Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Michael Pineda Suspended 60 Games For Banned Substance

michael pineda
  • Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#241 Only Here in Negative

Only Here in Negative

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 110 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:51 PM

That timeline doesn't make it any less suspicious. Whether he's taking the drug early season, mid season, or at the end, they all have benefits. 

Neither if more likely than the other because we've heard nothing about why the suspension was reduced. All the protocol in the world can't remove human error, and that assuming it was even human error and not an issue with the protocol itself. If he's masking, it'd be in his best interest not to reveal that the suspension was reduced due to a technical issue. It also wouldn't jive with the explanation he gave for the drug use, which lets be honest isn't the most sound or convincing story.  

This was in response to people upset that he screwed the Twins when they were on the cusp of the playoffs. That just isn't true based on timeline. 

#242 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,837 posts

Posted Today, 01:10 PM

This was in response to people upset that he screwed the Twins when they were on the cusp of the playoffs. That just isn't true based on timeline. 

They might not have a division lead without him pitching through July and August. He definitely screwed the team, but not in that way. 

#243 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,386 posts

Posted Today, 01:23 PM

That doesn’t make it better. If he didn’t tell Falvine that he tested positive when they had a chance to do something about it (before July 31) that suggests to me that he cared more about himself than his team.
  • Only Here in Negative likes this

#244 Only Here in Negative

Only Here in Negative

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 110 posts

Posted Today, 03:57 PM

That doesn’t make it better. If he didn’t tell Falvine that he tested positive when they had a chance to do something about it (before July 31) that suggests to me that he cared more about himself than his team.

That's fair. I wonder what the agreement between league and player says about that. It would seem to be in the best interest of teams to be included but that makes leaks probable. Also hard to see how the team wouldn't know about the investigation - the league would talk to the trainers right? Interesting angle though.

#245 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,386 posts

Posted Today, 05:12 PM

That's fair. I wonder what the agreement between league and player says about that. It would seem to be in the best interest of teams to be included but that makes leaks probable. Also hard to see how the team wouldn't know about the investigation - the league would talk to the trainers right? Interesting angle though.

I would presume the language says that teams don’t need to be notified until MLB does so. However, I doubt there is a prohibition of a player doing so. As for leaks, that is dealt with easily enough by imposing a hefty fine if word leaks out. By hefty I’m talking 7 figures. Presumably, the player would have no reason to leak it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda