Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: An Early Look at The Top Free Agent Starting Pitchers

minnesota twins mlb free agents free agent starting pitchers twins free agency
  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,549 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:10 PM

You haven't convinced me. I recall you inferred the Pohlads should spent like drunken sailors because their money was all inherited.

I, of course, have never said they should spend like the top teams. Not once. But sure, put this out there.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#42 twins1095

twins1095

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 240 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:13 PM

Do we see the Twins trying to get to 4 starters and then playing the opener/long-man game with the 5th starter?  

I think that's one way to make this process a little bit easier.I think after next season (if not sooner) you start to be in a position for some of that starting depth Graterol/Balazovic/Colina/Duran/Ober/Alcala/etc to hopefully be ready to push for spots.  

I would rather do the opener/long-man thing with whomever and try to get through it that way than to overpay someone or sign someone mediocre long-term

Edited by twins1095, 10 September 2019 - 12:15 PM.

• gman likes this

#43 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,703 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:15 PM

Really?

Darvish has given the Cubs 157 innings of 108 ERA+ pitching, with a 1.13 WHIP and almost 11 K/9. 3.5 K/W. 2.69 ERA in the second half.

I highly doubt the Cubs are looking to trade Darvish, but if they are, I hope Falvine are all over it. He'd be the Twins best or second best starter, now and probably next year.

Spend some time on the Cubbie Board. It's pretty widespread the window is prematurely closing due to King Theo's lousy free agent signings. He would most likely take board favorite Nick Anderson even up, if the Rays would pick up the remainder of Darvish's contract.

Edited by howieramone2, 10 September 2019 - 12:17 PM.

#44 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,305 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:20 PM

Spend some time on the Cubbie Board. It's pretty widespread the window is prematurely closing due to King Theo's lousy free agent signings. He would most likely take board favorite Nick Anderson even up, if the Rays would pick up the remainder of Darvish's contract.

Well, you read all kinds of stuff on a fan board, that's for sure.

• ashbury and Tomj14 like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#45 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,703 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:24 PM

No truer words ever spoken. When I need a good laugh, I often go back to the Darvish meltdown thread.

#46 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,549 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:26 PM

No truer words ever spoken. When I need a good laugh, I often go back to the Darvish meltdown thread.

He'd be the best or 2nd best pitcher on this roster right now. And, he'd be here past this year. They'll have to sign at least 2 starters, if not three, this off season.

#47 spycake

spycake

• 16,783 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:30 PM

Opinions on Twins board = worthy of mockery

Opinions on Cubs board = an accurate representation of the Cubs front office

• ashbury, USAFChief, Mike Sixel and 3 others like this

#48 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,623 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:43 PM

Yeah, I heard that somewhere.

Source.

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#49 Florida Loggerman

Florida Loggerman

Elizabethton Twins

• 36 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:24 PM

I thought not pursuing and making a push for Marcus Stroman when he was availbe from the Jay's, was stupid on our part not to make that trade happen?he would have been a good fit here, wouldn't have broken the bank with a trade using a couple highly rated minor league players included in the deal. missing Stroman was nuts??? now were back to who???? do we not pay stupid money to sign with us?

#50 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,497 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:37 AM

Mod note... let's stop the bickering please. 

• ashbury and nicksaviking like this

#51 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 294 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:43 AM

Zac gallen should’ve been picked up at the deadline.....

#52 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:43 AM

Just my opinion, but I don’t think there is any chance the Twins go after a big name guy. It’s just not something they’ve ever done. I don’t care about regime change, I think it’s an ownership thing. So, I’m already crossing Cole, Strasburg, and Ryu off the list. Zero chance there.

Hamels, Bumgarner, or Wheeler fit right into the Twins wheelhouse, IMO. They can probably be had on cheaper short-term deals and have the name recognition to satisfy the PR side (plenty of fans will be excited about Hamels/MadBum). Just enough for them to point and say, “see, it’s the biggest free agent pitcher deal of all time....please believe that we’re all in (even though we’re not) and please buy some season tickets (before you realize that we’re not).”

Don’t get me wrong, they should absolutely be in on the biggest free agents out there. The payroll is almost nothing. The core is young and cheap. It’s one of those proverbial, “if they don’t do it now, they never will,” type of scenario. I’m leaning towards the “never will” coming to fruition and we’ll be left massively underwhelmed like we are every year.

Jack Morris was a big name guy.

#53 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,134 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:24 PM

No chance we sign any of these guys. Never done it. Never will.

Never is a big world.In 1991 the Twins signed 7 free agents.One of them (Morris) was the highest paid free agent of the class in 1991, and a second (Davis) among the top 5.

• DocBauer likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#54 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,134 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:36 PM

I can see them signing Wheeler from that list.Corey Klubel will likely be a free agent.He has an option for $17.5 M, which I don't see the Indians picking up.They will give him a QO instead for the same amount.The Twins should stay away from Pineda, Gibson and Odorizzi.They can sign someone like Jhoulys Chacin and get similar production for less $. They need 2 pitchers better than Berrios at this point.They can pick one as a free agent and trade for another.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#55 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,549 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:39 PM

Jack Morris was a big name guy.

26 years ago. By the one GM they've had that ever really went for it. Let's hope it happens again.

#56 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,471 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:16 PM

Never is a big world. In 1991 the Twins signed 7 free agents. One of them (Morris) was the highest paid free agent of the class in 1991, and a second (Davis) among the top 5.

Strawberry signed a free agent contract that off season at a base of 5 years and 20.5 million.

Jack had a guarantee of 3 years and 7 million. It was less than the guarantee from the Tigers. He had the incentives to earn 11 million over 3 but that was never going to happen. If he pitched poorly he would get the 7 million. If he pitched well he had an option out so he could go get the going rate for a top starter.

The week he signed with the Twins, Clemens signed for over 5 million across 4 years with the Red Sox. Morris got his 5 million when he predicted out and signed with the Jays,

The Twins did take advantage of the end of the collusion era to get Morris on a make good one year contract while minimizing their risk. I don’t think the financial burden in that signing compares in any way to the burden of signing the top free agent this winter.
  • DocBauer likes this

#57 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,678 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:51 PM

Strawberry signed a free agent contract that off season at a base of 5 years and 20.5 million.
Jack had a guarantee of 3 years and 7 million. It was less than the guarantee from the Tigers. He had the incentives to earn 11 million over 3 but that was never going to happen. If he pitched poorly he would get the 7 million. If he pitched well he had an option out so he could go get the going rate for a top starter.
The week he signed with the Twins, Clemens signed for over 5 million across 4 years with the Red Sox. Morris got his 5 million when he predicted out and signed with the Jays,
The Twins did take advantage of the end of the collusion era to get Morris on a make good one year contract while minimizing their risk. I don’t think the financial burden in that signing compares in any way to the burden of signing the top free agent this winter.

No question the market has changed, and continues to change. Morris signed a fair deal at the time then took advantage of his out and had great success with Toronto. I can't begrudge him that.

In fact, not long before the contacts you mentioned, the Twins actually signed Puckett to the richest contact in history, IIRC, only to be topped by Henderson shortly thereafter.

Funny when you reflect on those "high dollar" moves made then vs the past 25yrs or so. Historically, put in to proper context, ownership hasn't always been as penny-pinching as some like to claim. Believed or not, Terry Ryan used to openly state the FO didn't inhibit him from making moves if they made sense. But he didn't make many. He brought a lot of talent, and a lot of winning teams in his tenure, but he didn't make a lot of defining moves. (And let me state I have tremendous respect for all Ryan accomplished and all be did). The FA market, when Ryan was in charge, still seemed steep in "mega contracts" in dollars and years, as well as including the DOME DAYS that may have influenced a lack of moves.

Not sure I have answers, but reflection is interesting. The current FO, under the same ownership, has been quite different, albeit in Target Field, and with a change in analytics and a huge market change as a result. I think it really comes down to what makes sense. Sense in short term and long term. We have still seen HUGE contracts, but only for "blue chip" players.

The current FO has delved in the FA market with poor success and positive success. I have little doubt they realize they need to add a SP somewhere/somehow. I also have little doubt they will look at all of these options, examine them thoroughly, and then decide if a 30yr old option can be counted on for sustained success for 2-3yrs. If they decide not, they will go the trade route from milb surpluses and bring someone in, with a couple years of control, that they think/believe is ready to contribute and perhaps "arrive" with a few tweaks.

I also believe a couple of our current staff will be back. I just don't know for sure who at this point. Just too far out and too much speculation at this point.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, mlb free agents, free agent starting pitchers, twins free agency