Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Magic Number Thread

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• 291 posts

Posted Today, 07:28 AM

Greg_Gagne_1987.jpg

• USAFChief, Longdistancetwins and David HK like this

SblamiVvl-SFSfi_8yN5GGvjJk0=.gif

#102 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,594 posts

Posted Today, 07:36 AM

The key to success for the Twins in 1987 and 1988 was less Straker...

I know you said it as a pun but I gotta defend Straker.In 87 he had the 4th best ERA on the team, starter or reliever. The only ones ahead of him were Viola, Blyleven and Berenguer. His 4.37 ERA (3.92 in 88) made him the 3rd best starter by a really big margin. The next best starter had an ERA of 5.94 and it got really bad(as if 5.94 wasn't bad enough) for the 5th best starter and beyond. He did throw a 6 inning shutout in game 3 of the World Series.I know we all think of it as Viola and Blyleven but without Straker the rotation would have been the equivalent of throwing Viola, Blyleven and the 2019 version ofKohl Stewart, Fernando Romero and Ehire Adrianza.

• woolywoolhouse, David HK and bighat like this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#103 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,287 posts

Posted Today, 08:15 AM

I know you said it as a pun but I gotta defend Straker.In 87 he had the 4th best ERA on the team, starter or reliever. The only ones ahead of him were Viola, Blyleven and Berenguer. His 4.37 ERA (3.92 in 88) made him the 3rd best starter by a really big margin. The next best starter had an ERA of 5.94 and it got really bad(as if 5.94 wasn't bad enough) for the 5th best starter and beyond. He did throw a 6 inning shutout in game 3 of the World Series.I know we all think of it as Viola and Blyleven but without Straker the rotation would have been the equivalent of throwing Viola, Blyleven and the 2019 version ofKohl Stewart, Fernando Romero and Ehire Adrianza.

Maybe this year's mantra should be "Jose and Jake, and wish we had Strake." 

[Actually, I'm just playing with the phrase because it sounded good. I'm actually fine with Perez and Gibson (if healthy), assuming that in playoffs, the leash is going to be pretty short. Looking at last night's game, for example, if it was Game 3 with a rested bullpen, I suspect Perez would have been pulled after the two singles leading off the 5th.]

• ashbury, Dantes929 and bighat like this

#104 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,320 posts

Posted Today, 08:29 AM

In Junior Ortiz we believe!

#105 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,594 posts

Posted Today, 09:44 AM

Maybe this year's mantra should be "Jose and Jake, and wish we had Strake." 

[Actually, I'm just playing with the phrase because it sounded good. I'm actually fine with Perez and Gibson (if healthy), assuming that in playoffs, the leash is going to be pretty short. Looking at last night's game, for example, if it was Game 3 with a rested bullpen, I suspect Perez would have been pulled after the two singles leading off the 5th.]

I don;t have both Perez and Gibson on my playoff roster and if Dyson were healthy I probably wouldn't have either. Gibson has a 2nd half ERA of 5.82 and that is with a good July so his August and September have been extremely bad.His only quality start was on August 3rd against the Royals. Otherwise his results against mostly losing teams are littered with 4 or 5 innings with 4 or 5 runs scored. HIs ERA in the last two months is well above 7. Perez hasn't been a whole lot better. He hasn't had a month of below 5 ERA since May and his 2nd half ERA is 5.92.. If Dyson were healthy I would not have either on my playoff roster and play bullpen games in games 2 and 4 which would be plenty doablewith days off. Even without Dyson, statistically its not even close.Do you want Gibson or Perez throwing 4 or 5 innings at a 6 ERA or would you rather have two relievers throw 2 innings each with their 3.5 ERAs?For once in forever I have more confidence in all 10 of our top relievers than I do in our #3 or 4 starter.Only makes sense to use that to our advantage. I know most here, including me don't really believe the true quality of all 10 relievers is below 4 ERA but am pretty sure we all view Gibson and Perez as 6 ERA guys right now.

• bighat likes this

#106 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,736 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted Today, 09:58 AM

Buxton-Brian-2013-Cedar-Rapids.jpg

• SQUIRREL and ashbury like this

#107 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,594 posts

Posted Today, 10:31 AM

#108 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,378 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted Today, 06:13 PM

Apologies in advance, but this is truly a magic number.

Mauer 7