Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: The 10 Most Important Home Runs for This Record-Breaking Twins Team

max kepler nelson cruz eddie rosario miguel sano mitch garver
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Cooper Carlson

Cooper Carlson

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:34 PM

The 2019 Minnesota Twins have broken the all time home run record for a single season! This quick post will highlight the ten most impactful home runs according to how much win probability they added in that game. Basically, I am ranking the ten most valuable home runs this season.10. Jonathan Schoop at Texas (8/16/19) 0.31 WPA

Schoop entered this game in the midst of what is likely the largest slump of his career. The Rangers had taken the lead in the previous half inning, but Schoop put the Twins back on top with this two-run blast. The Twins would go on to win this game 4-3.

9. Miguel Sano at Angels (5/20/19) 0.34 WPA

Sano’s second home run of the season was definitely a big one. The Twins were up 1-0 throughout the whole game but the Angels came back in the bottom of the seventh and tied it. Luckily, Miguel Sano came up clutch and smoked this two-run bomb that would lead to a 3-1 win.

8. Miguel Sano vs Detroit (8/24/19) 0.35 WPA

This fifth inning blast from Sano gave the Twins a commanding 6-4 lead after being down 4-1 in a game the Twins couldn’t afford to lose. It came during a period where Sano was just insanely productive at the plate and that continued here.

7. Mitch Garver vs Kansas City (6/14/19) 0.37 WPA

The Mitch Garver clutch two-run bomb against the Royals is definitely one of the most memorable homers this season. The late inning drama in a game tied at zero, followed by a crowd-exploding home run to take the lead and later win the game is something everyone will remember.

6. Miguel Sano vs Atlanta (8/5/19) 0.43 WPA

This walk-off bomb from the Twins slugger was easily one of the most dramatic and exciting wins of the season. Playing against an elite Atlanta team, this was the perfect way to begin the series. This pinch -it blast is one of the most memorable homers this season.

5. Max Kepler vs Boston (6/18/19) 0.43 WPA

This home run came in one of the craziest and longest games in Twins history. First of all, Max didn’t get an at bat until the eighth inning because he was subbed into the game. He tied the game in the eighth and then hit this clutch home run in the 13th inning. He would go on to provide the walkoff single in the 17th inning.

4. Byron Buxton vs Seattle (6/12/19) 0.45 WPA

Byron Buxton had the entire state of Minnesota cheering for him for like 15 minutes after this huge home run. The Twins would eventually go on to lose, but we’re going to ignore that. Just remember how much fun you were having when this home run was hit to cap off a huge comeback.

3. Eddie Rosario vs Oakland (7/18/19) 0.46 WPA

Rosario pinch hit for a struggling Jake Cave and did what Eddie Rosario loves to do. The Twins were down 3-1 against a great Oakland bullpen and with one swing of the bat, Rosario put the Twins on top for good.

2. Miguel Sano vs New York (7/23/19) 0.52 WPA

If you are just a neutral fan, this was probably the greatest game you’ve ever seen. Constant lead changes, clutch hits and huge home runs, finished off by what could finish as the catch of the season. In the late innings, Sano crushed a memorable two -run blast that temporarily had Twins fans ecstatic.

1. Marwin Gonzalez at Milwaukee (8/13/19) 0.59 WPA

Finally, the most meaningful home run out of this historic season so far was the Gonzo bomb off the elite reliever Josh Hader. The Twins held a lead all the way to the seventh inning, but Ryne Harper gave up a few runs and Hader was in for the two-inning save. Unfortunately for him, he was facing the bomba squad. After a Rosario double and Sano walk, Gonzalez came up with a chance to take the lead and did this….

Those are the ten most meaningful home runs this season in terms of win probability added. All of them so much fun, and yet we aren’t even at the most fun part of the season. Watch out MLB, the Twins are headed for the playoffs. Which home run was your favorite? Discuss in the comments!

Click here to view the article
  • SQUIRREL, Jerr and Riverbrian like this

#2 oregontwin

oregontwin

Elizabethton Twins

• 19 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:46 PM

Doesn't 8 players with 20+ home runs also set some sort of record? Been tickling my memory, but I can't remember for sure.

#3 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 623 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:14 PM

Sano hit 4 out of top 10. He is supposed to be the most dangerous hitter in Twins lineup.

• Jerr and Danchat like this

#4 jdoffing11

jdoffing11

Elizabethton Twins

• 36 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:37 PM

Crazy how many big homers we've had that a walkoff could only be 6th in WPA. Marwin's and Eddie's will always be my personal favorites, just because of what was going on with the division. For Eddie's, we had just gone from a 7.5 to 4 game lead in the span of 4 days, and lost 14-4 to the Mets the day before. There was a large panic going through the fanbase, with Cleveland winning that night the lead would've been down to 3 if not for the HR. Marwin's simply gave us the division lead back.

• Jerr likes this

#5 ToddlerHarmon

ToddlerHarmon

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 95 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:10 AM

jz7233 nailed it. Not only does Sano hit 4 of the 10, no one else hits more than 1. If Sano is on when the playoffs start, I feel pretty good, no matter who we are facing.

#6 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 160 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:43 AM

It is fun to go from a team who had hardly any power to this.I always thought that is what we were missing a 1st and DH, never imagined we would get so much more.When I would wish for power at 1st and DH I was mostly told that Mauer and Grossmans (or whoever they slotted in) OBP was just as important.Last year was the worst.We had a lead-off who had a horrible season but they kept trotting him out there. FINALLY!

#7 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 160 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:46 AM

Off topic but does anyone have DISH? Did you get a lower monthly bill w/o FSN?I did not and think because it is my most watched channel in the summer I would get a healthy refund, not just a couple of bucks.That DISH dude goes on an on about saving us money when in fact they are only saving themselves for now.If you got a refund how did you do it?

#8 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 215 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:40 AM

Doesn't 8 players with 20+ home runs also set some sort of record? Been tickling my memory, but I can't remember for sure.

I am not sure on that or this. They have a decent chance of getting 5 over 30 

#9 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,071 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:51 AM

Yes. The record was at 7 for players with 20 or more home runs in a season. It was just a matter of time with Polanco sitting at 19 for so long. And if Gonzo can hit a few more, we could wind up with 9.
  • Jerr likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#10 LeatherAntenna

LeatherAntenna

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 124 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:13 AM

Love this thread, thank you! Imagine that you were itching to get it out. Seven days ago I thought it impossible the Twins set the record in August.

#11 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:01 PM

Cool article. It would be fun to see which defensive plays were most important too.

• Danchat, tarheeltwinsfan and Cooper Carlson like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#12 LeatherAntenna

LeatherAntenna

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 124 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:58 PM

. Last Year the Dodgers tied the MLB mark then with seven.

#13 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,293 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:37 PM

The Twins need at least 1 grand slam this year. Load those bases guys and start swinging..

#14 Crackedfungo

Crackedfungo

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 77 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:41 PM

I know he strikes out quite a bit.But, where are all those board members that wanted to dump Sano at his low point (4 of the 10 HRs)?He needs more time to become a complete player, but he is in a great place with Cruz, Baldelli, and all the minor league players he matriculated with, and the pressure if off him to carry the team.He is going to have a few monster years in the next few (if they get him signed).

#15 WLFINN

WLFINN

• 195 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 10:00 PM

What about Adrianza’s homerun against Verlander to win the game 1-0? Seems like that should have made the list...
  • tarheeltwinsfan, Nine of twelve and jz7233 like this

#16 Matt Braun

Matt Braun

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 10:20 PM

What about Adrianza’s homerun against Verlander to win the game 1-0? Seems like that should have made the list...

The key for WPA is timing, that was hit early on in the game when more could have happened later so the WPA bump is relatively minor even though it ended up being the only run scored.

• ashbury likes this

#17 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,885 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:45 AM

The Twins need at least 1 grand slam this year. Load those bases guys and start swinging..

They do have one. Buxton in May.

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#18 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,293 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 02:26 PM

They do have one. Buxton in May.

"more" I meant 1 "more" grand slam. Yea, that's what I meant. Really. "one more" ...yea that's it. Really. You believe me don't you?

• ashbury likes this

#19 LeatherAntenna

LeatherAntenna

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 124 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:40 PM

. Last Year the Dodgers tied the MLB mark then with seven.
. 2018: Home runs are dramatically up in MLB this season and that means some home run history will inevitably be made. The Dodgers fulfilled that idea Wednesday, entering the history books with a booming homer from Matt Kemp in the second inning of their game against the Rockies. Kemp’s solo shot bumped his season total up to 20 and gave the Dodgers their seventh 20-homer hitter on the season, tying an MLB record for most 20-homer hitters on a team in a single season. The Los Angeles group now includes Kemp, Cody Bellinger, Yasmani Grandal, Enrique Hernandez, Max Muncy, Joc Pederson and Yasiel Puig. The Dodgers came close to such a mark last year with six players reaching the milestone, and they managed to hit seven this year without three of the hitters from last year (Corey Seager, Chris Taylor and Justin Turner).

Moderator edit: This passage comes from the following Yahoo Sports link. Please don't lift quotations verbatim without attribution.

https://sports.yahoo...-051853742.html

Edited by ashbury, 03 September 2019 - 08:05 AM.
Respect for copyright

#20 LeatherAntenna

LeatherAntenna

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 124 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:43 PM

And the next record, 4, 5 or possibly 6 with 30 HRs. There are six who could do it but Cron is obviously the longest shot. But the way Cron is hitting ....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: max kepler, nelson cruz, eddie rosario, miguel sano, mitch garver