Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (9/6): Offense Dominated as Twins Fall in Extras

michael pineda zack littell max kepler jorge polanco brusdar graterol
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,284 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:11 AM

Big Mike DID "pitch as deep as he could." He was over 100 pitches (for the first time this year I believe) ...

Still and all, this one's on the offense mostly.

109 pitches against Oakland in July, upon checking, but yeah, good memory, I would have guessed more than that.

Concur on the blame. It's fun to debate how to eke out a close win, because sometimes you'll have those situations and want to win your share, but through 9 innings the pitching and defense did their job and the offense mostly did not, and we should not have been faced with Graterol or whoever in a high leverage 11th inning situation if the offense had.

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#22 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,446 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:23 AM

Absolutely they should put Graterol in high leverage. If not don’t put him on the 40.

They also should have let him battle the first batter instead of putting him on first after 2-0.

Get him back out there in high leverage this week.
  • Dantes929 and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#23 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,426 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:28 AM

Lot of finger pointing going around.Hard to win games when you score 2 runs through 11 innings.  

• SQUIRREL, ashbury and Tom Froemming like this

#24 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,047 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:36 AM

When Cruz hurt his wrist, he should have been taken out of the game to treat it immediately. Put Garver in at DH for the rest of the game. In fact, put Garver in at DH until Cruz is healthy. We need both of those guys healthy, and I feel like we're walking a tight rope with Garver's potential concussions behind the plate. And Cruz was worthless in that AB, and the subsequent ABs. So we hurt ourselves during the game by leaving him in. And it's more important to get and keep Cruz healthy than it was for him to have those 2 more ABs during that game.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#25 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 681 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:40 AM

Busdar threw what should have been an easy ground out to 2b.I don't get playing the shift against a hitter whose BA is a little above the Mendoza line. 

This one is on the rookie manager.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#26 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,259 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM

The guy that beat us was Lindor with his offense and defense and it wasn't the first time and I am guessing it won''t be the last.

Thanks. People fail to appreciate this. That other teams have good players too.
  • SQUIRREL, SwainZag, mickeymental and 1 other like this

#27 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 681 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:09 AM

I know we have had our injuries too, but Tito has the Indians playing so hard, despite a nearly decimated pitching staff and Lindor starting the season hurt. 

Sleep on Tito at your peril. They are right behind us. The gap is one bad week away from closing.

#28 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,426 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:29 AM

I know we have had our injuries too, but Tito has the Indians playing so hard, despite a nearly decimated pitching staff and Lindor starting the season hurt. 

Sleep on Tito at your peril. They are right behind us. The gap is one bad week away from closing.

I don't think anyone is sleeping on Tito, but the Twins have a 5.5 game lead with 21 games to play.Last night was only one game.

• SQUIRREL, Kelly Vance, Danchat and 1 other like this

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,977 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:30 AM

We didn’t play well defensively in the fateful inning.

I’m not blaming anyone but if that double play ball gets turned instead of Arraez bailing out Cron to get a single out. The commentary afterwards is different. I’m not going to single out Cron either. It’s baseball these things happen.

The pitching did their job. Baldelli did his job.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#30 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,284 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:55 AM

I’m not blaming anyone but if that double play ball gets turned instead of Arraez bailing out Cron to get a single out. The commentary afterwards is different.

Not too much different. Since we didn't score in the bottom of the inning, it suggests all that the DP would have done is let us live to see another inning.

The repeated inability to push across just one more run in any of the previous FIVE innings is what did us in.

• SQUIRREL likes this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#31 Linus

Linus

• 2,247 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:12 PM

Cron has missed a couple of plays in the last few days that have cost us. More sloppy baseball by the Twins and it’s been like this for two months. I guess it is not changing

#32 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,082 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:39 PM

Sano has 6 hits, 7 BB, and 18 SO's in the last ten games. When he hits something, he hits it. I didn't see PA listed but at approx. 4 per game he is approaching a SO clip of 50% again. Takes lots of mashing to cover that number. Was a fun game for about 7 innings, but the last few innings featured the worst of the Twins. Poor baserunning, another 1B blunder, another futile dive at a hopeless fly ball, non blocked wild pitches, and a less than excellent play on Lindors ball. While there wasn't a good look from replay on the single to that scored a couple, I was surprised Rosario did not take a shot at the plate?
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#33 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,386 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:40 PM

That loss irks me. The Indians are down and out. Instead of doing everything you can to out them away, you decide the 10th inning with 2 outs and runners on is the time to experiment with the 2nd major inning for a rookie 20 year old.

I get that you have to see what you have in Graterol, but in that game? You should have 4-5 guys sitting down there that could come in and get a bum like Perez without issue.

Another on the long-line of questionable decision making by Baldelli. All he’s doing is giving the Indians life.

That Graterol couldn’t get a “bum like Perez” is kinda on him isn’t it? If he can’t get him, how is he going to pitch in the playoffs?

#34 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,386 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:41 PM

Busdar threw what should have been an easy ground out to 2b. I don't get playing the shift against a hitter whose BA is a little above the Mendoza line.

This one is on the rookie manager.

Maybe his BA is a little over the Mendoza line because of shifts.
  • Kelly Vance likes this

#35 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 681 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:54 PM

Maybe his BA is a little over the Mendoza line because of shifts.

well, maybe. But in this case the shift bit us big time

#36 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 584 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:28 PM

Here's the Twins Pitch, which includes all 10 of Pineda's Ks in a 24-second burst.

In memoriam: Pineda once pitched for the Twins...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda, zack littell, max kepler, jorge polanco, brusdar graterol