Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (9/2): Late Labor Day Offense Propels Twins

jake odorizzi ehire adrianza max kepler luis arraez mitch garver
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• 402 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:40 PM

An even .600 clip for the last 25 games gets Minnesota to 100 wins.Magic number is 20 unless the Chisox get hot in their last three innings tonight.If the Twins hit that 100 win pace, the Indians _must_ win 22 of 25 (including today) in order to finish ahead.If the Twins go 13 and 12 for 98 wins, Cleveland still has to win 20.We are in the driver's seat for the division title, folks.

Overtaking HOU and NYY is a tough problem at 4 games back.If both play .500 ball to go 102 - 60, The Twins must play at a .720 clip to catch them.They don't call it the final stretch for nothing.

I kind of hope the Twins finish the third seed because we play so much better on the road.

• Danchat likes this

#22 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 655 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:49 PM

The Twins did a lot of things well in the past two games. Besides the bullpen, which suddenly seems like the backbone of this club, the hitters continued to let the pitches determine where they should be hit. Opposite field hitting led to a bunch of runs over the past two days. That shows some relaxed hitting at the plate...I'll call it the Cruz Method because it seems to exemplify his approach. Cruising with Cruz.

• ashbury, SwainZag, CUtomorrownight and 2 others like this

#23 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 655 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:51 PM

I kind of hope the Twins finish the third seed because we play so much better on the road.

Not in every house...

• Jeff_M likes this

#24 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 655 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:57 PM

Great clutch hit from Kep, really nice win.

However...Adrianza's decision to go 1st to 3rd on that hit was really, really bad. Terrible. He made it, but close enough that he never should have went. That could have cost the Twins the go ahead run.

Great observation and exactly what I was thinking. Again, when the play is front of the fielders, even poor fielders are likely to throw you out. It's an easy throw. The Twins were VERY fortunate that the throw was not great, but I'd say 4 out of 5 times Adrianza is going to be toast in that situation.

#25 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:13 PM

Here's some talk about today's pitching performance, a look ahead at the Boston series and some additional context into just how good Randy Dobnak was in the high minors this season.

• railmarshalljon and VivaBomboRivera! like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#26 twinssporto

twinssporto

Don't try pitching around me!

• 2,131 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:18 PM

Yes, let's silence Cleveland!

I think you mean "moot." :) 

It's a common confusion -- you mute the television; irrelevant things are moot.

Thank you. It's Labor Day and my mouth is mute.  I meant moot. Spell checker agin...

Sory!   

• IndianaTwin and carewser like this
On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#27 railmarshalljon

railmarshalljon

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 51 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:11 AM

Here's some talk about today's pitching performance, a look ahead at the Boston series and some additional context into just how good Randy Dobnak was in the high minors this season.

Hadn't realized how good of a year Dobnaks had. He seems to have a real... handle on hitters. But loving Twins Pitch so far keep it up! It's especially great for days I have to work. Keep up the good work Tom!

• stringer bell and Tom Froemming like this

You can't change the past, but you can still ruin your future.

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,821 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:02 AM

Got to say that I'm thrilled with a 5.5 game lead... need to hold it coming into that Cleveland series. They still have enough games with us to make it close again.

• laloesch, howieramone2, wabene and 1 other like this

#29 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• 425 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:36 AM

i really like all these comments but i hope Rocco is listening when i say this. In a 5 game LDS those first 2 games at home is a Huge advantage. Let us not forget we have time to get that #2 seed. And, we would hold the tiebreaker over the Stros based on our 4-3 season series win.
  • VivaBomboRivera! likes this

#30 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,103 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:35 AM

i really like all these comments but i hope Rocco is listening when i say this. In a 5 game LDS those first 2 games at home is a Huge advantage. Let us not forget we have time to get that #2 seed. And, we would hold the tiebreaker over the Stros based on our 4-3 season series win.

The Twins are a much better team on the road than at home though.
  • Bandit34 likes this

#31 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,159 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:37 AM

Great clutch hit from Kep, really nice win.

However...Adrianza's decision to go 1st to 3rd on that hit was really, really bad. Terrible. He made it, but close enough that he never should have went. That could have cost the Twins the go ahead run.

I was wondering about that. I saw him trying to stretch to third and said “WHY?!?!!!” It was not a smart move, though he’s slow enough the run may have scored anyway.

Still though, very little point in taking that risk just to reach third base.
  • wabene likes this

#32 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,159 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:39 AM

Got to say that I'm thrilled with a 5.5 game lead... need to hold it coming into that Cleveland series. They still have enough games with us to make it close again.

The good thing about this lead is just going 3-3 against Cleveland basically buries them.
  • howieramone2, wabene, rdehring and 1 other like this

#33 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• 402 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:49 AM

That's what I thought going into the 2006 ALDS against the Oakland A's. Instead we played terribly the first two games at home. I think we split the first two games in Houston. We are an elite team on the road. 

• wabene and Channing1964 like this

#34 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 119 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:05 AM

Here's some talk about today's pitching performance, a look ahead at the Boston series and some additional context into just how good Randy Dobnak was in the high minors this season...

Overlooked the fact that there were _no_ walks today.Cannot take that for granted.

• wabene likes this

#35 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,642 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:06 AM

Priorities...1, win division. Lost of games left with Cleveland. Next 12 are Cleveland, the Red Sox, who we never seem to play well against, and the Nationals, who have about the best record in baseball over the last 3+ months (58-28 since May 23).

2, rest key starters, leverage relievers, and even certain position players (i.e., Polanco), and dinged-up guys.

3, get playing time for key guys coming off injuries (Buxton, Gonzalez).

If I were Rocco, getting the #2 seed wouldn't even register in my consciousness at this point. If it happens, it happens. Win a game on the road.

Edited by jkcarew, 03 September 2019 - 10:16 AM.

• 70charger and Channing1964 like this

#36 Linus

Linus

• 2,356 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:26 AM

One thing about the game was another sub par fielding day. Odo got in trouble after Cron missed the foul pop followed by Areaz not getting a glove on two grounders within his reach. I believe Cave had another blinger as well. They have to play better in the field
  • wabene likes this

#37 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,475 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:42 AM

Priorities...1, win division. Lost of games left with Cleveland. Next 12 are Cleveland, the Red Sox, who we never seem to play well against, and the Nationals, who have about the best record in baseball over the last 3+ months (58-28 since May 23).

2, rest key starters, leverage relievers, and even certain position players (i.e., Polanco), and dinged-up guys.

If I were Rocco, getting the #2 seed wouldn't even register in my consciousness at this point. If it happens, it happens. Win a game on the road.

You missed one. Priority 1 is always "Beat the White Sox." With their loss last evening, we have now clinched at least a tie. A Twins win tonight or a Sox loss will mathematically eliminate them.

Then we can move to your list, which I think otherwise is right on target. 

Edited by IndianaTwin, 03 September 2019 - 10:42 AM.

#38 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,475 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:44 AM

The good thing about this lead is just going 3-3 against Cleveland basically buries them.

Frankly, even going just 2-4 against them means that they still have to make up four games in the loss column in the other 18 (Cle) or 19 (Min) games. Not impossible by any means, but still a tough task. 

#39 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• 425 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:44 PM

You know four people responded to my post and all of you make great points. When i really think about it what i am afraid of is that they lose their edge. A friend of mine and I were trying to name a wild card team thats ever won a World Series. We started it out because we talked about how hard it would be to go on the road after game #162...win one game, then fly out to the #1 seed and start the LDS. We came to find out that several titles have been won by wild card teams including both Marlin's ones and the 04' Red Sox. When i think back to 2010, the Twins clinched so early that i feel they lost their competitive edge. I just don't wanna see that happen to this years team.

#40 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,642 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:47 PM

You know four people responded to my post and all of you make great points. When i really think about it what i am afraid of is that they lose their edge. A friend of mine and I were trying to name a wild card team thats ever won a World Series. We started it out because we talked about how hard it would be to go on the road after game #162...win one game, then fly out to the #1 seed and start the LDS. We came to find out that several titles have been won by wild card teams including both Marlin's ones and the 04' Red Sox. When i think back to 2010, the Twins clinched so early that i feel they lost their competitive edge. I just don't wanna see that happen to this years team.

You don’t want the wild card. That path is much tougher since they added the second wild-card and the ‘play-in’ game. Now, even if you survive that, you’ve typically burned your best starter. You absolutely want to win the division. But, I don’t think there’s that much value difference between the 2 and 3 seed...or even the 1 and 3 seed.
  • Channing1964 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake odorizzi, ehire adrianza, max kepler, luis arraez, mitch garver