Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Week in Review: Bombs Away

nelson cruz brusdar graterol jose berrios
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:00 AM

I would wager a great deal of money Arraez doesnt keep that up against LH pitching.

Well yeah of course he's not gonna keep up a .400 OBP lol. But he's also got a 6-to-14 K/BB ratio against LHP so there isn't much reason to think he won't keep taking those great ABs and getting himself aboard. Also, while he's finally shaking out of it, Schoop has shrunk in big spots pretty much all year long while the opposite is true for Arraez. That's a big factor for me in a postseason discussion.

Like I said, it's debatable but hardly a cinch IMO. 

#22 LeatherAntenna

LeatherAntenna

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 124 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:55 AM

Honestly, I think a lot of that will depend on how this week goes. If we take it to Cleveland this weekend and see that lead widen, a lot of guys are going to get rested...

I personally think even if we don't that it would be wise to skip a start or two from Berrios. We aren't going far if he isn't fixed.

good thought that if the Twins enter a “we can take it easy” mode and rest people, but my guess the guys when they get in will be swinging “bombs away.”

#23 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 438 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 11:08 AM

Looks like Dobnak is starting tonight for the Twins...?

#24 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,526 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 11:23 AM

So if the Twins one of the first two in Boston, does Graterol get the start on Wednesday?

Or does Roco play it "safe" by using Smeltzer or Thorpe?

Or all of the above?

Not even a remote chance Graterol gets a start...unless, it's in 'opener' fashion. So, maybe 'all of the above". The last time Graterol had an appearance that lasted more than 2 innings or 29 pitches was May 19...which was also his last appearance this season as a starting pitcher. The question at this point is...will Graterol start games next year? Lot's of signs that point to 'no'.

#25 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 438 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 11:29 AM

Not even a remote chance Graterol gets a start...unless, it's in 'opener' fashion. So, maybe 'all of the above". The last time Graterol had an appearance that lasted more than 2 innings or 29 pitches was May 19...which was also his last appearance this season as a starting pitcher. The question at this point is...will Graterol start games next year? Lot's of signs that point to 'no'.

Graterol would be a nice opener for someone like Smeltzer or Thorpe - or even Gibson or Perez.

#26 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,526 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 11:38 AM

"On the other hand, they've won only one series against a good team in the past two months. Their rotation looks like a mess even against bottom-dwelling clubs that have all but given up. And now, the difficulty level is about to turn up by several notches. It feels like a reckoning is coming unless Minnesota can rise to the challenge."

Fair assessment, IMO. Twins next 12 games: 6 against Cleveland; 6 against Boston/Washington (Nationals with best record in baseball over last 3+ months...58-28 since May 23).

Cleveland's next 12 games: 6 against Twins; 6 against Angels/White Sox.

We ain't home yet. Especially considering how the starting pitching match-ups could look over this stretch. This stretch is about surviving. Surviving should be good enough. Thriving would be great, and that's possible, but not my expectation.

#27 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,945 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:23 PM

And the most important question of the day. Can the Twins hit 300 BIG FLIES?

You mean this evening?

• ashbury and highlander like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nelson cruz, brusdar graterol, jose berrios