Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Front Page: Minnesota’s Ideal Path Through the AL Playoffs

houston astros new york yankees ervin santana jose berrios justin verlander
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,202 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:54 PM

My (ridiculous) take:

The Yankees have a questionable rotation and a strong bullpen, while the Astros are just the opposite. If I want the Twins best chance of advancing one round, I'd take the Yankees first. BUT, if I want the Twins best chance of advancing to the WS, I want the Yankees 2nd. My thoughts being that the Yankees are going to run away with their division and can rest their pen late in the regular season, so I would like Oak/TB/Cle to force them to put some innings on those arms, possibly keeping some of them unavailable or limited early in the next series..

So far this year, the Twins OPS in the first 5 innings is about 100 points higher than it is in the rest of the game. I like the offense's chances against Houston's top end starters more than I do New York's top end relievers, so if I got to pick one I'd rather not get extra rest, it'd be the relievers.

• FlauerPauer likes this

#22 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 421 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:11 PM

How would the Yankees (or Wild Card) feel about facing a team that just homered their way past Verlander, Cole, and Grienke? The Twins are built even better for that slow pitch softball yard in New York than the Yankees....and they’re running out the rotting zombie corpses of Tanaka and Happ after German? I’d feel pretty darn good at that point.

I'll note that Severino is coming back soon.

#23 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:00 PM

Ideal path: Rain out after every game so they never play two in a row so the better bullpen boys can pitch every game.

Of course, they would have to play until like Thanksgiving, but hey. Whatever works.

#24 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,496 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:18 PM

I just think it's kinda cool that the three teams leading their NL Divisions are all past World Series opponents for the Twins: Dodgers ('65), Cardinals ('87), and Braves ('91.) A rematch against any of them would be fun and bring out the nostalgia. 

Would definitely need to watch the replays of those games to get the vibe right! Go Twins!

• woolywoolhouse likes this

#25 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,496 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:19 PM

No guarantee that he will be where he was last year. I'd take my chances.

• brvama and Oldgoat_MN like this

#26 spycake

spycake

• 17,099 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:51 PM

Severino will be in the pen, or a short starter (opener type). Although they have the bullpen quality to perhaps make up for that, especially if Betances comes back strong too -- although they're running out of time to find out, as both are just now making their season debuts in minor league rehab games.

#27 blindeke

blindeke

• 513 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:09 PM

Ideal path:

Twins play the Yankees with New York having the home field advantage and sweep them.

(Whatever happens after that, I'll be happy.)

#28 Trov

Trov

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 196 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:06 AM

After next 9 games we will know much more about where we will fall into playoff picture.I think we will win division, unless Cleveland can take 5 of remaining 6 or all 6, against us.I think we will be road team, but looking at our record that may be a good thing.  

It really does not matter who we play, most likely if we want to get the ship we will need to beat both Houston and New York.We can beat either, and both have dealt with injuries all year on and off.New York has major pitching problems, but our pitchers did nothing to stop their lineup either.  

Should be a fun October. 

#29 gocgo

gocgo

• 1,606 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 04:04 PM

Hmmm.Well, Cleveland is 1 game out of the wildcard right now and I would like to see the Twins take out the Yankees, have Cleveland sneak in and win the wildcard playoff game, and then take out Houston with their solid pitching staff.Honestly, if those 4 teams are the last 4 standing in the AL, the Yankees and the Twins have the two worst pitching staffs from a starting pitching perspective.Indians bullpen is wobbling (and that is being kind).When it comes to the playoffs, you ride the starting staff as far as they will take you and then roll the dice on your bullpen.Pitch counts be damned!

That said, I hope the Twins knock Cleveland even further down the ladder in the next 10 days.

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: houston astros, new york yankees, ervin santana, jose berrios, justin verlander