Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Michael Pineda Suspended 60 Games For Banned Substance

michael pineda
  • Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#21 Kevin

Kevin

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:05 PM

The arbitrator reduced the standard suspension, which suggests there was no evidence of other substances being masked.

Well, maybe.

But if other things were masked, they would not show up in testing.

Pineda's history of use of pine tar while pitching suggests he is willing to loosely interpret the rules.

And he is returning from TJ surgery, and "other substances" can speed healing.

#22 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:09 PM

The arbitrator reduced the standard suspension, which suggests there was no evidence of other substances being masked.

Pineda has been suspended for breaking the rules previously. The Twins knew the risks with Pineda, and the arbitrator reducing the suspension from 80 to 60 games does little to mitigate this disastrous outcome for the Twins post-season chances.

• birdwatcher likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#23 twinbythebay

twinbythebay

Elizabethton Twins

• 17 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:11 PM

Well, that sucks. But everyone needs to take a deep breath, they're still 5.5 games up with 20 games left. This team has shown this season that they're capable of battling through adversity. They've got more mental toughness than the negative comment brigade here thinks they do.
  • SQUIRREL, Han Joelo, brvama and 10 others like this

#24 3balls2strikes

3balls2strikes

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 55 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:13 PM

Next man up! Smeltzer, Littell, Thorpe, somebody. Opportunity has presented itself, take it and run with it!

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, brvama and 9 others like this

"Touch 'em all Kirby Puckett! Touch 'em all Kirby Puckett!" - John Gordon

#25 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,767 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:15 PM

Pineda has been suspended for breaking the rules previously. The Twins knew the risks with Pineda, and the arbitrator reducing the suspension from 80 to 60 games does little to mitigate this disastrous outcome for the Twins post-season chances.

Pineda was suspended for 10 games for pine tar on his neck. Using that as innuendo for what is being treated as a first-offense of the drug policy, itself reduced by an arbitrator based on exculpatory evidence, is disingenuous. And my comment did not address the post-season, which obviously is affected the same with or without the reduction. Which leads me to...

Moderator's Note: It should be obvious, this thread will be monitored for disrespectful posting and for trolling, according to the usual site policy.

• SQUIRREL, Parker Hageman, glunn and 8 others like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#26 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,425 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:16 PM

Well, makes NOT pursuing a starter during the trade deadline really stand out as a season moment now. So, the Twins have Stewart, Thorpe, Smeltzer who should be given every opportunity to step up and show they belong on the team next year! Let's hope the Twins can still win the division. Sunday's game will be an extra special turning poin of where the rest of the season will go!

• birdwatcher, Riverbrian, jokin and 3 others like this
Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#27 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 471 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:24 PM

%#%$##%%!

• SQUIRREL, SwainZag, Sconnie and 1 other like this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#28 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,862 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:28 PM

%#%$##%%!

Concur.

Big time.

Unfortunately.
  • DocBauer likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#29 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

Well, makes NOT pursuing a starter during the trade deadline really stand out as a season moment now. So, the Twins have Stewart, Thorpe, Smeltzer who should be given every opportunity to step up and show they belong on the team next year! Let's hope the Twins can still win the division. Sunday's game will be an extra special turning poin of where the rest of the season will go!

Makes one wonder when the Twins were notified of a failed test. The appeals process is typically not fast.
  • birdwatcher, notoriousgod71 and adorduan like this

#30 bcs4

bcs4

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 143 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:38 PM

Realistically, this should only be 2 losses at the most between now and the end of the year depending on how the Twins take it.Hopefully this will motivate the other pitchers and the rest of the team. 

This will matter the most if they make the playoffs because he's been the Twins best pitcher in the second half.

• birdwatcher, beckmt, Kelly Vance and 4 others like this

#31 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 5,385 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:40 PM

That is really disappointing, to say the least.

#32 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• 405 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:40 PM

Diuretics are absolutely used to dilute urine and mask illegal substances. Hydrochlorothiazide is a prescribed medication and not some common dietary supplement that just pops up in lots of over the counter supplement products and is taken "accidentally." (testosterone and its analogues can randomly be found in over the counter dietary supplements)

Hydrochlorothiazide is used to treat high blood pressure and in people that don't have high blood pressure, could cause dizziness and dehydration (especially in August).

One would only take that chance to obtain some other potential substantial gain.

Armed with that information, I'll leave it to everyone to make their own conclusion. To me it is pretty clear what happened.

• birdwatcher, jokin, Heezy1323 and 2 others like this

#33 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,492 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:51 PM

A few unconnected thoughts...

Thorpe and Smeltzer have a chance to step up.

If Cave and/or Cruz are injured do they need the roster spot for Kirilloff? He didn’t hit for power returning from injury but that seems behind him now.

This has to hurt Pineda’s hopes for a good contract in free agency. Should the Twins be interested in a 1 year deal for his shortened season?
  • brvama, beckmt, jokin and 2 others like this

#34 KidBro

KidBro

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 96 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:55 PM

Has the trade deadline passed? 

• USAFChief, Dantes929, PseudoSABR and 1 other like this

#35 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,161 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:10 PM

This has to hurt Pineda’s hopes for a good contract in free agency. Should the Twins be interested in a 1 year deal for his shortened season?

With his injury history I'd already be hesitant to sign him to more than a 1-year deal in any situation. Add this and...I won't rule it out, but I think this suspension burns some bridges.

• Jerr and jbissell like this

#36 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,853 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:38 PM

Wow.

And what George Carlin said you cant say on TV.

Ahh.Class Clown.I remember having that in vinyl back in the day.

He amended the list to include dozens of words and phrases.Put me down for that.

#37 twinssporto

twinssporto

Don't try pitching around me!

• 2,118 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:53 PM

This news hurts but it's not going to put this team into a death spiral. The Twins do have other pitching options and those guys either step up or they don't.  If I were one of the new pitchers that got called up I would look at this as my golden opportunity to be a hero and help win a World Series.  

It will be fun to see if anyone can step up and make something happen.  

• Dantes929, Sconnie, Shaitan and 1 other like this
On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#38 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:57 PM

After thinking about it, perhaps Falvine did know about the failed test before the deadline and decided that without him it wasn’t worth pushing “all in”.

That seems unlikely though, because that would also have required the foresight that Berrios was going to bomb out in August and that Gibson would succumb to his gastro-intestinal issues.

#39 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,738 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:13 PM

Free Balazovic!!!!

(following my recent post of Free Kirilloff)

• Sconnie, SF Twins Fan and Jeff_M like this
Is it 2020 yet?

#40 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:16 PM

Smelt, Thorpedo, Dobs. Grats isn't polished enough. Best bet might be to start Smeltzer, then bring Thorpe in around inning 4, to see if he can go the next three. Tight leash on both guys if they walk anybody. 

• Jeff_M likes this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda