Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (9/7): Odorizzi, Garver Power the Twins to Victory

mitch garver jake odorizzi willians astudillo taylor rogers jonathan schoop
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,766 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:56 AM

Eddie Rosario's plate appearance with the bases loaded kills me. He was pitched 6 "Balls" and managed to make an out after Civale practically walked the bases loaded. If he would have walked in a run we would have been into their bullpen right then. Lucky for us Mitch Garver bailed us out tonight. Eddie's approach and plate discipline I think sometimes prevents him from being a great hitter instead of the good hitter that he is.

This was the kind of thing discussed in the thread about Rosario posted last week.

As much as I have liked Eddie (I would take him over Buxton any day), he has things to work on and he provided. This is the kind of at bat that should give him very low marks in plate discipline. If the coaches are worth their salt they must address this kind of thing.

#22 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,625 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

I can't hate on Rosario too much for his AB; he took what should have been ball 4, but Diaz had a really inconsistent strike zone and I think everyone knew it. Makes it hard to ask a hitter to keep taking pitches, and you still want guys to go up to the plate looking for a pitch to drive.

According to Umpire Auditor, Laz Diaz is literally the worst umpire in the major leagues, the only umpire getting less that 89% of the called balls and strikes correct:

https://www.bloomber...es/ranking/2019
  • Bamboo Bat and VivaBomboRivera! like this

#23 Alex Schieferdecker

Alex Schieferdecker

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 63 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:58 AM

Is Dyson available by now? Twins would love to be able to use him and Harper and as few other people as possible today.

#24 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,288 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:08 AM

"He was pitched 6 "Balls..."

I agree Eddie swings at too many pitches off the plate, but to be fair the home plate umpire didn't seem to much care where the pitches were thrown. His strike zone could be charitably described as erratic.

the umpire had nothing to do with Rosario's bases loaded AB. Rosario was up 2-0, then (as he is want to do) took a wild hack at what would have been ball 3, down and in. Ball 3 ensued, then Rosario popped out weakly to left on a pitch high and away.

I sometimes feel like the better count Rosario finds himself in, the MORE likely he is to swing at the next pitch, regardless location.

I think hitters should absolutely look to do damage on 2-0, 3-1 counts, but only on pitches that can be damaged.

Rosario just decides to swing, seemingly before thebputch is thrown.
  • ashbury, PseudoSABR, Bamboo Bat and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#25 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,464 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:34 AM

When that game ended, I said "that's the nail in the coffin."Now two more good whacks with the hammer and the nail will be set and the coffin will be permanently closed.With today's game counting as two in the magic number game, those two whacks could come today.  

#26 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 109 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:28 PM

According to Umpire Auditor, Laz Diaz is literally the worst umpire in the major leagues, the only umpire getting less that 89% of the called balls and strikes correct:

https://www.bloomber...es/ranking/2019

Wow, way below the infamous Angel Hernandez.

#27 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,625 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:30 PM

Wow, way below the infamous Angel Hernandez.

And below Jerry West, too. (And everyone, considering he is....well....last.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitch garver, jake odorizzi, willians astudillo, taylor rogers, jonathan schoop