018 spring training. The outfield needs some healthy bodies, nothing wrong with this move. 

• SQUIRREL, Seth Stohs, Kelly Vance and 3 others like this

"Touch 'em all Kirby Puckett! Touch 'em all Kirby Puckett!" - John Gordon

#13 Einstein1

Einstein1

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 75 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:23 AM

Ryan LaMarre > Lamonte Wade.So I'm fine with this. 

• Kelly Vance and D.C Twins like this

#14 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,084 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:39 AM

I don’t see the point of this with Miller already on the roster, but this spot won’t be playoff eligible so it means nothing.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#15 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,715 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:41 AM

Just a depth move. Nothing to get in a tizzy about, or really have any reaction at all over. I doubt he plays.

Of course he's here to play.
Depth for what? AAA season is over. MLB teams don't carry "depth" players that literally never play, like NBA teams do.
  • jud6312 and D.C Twins like this

#16 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:50 AM

Of course he's here to play.
Depth for what? AAA season is over. MLB teams don't carry "depth" players that literally never play, like NBA teams do.

They do in September, in case of injury. How many at bats does Ian Miller have, btw?

Edited by PseudoSABR, 08 September 2019 - 11:51 AM.

• Shaitan likes this

#17 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 677 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:59 AM

I like the move. Ryan is a decent hitter and was red hot out of ST last year. Molly refused to play him, even though he hit over .400 in ST, so he finally cooled off from non use. Molly lost my respect for his bone head Gardy style of playing favorites.

Ryan could come in and give Eddie, Keps and even Buck some time off. I like it. Wade is not the answer and Cave is banged up. Gonzo is not back yet. This move makes a lot of sense. 

Its a part time job, but Ryan fits as a sub right now.

• Dman and D.C Twins like this

#18 SteelDodo

SteelDodo

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:24 PM

Does Rooker have to be added to the 40 man this year? He was drafted in 2017, so I thought he had another year...
  • spycake likes this

#19 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,466 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:29 PM

.311/.380/.477 in AAA seems good to me. A nice feel good story of local guy getting an opportunity. He was a beast in 2018 spring training. The outfield needs some healthy bodies, nothing wrong with this move. 

He's not local. His in-laws are.

#20 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,466 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:32 PM

I don’t see the point of this with Miller already on the roster, but this spot won’t be playoff eligible so it means nothing.

Unless they leave him on the 40 over the winter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ryan lamarre