Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Michael Pineda Suspended 60 Games For Banned Substance

michael pineda
  • Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#41 zwiefz

zwiefz

• 43 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:35 PM

With or without Pineda I couldn't see the Twins beating the Astros pitching staff.

This could end being blessing in disguise. He feels he owes team and gives them a bit of a discount on a new contract.

If they were willing to bring back Big Erv after his, they should bring back Big Mike after his 😁
  • Dantes929, hybridbear and Only Here in Negative like this

#42 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,274 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:36 PM

So now they probably won't re sign two of the free agents. And shouldn't sign Perez. Ouch.

This is gonna hurt in the post season. And next year.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#43 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,738 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:38 PM

I was shocked for half a second then I thought of him twice using a substance on his neck and twice getting kicked out of games. Good riddance and I hope there is something in his contract that will relieve the Twins of any financial hardship on this sh*t!

Onward with the players we have. The postseason was always a bit of pipe dream because of our suspect pitching and this doesn't change that, it only alters it somewhat.

• birdwatcher, Jerr and mrtwinsfan like this

#44 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,738 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:43 PM

What history?

He cheated before, and very badly at that.

https://timedotcom.f...43517767316.jpg

#45 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,084 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:45 PM

With or without Pineda I couldn't see the Twins beating the Astros pitching staff.

This could end being blessing in disguise. He feels he owes team and gives them a bit of a discount on a new contract.

If they were willing to bring back Big Erv after his, they should bring back Big Mike after his

Ervin had about 3 more seasons under contract that were 100% guaranteed, so they had no option but to bring back Ervin unless they were interested in burning all that money.

But yeah, this'll definitely drive the price down on him. A repeat suspension would be for a full season, so that will turn off his suitors.

• Nine of twelve likes this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#46 weneedjackmorris

weneedjackmorris

Elizabethton Twins

• 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:50 PM

This is a very unfortunate action on the part of Mr. Pineda.What makes it worse is that he'll be gone at the end of the season, and will likely never put on a Twins uniform ever again.Good.What a lousy parting gift from a ball player who just dropped off my Christmas card list for 2019!Merry frigg'n Xmas Mike.

#47 etwink

etwink

Elizabethton Twins

• 9 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:59 PM

I hate that he tried to suggest that he wasn’t responsible, by saying “a close acquaintance” gave it to him (i.e. he didn’t get the pills himself) rather than just leave it with a comment taking responsibility. Does anyone out there really take random pills that a friend gives you (other than teens in night-clubs)?? It boggles the mind that these guys want us to believe that they are utter fools when it comes to their private lives. Big Mike isn’t willing to man-up to his responsibility...but he’s forced his teammates into a position where they have to, if they want to have a chance this year. Gibby is going to have to pitch through illness, Berrios is going to have to drop the illusion that everything is ok and figure out how to miss bats again, Perez is going to have to channel the 1st half of the season, Odo is going to have to find a way to get past the 5th inning and someone is going to have to take the ball every fifth day. It’s hard work being an adult!
  • Jerr, ScrapTheNickname, hybridbear and 2 others like this
🇨🇮

#48 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 954 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:02 PM

Feels like Eddie's throw to nail Devers is probably the 2019 pinnacle now. As much as I'd like to stay positive like the poster above mentioning opportunity presenting itself, this is just a big black cloud rolling in. Goddamnit.

#49 Kendel

Kendel

• 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:06 PM

If now isn’t the time to take chances, when is? The Twins need to gamble on catching lightning in a bottle. I think they can add a player to the roster to replace Pineda. IT’S BALAZOLIC TIME!!! What the hell, fresh rookies have tore up the post season before. Why not us? Why not now?
  • rkevin likes this

#50 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 747 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:13 PM

I think these lyrics by the great Metallica as somewhat appropriate here, "Good day. How do?
And I send a smile to you
Don't waste, waste your breath
And I won't waste my hate on you
Waste my hate on you"
Big Mike messed up.
  • MMMordabito likes this

#51 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 954 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:16 PM

I don't think Balazovic or Ober or anyone who wasn't on the team at the beginning of the month is eligible for the post season. They'll have to stay in their cells.

#52 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,359 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:18 PM

Well it does free a roster spot. Could the Twins add Griffinb Jax, or if they need an outfielder Alex Kiriloff?

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#53 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 4,906 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:32 PM

I don't think Balazovic or Ober or anyone who wasn't on the team at the beginning of the month is eligible for the post season. They'll have to stay in their cells.

http://m.mlb.com/glo...les-eligibility
They are still a possibility via petition

#54 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,173 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

Next man up...I like that motto. What else can the Twins do?

#55 Five minute major

Five minute major

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:42 PM

Not unexpected when you factor that a Minnesota sports team was actually generating some excitement. No fan base is as cursed as we are.  

#56 launchingthrees

launchingthrees

• 205 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:42 PM

We may see a bullpen game in the playoffs and I'm excited for it.

• Dantes929 likes this

#57 scottz

scottz

• 669 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:44 PM

Disappointing, but another reminder to myself to not get too hung up on the fates of “my” pro sports teams. Hopefully they can step up and finish the season strong, but if they don’t, or don’t do anything in the playoffs, my life will be unaffected.
  • ScrapTheNickname and Nine of twelve like this

#58 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,358 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:47 PM

http://m.mlb.com/glo...les-eligibility
They are still a possibility via petition

Pineda isn’t injured. I’d say the chances of a petition to replace him succeeding are nil.

#59 AZTwin

AZTwin

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 933 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:50 PM

Pineda isn’t injured. I’d say the chances of a petition to replace him succeeding are nil.

They have 2 players injured that can be used for the exception
  • Sconnie likes this

#60 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,478 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:51 PM

He should have asked Polanco if it was a good idea....

I would still offer Pineda a contract for next season. Pro-rated to deduct the games missed, of course. 

• nokomismod likes this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda