Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: A Stab at the Twins Postseason Roster

minnesota twins miguel sano byron buxton nelson cruz brusdar graterol
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,516 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:30 AM

I think we will see the playoff roster thoughts these two weeks. If Miller isn’t useful these 12 games from Boston to the second Cleveland series, how will he be useful in the playoffs?

Put him in to pinch run now and a deep bench is there to replace him. In the playoffs they are probably have to keep his bat in the line up.

So far they haven’t really needed him in spite of some close games.
  • spycake likes this

#22 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• 3,271 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:01 PM

I'll go out on a limb and predict Michael Pineda won't be on it!

#23 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:17 PM

With Adrianza, Buxton, Dyson and Pineda all for sure out, the potential playoff roster is taking shape. With Pineda out and Gibson and Perez scuffling, I think 12 pitchers is pretty likely.

C Garver
C Castro
1B Cron
2B Schoop
3B Sano
SS Polanco
IF Arraez
OF Kepler
OF Rosario
OF Gonzalez

I think those are the easy ones. The final two spots are between Cave, Miller, Torreyes and Astudillo. I think the Twins will keep Torreyes around in case of injury in the infield, but not on the roster. If Polanco gets hurt, Arraez will have to slide in for the rest of the game. I would expect the “regular” OF to be Gonzalez, Kepler and Rosario. As such, I think Miller’s superior glove puts him on the roster over Cave and Astudillo’s flexibility and contact ability make him the 13th hitter.

Pitchers

Bullpen is a little easier, so let’s start there.

Barting injury (knock on wood), Rogers, Romo, Duffey, May and Littell figure to be in. We’ll come back to the rest.

Berrios and Odorizzi are going to start. Gibson probably will. Perez might. Or it could be some combo of the younger guys to keep Perez as a loogy type. That’s probably what I would do. Further, I would probably try to match up the two guys that (hopefully) will get through 5 or 6 innings in a potential game 4. Not just lefty, righty, but style of pitcher tailored to the opponent. If I were a betting man, I would put my money on a Graterol/Smeltzer combo for game four. Depending on the schedule, one of them (and possibly both) would be available for a batter or two in game one. That leaves one more. At this point, I’d say it is a dart toss. The top candidates are likely Harper, Thorpe and Dobnak.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 16 September 2019 - 08:26 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, miguel sano, byron buxton, nelson cruz, brusdar graterol