Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/30): Bats Back Up Gibson, Twins Win 6th Straight

kyle gibson jorge polanco max kepler tyler duffey trevor may
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 441 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:24 AM

Gibson is 9-9 with a 5.37 ERA in his career vs. the Tigers (21 starts). b4 last night-he is what he is-NOT GOOD

Is it within realm to call Gibson the same pitcher that Nick Blackburn was, with the exception that Gibson gets more Ks?

#22 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,642 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:54 AM

Is it within realm to call Gibson the same pitcher that Nick Blackburn was, with the exception that Gibson gets more Ks?

Gibson gets more Ks, gives up fewer hits, fewer walks, fewer home runs, has a lower ERA, a lower WHIP, a lower FIP, has more wins, and has three times as many career WAR.

Other than that, they are the same, I guess.
  • Brock Beauchamp and SwainZag like this

#23 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,642 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:11 AM

I know everyone on this site hates Gibson, is ready to be done with him, etc. But I will say, he’s got an ERA+ of 100, and is posting his career best walk and strikeout rates. He’s started every game, and isn’t an ace, but he is a very serviceable. He’s not at the top of his game right now, but he’s average, and he’s had stretches where he has been well above that.

I think that the animosity towards him is overwrought and undeserved. And the incessant “nibble” comments kind of drive me nuts. When pitchers get ahead with two strikes, they try to get the hitters out with pitches out of the zone. That’s what pitchers do. If he were to throw more two-strike pitches down the middle, people would complain about giving players good stuff to hit with two strikes.
  • ashbury, stringer bell and SwainZag like this

#24 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,061 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:15 AM

Yeah, seven hour time difference pretty much eliminates Mexico and the Caribbean.

LOL, didn't read that. Although, there are places in Latin America that just take you back in time.....metaphorically, anyway.

#25 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,287 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:25 AM

I know everyone on this site hates Gibson, is ready to be done with him, etc. But I will say, he’s got an ERA+ of 100, and is posting his career best walk and strikeout rates. He’s started every game, and isn’t an ace, but he is a very serviceable. He’s not at the top of his game right now, but he’s average, and he’s had stretches where he has been well above that.

I think that the animosity towards him is overwrought and undeserved. And the incessant “nibble” comments kind of drive me nuts. When pitchers get ahead with two strikes, they try to get the hitters out with pitches out of the zone. That’s what pitchers do. If he were to throw more two-strike pitches down the middle, people would complain about giving players good stuff to hit with two strikes.

I agree with the statement above and would say that Gibson doesn't have the kind of raw stuff to attack with fastballs or try to bend a breaking ball over the plate. He needs hitters to chase and if they don't, a lot of pitches are just out of the strike zone. When he has excellent command, he can be very good, without his best command, he can be pretty good, but far from dominant. 

• ashbury likes this

#26 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,515 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:34 AM

The increase in strike outs is helpful but Gibson still relies on ground balls. The Twins will likely have below average defenders across the infield next year. He may not be a good fit for their defensive strength in the outfield. There will be too many balls just out of the reach of Polanco, Sano and Arraez and too many bad throws extending innings. Those innings with high pitch counts have worn on him this year and he loses command in the strike zone.

#27 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,832 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:43 AM

Blackburn also pitched huge in big games (game 163 in 2008, second to last game in 2009 and then game 2 of ALDS in Yankee stadium). Gibson would wet himself pitching a play-off game in Yankee stadium. 

Edited by howeda7, 31 August 2019 - 11:43 AM.

#28 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,832 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:46 AM

I have been a Gibby supporter. He was really pretty good from June 2017 through last season. But this season he's regressed into his old self. It's incredibly frustrating and I don't need to see anymore of it. Even if the person we replace him with in 2020 isn't any better.

If Perez keeps pitching well, I'd pick up his option, try to keep Pineda on a two year deal and go after a big FA. Berrios, FA, Pineda, Perez, Smeltzer/Graderal/Stewart/etc.

#29 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 31 August 2019 - 12:36 PM

I'm a little concerned by the power outage. I'm also concerned that my right shoelace is slightly loose.

• ashbury likes this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#30 Brandon

Brandon

• 2,009 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 01:44 PM

I'm fine with Gibson. He has pitched almost 1100 innings for us. I would be cool with a contract extension for him for up to 3 years. He could get his 100th career victory here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, jorge polanco, max kepler, tyler duffey, trevor may