Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Brusdar Graterol Among 8 Callups, Kyle Gibson to the IL

brusdar graterol kyle gibson willians astudillo lewis thorpe zack littell
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 623 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:17 PM

Time to send Perez to IL.

• D.C Twins likes this

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,309 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:33 PM

I understand that Graterol can still be eligible for the playoffs -- but what's the reason for waiting until today? Couldn't they have just as easily put Poppen on the 60-day DL before midnight August 31, add Graterol and Miller then, and not trouble with petitioning the commissioner for postseason eligibility later?

Theoretically, that would also save the Gordon petition gambit to be applied to someone else, if necessary. (Not that there are a lot of other options.)

I agree... I'm scratching my head over this. I'm sure they can maneuver if necessary but as you say... why maneuver?  

We had an extra 40 man spot to begin with plus Poppen to the 60 day. 

It seems intentional but for the life of me... I don't know why this was intended. 

• Platoon and D.C Twins like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#23 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,492 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:42 PM

1] Very pleased by the opportunity for Graterol. I still think it's more about experience for 2020 but who knows, he might catch fire.

2] A little surprised by no Alcala, Hildenberger or Harper. Then again, Rochester still has a couple games to play so you can't bring up everyone.

3] Anyone else a little surprised Stewart was brought up?

Harper needs to be down 10 days. It was the same for Thorpe but he returned with Gibson on IL. I hope he is brought back as well as Hildenberger and Romero.

I am glad to see everyone who contributed on the team on the roster for the drive to the playoffs. Stewart’s moment was a shut down 9th through the heart of the A’s lineup before a walk off win against Oakland.

#24 rghrbek

rghrbek

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 681 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:52 PM

If they put Graterol on the 40 man before today wouldn't his clock start ticking?  September call ups do not, am I wrong?

It's probably the right thing to do, although if he is good, it would be nice to have him on playoff roster without giving up someone else to the IR.

#25 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,359 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:56 PM

Would really like to see starts go to Graterol and Thorpe.

Graterol has not been starting since his activation off the DL. He's not stretched out, zero time to do so. He's not getting any starts in the remainder of 2019. Possibly in an opener role, but not as a traditional starter.
  • PseudoSABR, Danchat, D.C Twins and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#26 rghrbek

rghrbek

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 681 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:10 PM

If Graterol is good they will just put Gordon on the DL, as he won't be brought up anyway.  So best of both worlds I guess.

• D.C Twins likes this

#27 IndyTwinsFan

IndyTwinsFan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 469 posts
  • LocationHoosier Land (but not a Hoosier)

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:24 PM

Nice opportunity for someone to step into Gibson's next 1 or 2 starts and show the team that they at least might have what it takes to earn a roster spot next season. I hope that the UC conditions are at least partly to blame for the quality of his pitching much of the season. I also hope he can get the condition at least somewhat under control. Can't be enjoyable trying to be a major league pitcher with that condition.
  • glunn likes this

#28 spycake

spycake

• 16,973 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:25 PM

If they put Graterol on the 40 man before today wouldn't his clock start ticking? September call ups do not, am I wrong?

You are wrong. :)

September counts towards service time the same as any other month. The only difference is in determining rookie eligibility for the ROY award.
  • rghrbek likes this

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,309 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:34 PM

If they put Graterol on the 40 man before today wouldn't his clock start ticking?  September call ups do not, am I wrong?

It's probably the right thing to do, although if he is good, it would be nice to have him on playoff roster without giving up someone else to the IR.

Service time is accrued when he is wearing a major league uniform. It stops ticking when he sent back to Rochester. 

The only concern that you would have is a possible need to take him off the 40 man roster. This would expose him to other teams. That's why adding a guy to the 40 man early is something that must be done carefully and why teams are not in a big rush with young players. 

• glunn, Dman, D.C Twins and 1 other like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#30 spycake

spycake

• 16,973 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 02:26 PM

I understand that Graterol can still be eligible for the playoffs -- but what's the reason for waiting until today? Couldn't they have just as easily put Poppen on the 60-day DL before midnight August 31, add Graterol and Miller then, and not trouble with petitioning the commissioner for postseason eligibility later?

Theoretically, that would also save the Gordon petition gambit to be applied to someone else, if necessary. (Not that there are a lot of other options.)

Here's our answer:

When you select someone's contract (add them to the 40-man roster), and it's during the 25-man roster portion of the season (from opening day through Aug. 31), you have to either add them to the 25-man or option them immediately. And once optioned, they have to spend 10 days on optional assignment.

That means Miller isn't technically postseason eligible yet either. I guess we could petition to use Gordon's spot and Gonsalves' spot to make both Miller and Graterol postseason eligible? Assuming Gonsalves doesn't get activated himself (he is on rehab right now).

Of course, we could have added and optioned Graterol/Miller on Aug. 22nd, and recalled them 10 days later on Sep. 1. Or done some DL stuff (Gibson/Gonzalez?). But I guess if there's a zero percent chance we need the postseason eligibility petition for Alcala or whatever, it doesn't much matter.
  • SQUIRREL likes this

#31 Monticore

Monticore

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 105 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 02:49 PM

La Tortuga. He's the good luck charm of this team.

#32 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 02:57 PM

So, who gets the starts for Gibson? I like Thorpe's stuff the best of the callups, but Smetzer makes the most out of his ability. No Kohl Stewart for me, thanks.

I go with Smeltzer because I think Thorpe potentially becomes a second lefty in the postseason. Spend the next month figuring out if that is the case.
  • D.C Twins likes this

#33 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,309 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 03:24 PM

Here's our answer:

When you select someone's contract (add them to the 40-man roster), and it's during the 25-man roster portion of the season (from opening day through Aug. 31), you have to either add them to the 25-man or option them immediately. And once optioned, they have to spend 10 days on optional assignment.

That means Miller isn't technically postseason eligible yet either. I guess we could petition to use Gordon's spot and Gonsalves' spot to make both Miller and Graterol postseason eligible? Assuming Gonsalves doesn't get activated himself (he is on rehab right now).

Of course, we could have added and optioned Graterol/Miller on Aug. 22nd, and recalled them 10 days later on Sep. 1. Or done some DL stuff (Gibson/Gonzalez?). But I guess if there's a zero percent chance we need the postseason eligibility petition for Alcala or whatever, it doesn't much matter.

It would have sucked for Stashak personally but... Cody could have been a little 10 day playoff gift to the Blue Wahoos. 

Founded 4-23-16 

#34 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,869 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:36 PM

Here's our answer:

Learn something new every day. Thanks for doing the research! :)

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#35 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,869 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:37 PM

So, who gets the starts for Gibson? I like Thorpe's stuff the best of the callups, but Smetzer makes the most out of his ability. No Kohl Stewart for me, thanks.

Since Thorpe was called up in Gibson’s spot, are they obligated to use him there?

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#36 twinssporto

twinssporto

Don't try pitching around me!

• 2,118 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:50 PM

Let's go Gator!  Throwin' heat!

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#37 railmarshalljon

railmarshalljon

Elizabethton Twins

• 40 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:29 PM

Since Thorpe was called up in Gibson’s spot, are they obligated to use him there?

I can't imagine that would be the case. There's no obligation to use a pitcher in a sort of way or even have a starting staff of 5 as far as I'm concerned.

You can't change the past, but you can still ruin your future.

#38 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,866 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:48 PM

I can't imagine that would be the case. There's no obligation to use a pitcher in a sort of way or even have a starting staff of 5 as far as I'm concerned.

I think you missed the sarcasm.....

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#39 railmarshalljon

railmarshalljon

Elizabethton Twins

• 40 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:33 AM

I think you missed the sarcasm.....

100%. Still missing it tbh...

You can't change the past, but you can still ruin your future.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brusdar graterol, kyle gibson, willians astudillo, lewis thorpe, zack littell