Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Series Preview: Gold on the Ceiling

minnesota twins cleveland indians series preview mike clevinger franmil reyes
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,658 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:38 PM

Cleveland is going to be pretty motivated; they don’t even hold a wildcard spot right now.
  • ashbury, Oldgoat_MN and Danchat like this
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#22 denarded

denarded

• 103 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:50 PM

Win tonight and a lot of pressure will be relieved. What's the saying "Momentum is the next day's starter"?

• ashbury likes this
Wikipedia is for suckers

#23 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,333 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:12 PM

Liked for proper use of "penultimate"

I like antepenultimate.

Or even better, preantepenultimate.

But my favorite is propreantepenultimate. As in, this is the propreantepenultimate series of the regular season.
  • ashbury likes this

#24 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,636 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:15 PM

It looked like to me, as to how the ball was clearly on the way down and hit the wall at about halfway up..... that in any other ballpark that would have been a routine fly ball ..... maybe to the warning track, but probably not even that deep, the outfield would have been playing deep to normal, a routine catch right to the left fielder and three outs and the end of the game right there. We still would have been robbed of the fantastic play and throw and put out at home with the bounce off the shallow left field green monster, though.

Not to mention the Red Sox only other run was on a ball that is a routine foul ball in any other stadium.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#25 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• 943 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:15 PM

I think the record against >.500 teams is a stat that is not calculated correctly. It does not represent the records at game time. A team could enter a 4 game series against a team 3 games above .500, sweep them, and not get recognized as beating a team with a record above .500. The stat changes as the opposing team's record changes. It would be more representative of what actually happened if it is based on the results of the records when the game was played.

The reason the way they do it now is the right way is by the end of the season all teams have played a full season and you have the most complete estimation of a team's worth available. Yes there are fluctuations in each teams level of play during the season but there are too many variables dictating that level of play that would obscure an accurate assessment of their play. Huh?

#26 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,296 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:22 PM

I like antepenultimate. Or even better, preantepenultimate. But my favorite is propreantepenultimate. As in, this is the propreantepenultimate series of the regular season.

Seems like imminent peril of getting ahead our ourselves here.

• Danchat, Sconnie, IndianaTwin and 1 other like this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#27 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• 943 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:26 PM

Cleveland is going to be pretty motivated; they don’t even hold a wildcard spot right now.

Oh I'm so scared.

I like antepenultimate.

Or even better, preantepenultimate.

But my favorite is propreantepenultimate. As in, this is the propreantepenultimate series of the regular season.

Geez I didn't know they talked like that down in Indianer.
  • ashbury likes this

#28 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,333 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:41 PM

Oh I'm so scared.
Geez I didn't know they talked like that down in Indianer.

I'm not a native, so I try not to use that kind of language here. I’m afraid they’ll try to wash my mouth out with soap.
  • ashbury and Original Whizzinator like this

#29 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 5,047 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:53 PM

Seems like imminent peril of getting ahead our ourselves here.

17 games ahead for another 15 minutes, when it becomes 16

Edit: man I am too reliant on excel
  • ashbury likes this

#30 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,398 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:24 PM

The game with the Indians worst starter and the Twins best was supposed to be the easy one, right?

#31 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,949 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:14 AM

It looked like to me, as to how the ball was clearly on the way down and hit the wall at about halfway up..... that in any other ballpark that would have been a routine fly ball ..... maybe to the warning track, but probably not even that deep, the outfield would have been playing deep to normal, a routine catch right to the left fielder and three outs and the end of the game right there. We still would have been robbed of the fantastic play and throw and put out at home with the bounce off the shallow left field green monster, though.

Exactly.

Not enough people are aware of how unusual Fenway is relative to any other ballpark.

LF, RF and CF configurations are all downright strange, and pose a challenge of sensory adjustment to visiting OFers. For a guy who only plays 3 games here/year, it's amazing how perfectly Rosario played both the carom and made the perfect throw home with his back to the infield.

• h2oface likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#32 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,496 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:29 AM

The reason the way they do it now is the right way is by the end of the season all teams have played a full season and you have the most complete estimation of a team's worth available. Yes there are fluctuations in each teams level of play during the season but there are too many variables dictating that level of play that would obscure an accurate assessment of their play. Huh?

I don't agree. A team that is 20-10 to start the year, and that is when they are scheduled.... I don't care who they played at that point. They are a >.500 team, even if by the end of the year they are under .500. At one point this year, the Twins had a record well over .500 against teams above .500. Many of these teams are now not. So what. That isn't the team we beat. Just as the Twins June and July was not the same team. There could have been injuries, etc. I just don't agree what you are supporting is the "right way", or representative of what happened, and the stat is misleading the way it is.

Edited by h2oface, 07 September 2019 - 07:31 AM.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, cleveland indians, series preview, mike clevinger, franmil reyes