Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (9/4): Berrios Continues Rough Stretch, Rodriguez Sails

jose berrios eddie rosario cody stashak brusdar graterol
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,746 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:00 PM

The folks at Fenway gave Berrios a nice hand for his play on the slow grounder. I always feel that I'm among baseball fans, and not just home-town rooters, when I'm there.

But they do love their Mookie, too. :)

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#22 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,626 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:09 PM

Absolute overreaction. He's in a slump. The only guys we have are Big Mike and Odorizzi. The Twins are going to need Berrios in the playoffs (if they make the playoffs) and you'll be watching him start a game if you're lucky.

This is not an “absolute overreaction.” This is the third year in a row this guy has absolutely imploded down the stretch. He didn’t exactly shine in his only playoff appearance against the Yankees either. I’d think the concern was a little misguided if he had looked amazing when the bright lights were on in October.

It’s absolutely not an overreaction to wonder if Berrios can even help you in the playoffs at this point.

I get your sentiment, though. I agree that you have to use him in the playoffs despite the legitimate concern. He has the kind of upside that can take over a game and win it for you. He can go 7-8 shutout innings and K 10 guys. If I’m Baldelli, I just can’t sit that down for guys who, with all due respect, stink. We already know Dobnak, Smeltzer, etc have zero shot at locking down the Yankees or Astros for 7 inning on the road and stealing one for you.

Whether it’s likely to happen or not, you still have to give him the opportunity. He could totally swing a series with two shut down performances in game 1 and 4.

The difference between Berrios at the top of his game and Smeltzer is massive. I hate to sound so negative towards them, but if Smeltzer or Dobnak start a game in any other role than an opener, the guys can start making tee times for the following week.

Edited by Darius, 05 September 2019 - 12:13 PM.

• Platoon and bighat like this

#23 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,039 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:04 PM

Either way, take the series tonight!

White Sox up on Cleveland 6-1 in the 7th inning. How sweet it would be to waltz into tonight's game seeing that big "L" on the scoreboard from the Indians already booked.

• SwainZag and wabene like this

#24 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,734 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:08 PM

Kind of stinks that Cleveland has an afternoon game on Thursday while the Twins have to finish up their series with Boston in the evening.The Indians will be all tucked away in their hotel rooms getting some rest while the Twins have to take the overnight flight back to the Twin Cites.For such an important series too....

They can think about losing 2-3 to the sox, and without a great catch they get SWEPT

• wabene likes this

#25 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,746 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:47 PM

... before giving way to Brusdar Graterol for his second career outing. After giving up a leadoff walk, Graterol got three straight lineouts to end the inning.

Yeah, that glosses over the absolute rocket that was directed right to his own midsection, which luckily he got his glove up in time to make a "look what I got!" catch. Ball went in at 99 MPH, came back at probably 120. Good for him, for making that play, the only out recorded against Betts last night, perhaps the only way an out COULD be recorded on that guy.

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#26 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,537 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:06 PM

This is not an “absolute overreaction.” This is the third year in a row this guy has absolutely imploded down the stretch. He didn’t exactly shine in his only playoff appearance against the Yankees either. I’d think the concern was a little misguided if he had looked amazing when the bright lights were on in October.

It’s absolutely not an overreaction to wonder if Berrios can even help you in the playoffs at this point.

I get your sentiment, though. I agree that you have to use him in the playoffs despite the legitimate concern. He has the kind of upside that can take over a game and win it for you. He can go 7-8 shutout innings and K 10 guys. If I’m Baldelli, I just can’t sit that down for guys who, with all due respect, stink. We already know Dobnak, Smeltzer, etc have zero shot at locking down the Yankees or Astros for 7 inning on the road and stealing one for you.

Whether it’s likely to happen or not, you still have to give him the opportunity. He could totally swing a series with two shut down performances in game 1 and 4.

The difference between Berrios at the top of his game and Smeltzer is massive. I hate to sound so negative towards them, but if Smeltzer or Dobnak start a game in any other role than an opener, the guys can start making tee times for the following week.

If the decision needed to be made today there is no way Berrios starts game one. Game 3 is most likely as of today.

#27 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,635 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:19 PM

What's up with Graterol? Hasn't even topped 100mph yet. Is he losing his velocity?:P

But seriously, the heat is great, but it seems to be a no movement heat so far to me.... am I the only one? Hitter's seem to not have a problem hitting it. Looking forward to seeing more.

#28 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,129 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:31 PM

I wondered sort of the same. Not many missed bats for that velocity. Lots of time yet, he must have something going on to be up here at this age. But if it's straight, it's still meat regardless of the velo.
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#29 launchingthrees

launchingthrees

• 207 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:44 PM

What's up with Graterol? Hasn't even topped 100mph yet. Is he losing his velocity?:P

But seriously, the heat is great, but it seems to be a no movement heat so far to me.... am I the only one? Hitter's seem to not have a problem hitting it. Looking forward to seeing more.

You are not the only one. It is glaring.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, eddie rosario, cody stashak, brusdar graterol