Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/30): Bats Back Up Gibson, Twins Win 6th Straight

kyle gibson jorge polanco max kepler tyler duffey trevor may
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Thieres Rabelo

Thieres Rabelo

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:08 PM

They hit only one home run, but the Twins offense erupted to score 13 runs on 14 hits and secure their sixth consecutive win (matching a season-high), beating the Tigers 13-5. Kyle Gibson wasn’t sharp to start the game and couldn’t take advantage of the early run support, but he eventually did get back on his feet.Box Score
Gibson: 5.0 IP, 10 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 69.1% strikes (74 of 107 pitches)
Bullpen: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 8 K

Home Runs: Cron (23)
Multi-Hit Games: Kepler (2-for-5, RBI), Polanco (3-for-4), Cruz (3-for-4, 2 RBI), Rosario (2-for-5, 3 RBI), Cron (2-for-5, HR, 3 RBI)

Top 3 WPA: Polanco .125, Kepler .113, Cron .104

The Tigers put up a fight early, as Gibson got off to a slow start, but the Twins scored in four of the first five innings. Despite not being as sharp as he’s been during the first half of the season, Gibby was the winning pitcher for the second consecutive start, which happened for only the second time since June 1. August was the month he posted his worst ERA of the season, 6.11. He finished his outing on a positive note, however, retiring 11 of the last 13 men he faced.

This was the eighth consecutive win for the Twins on the road, matching a club record set in 2006. At 83-51, the Twins are 32 games above .500 for the first time since September 22, 2010. That’s also the third time in the past nine years that Minnesota reached that many wins in a season. The club is now on pace to win 100 games, something that happened only one other time in Minnesota Twins history (1965, 102 wins). With the Cleveland loss in Tampa, the Twins now have a four-and-a-half game lead over the Indians, their largest since July 16.

Offense bails Gibson slippery beginning
Gibson was given a 4-0 lead before he took the mound. The Twins started out aggressively and hitting three straight singles after getting a leadoff walk. They had a three-run lead before the Tigers recorded an out. Nelson Cruz, Eddie Rosario and Luis Arráez each batted in a run, while Miguel Sanó reached on a fielder’s choice.

Gibby allowed two runs on five hits in a 35-pitch first inning. Three of the seven batters he faced produced at-bats of at least six pitches.

Fortunately, small ball kept working for the Twins, as Max Kepler doubled to bring home another leadoff walk in Jason Castro and he later scored on a Cruz sacrifice fly. Minnesota regained a four-run lead, winning 6-2 after two.

But again, the Tigers gained some ground in the third. Gibson allowed three straight hits to start the inning, two of those being doubles, and Detroit scored another run. With runners on the corners, he managed to catch a break, inducing an inning-ending ground ball double play.

Twins take advantage of sloppy Tiger defense
Minnesota scored two more runs in the third, with a little help from the Detroit defense. The Twins loaded the bases with one out after outfielders Victor Reyes and Harold Castro got under a C.J. Cron pop up but couldn’t make the catch. That was when Ron Gardenhire pulled the plug on starter Edwin Jackson. Reliever Matt Hall couldn’t take care of the inherited runners. Jake Cave grounded out to score Arráez and Castro scored on a passed ball to make it 8-3.

Meanwhile, Gibson picked up the pace a little bit and pitched his first 1-2-3 inning. To make things easier, he got more run support, as the offense slugged its way to a four-run fourth highlighted by a three-run homer from Cron to make it 12-3 Minnesota.

Bullpen cools things down
The Tigers responded in the bottom of the fourth inning with a solo home run from John Hicks. Gibby handed over the game to the bullpen in the sixth inning and it couldn’t have been in better hands. Coming into this game with the most fWAR in baseball in the previous seven days (0.8), the Twins relievers took care of business. Tyler Duffey and Trevor May were simply lights-out, with Duffey coming up just short of an immaculate inning (nine strikes on ten pitches).

Sam Dyson allowed a solo homer to Ronny Rodriguez in the eighth inning before Sergio Romo closed the books in the ninth. Twins relievers combined for eight strikeouts, one more than the entire Tigers team. Eddie Rosario helped the cause with an RBI single in the eighth.

Postgame With Baldelli

Bullpen Usage Spreadsheet
Click here for a review of the number of pitches thrown by each member of the bullpen over the past five days.

Click here to view the article
  • glunn and nclahammer like this

#2 DannySD

DannySD

Elizabethton Twins

• 30 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

I know rosters are expanding, but do Duffey, May, Dyson, and Romo need to be protecting 12-4 leads against the worst team in baseball? 

• howeda7, h2oface, blindeke and 8 others like this

#3 by jiminy

by jiminy

• 193 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:22 PM

When you put it that way, I'm thinking, no?

Seriously, that is kind of odd.
  • bighat likes this

#4 Monticore

Monticore

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 105 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:31 PM

They're on target beating bad teams while Cleveland loses to Tampa. Be nice to see Rosario, Cruz, and Kepler all get 100 RBIS.
  • Dozier's Glorious Hair and bighat like this

#5 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 114 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:33 PM

Ladies & Gentlemen, meet Kyle Gibson, the man with an 8.1 million dollar arm and a 50 cent head.

Truly a talented pitcher who is, "all over the place."Somebody puh-leez call Annie Savoy to send this guy some garters.

Gotta take your victories where you can get 'em, though.Now 17 wins away from 100 with 28 games left.Magic number is 24.Pressure is shifting from chased to chaser.

• laloesch, wabene, the_brute_squad and 1 other like this

#6 ScooterDance

ScooterDance

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 226 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:58 PM

There’s only three teams in mlb who have a better home record than we have road record. We’re +5 games ahead of the second best road team. We’re closer to having a better road record than any team has a home record than we are to the second best road team.

Crazy.
  • brvama, Danchat, bighat and 1 other like this

#7 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,573 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:04 PM

There’s only three teams in mlb who have a better home record than we have road record. We’re +5 games ahead of the second best road team. We’re closer to having a better road record than any team has a home record than we are to the second best road team.

Crazy.

Well most likely the Twins would start the ALDS with 2 away games, so hopefully their trend of doing well on the road continues into October.

• h2oface and Danchat like this

#8 ScooterDance

ScooterDance

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 226 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:11 PM

Against Detroit?
  • ashbury and Platoon like this

#9 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 651 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:13 PM

Yesterday was Friday, August 30.It was the 134th game of the year putting the Twins 83% of the way through the season.The Twins hit 1 home run upping their record-breaking season total to 262 home runs.They are now only 6 home runs short of setting a new single-season MLB record.

Just a side note.I'll be leaving the country tomorrow and I have no idea what access I'll have to the internet.I'll try to keep doing daily updates on the home runs but between the seven hour time difference and the travel, I may miss a day or two over the next two weeks.

• SQUIRREL, USAFChief, glunn and 5 others like this

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:47 PM

I know rosters are expanding, but do Duffey, May, Dyson, and Romo need to be protecting 12-4 leads against the worst team in baseball? 

Rocco explained the situation- regarding the lack of availability of other pitchers- for why this happened in his post-game presser.

Edited by jokin, 30 August 2019 - 10:49 PM.

• h2oface likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#11 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 638 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 01:55 AM

Nice to keep this streak going. It's true that Berrios looked marginally better yesterday, but Gibson must have everyone scratching their heads.The bats and lots of sloppy play from the Tigers notched the win for Gibson. He should buy everyone a steak. That's 20 hits in 10 innings against inarguably the worst hitting team in baseball and he gets two Ws to boot. Maybe something is wrong with his mechanics as well?
  • h2oface, Danchat, mikelink45 and 4 others like this

#12 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,642 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:16 AM

With Cleveland’s loss, they have 27 games left and could finish with 106 wins. Twins would need 24 wins to get to 107, so the magic number is 24, with 28 to play.

If Cleveland goes 20-7 down the stretch, they finish with 99 wins. The Twins would need to go 17-11 to finish with 100 wins.

#13 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 968 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:09 AM

The easier schedule is paying dividends this weekend.

But things change over the next two weeks with Cleveland, Boston and Washington on tap.

Twins need to be challenged, especially the pitching, to be ready for playoffs.

But, like the idea of a cushion, hopefully 6 or 7 games in the loss column. Give Cleveland some pressure.

• mikelink45, Dman and bighat like this

#14 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,642 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:20 AM

69 points.

When looking at last night’s boxscore, that’s the difference between the Tigers highest OPS (Ronny Rodriguez; 715) and the Twins’ lowest OPS (Adrianza; 784, Castro; 788).

And I assume Garver and his 941 OPS will be in against the lefty today.
  • mikelink45 likes this

#15 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,061 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:55 AM

Yesterday was Friday, August 30.It was the 134th game of the year putting the Twins 83% of the way through the season.The Twins hit 1 home run upping their record-breaking season total to 262 home runs.They are now only 6 home runs short of setting a new single-season MLB record.

Just a side note.I'll be leaving the country tomorrow and I have no idea what access I'll have to the internet.I'll try to keep doing daily updates on the home runs but between the seven hour time difference and the travel, I may miss a day or two over the next two weeks.

Dude I have a sinking feeling the Twins are going to break the record when you're "out-of-office"...crazy timing, eh? Then again, if you're in a country where you're not sure about the Internet access, I'm guessing you're hitting up the Caribbean or Mexico or something. And so we can't feel toooo sorry for you.

#16 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,061 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:56 AM

The easier schedule is paying dividends this weekend.

But things change over the next two weeks with Cleveland, Boston and Washington on tap.

Twins need to be challenged, especially the pitching, to be ready for playoffs.

But, like the idea of a cushion, hopefully 6 or 7 games in the loss column. Give Cleveland some pressure.

A Rays sweep while the Twins sweep the Tigers (keeping fingers crossed) would be so gigantic. Right now I'd even be happy if the Twins just won their next two games, regardless of what Cleveland does. Would love to see that lead grow to 6-7 as the Twins enter the next 1.5 weeks of the schedule.

#17 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:57 AM

Here's the Pitch for last night's game. I talk about why I don't want to see this battery anymore, the bullpen usage and more.

• SQUIRREL, h2oface and Aerodeliria like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#18 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 651 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:28 AM

Dude I have a sinking feeling the Twins are going to break the record when you're "out-of-office"...crazy timing, eh? Then again, if you're in a country where you're not sure about the Internet access, I'm guessing you're hitting up the Caribbean or Mexico or something. And so we can't feel toooo sorry for you.

More like hitting up the Jamison's distillery and the Guinness brewery.
  • ashbury, Don Walcott and bighat like this

#19 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,734 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:53 AM

Gibson is 9-9 with a 5.37 ERA in his career vs. the Tigers (21 starts). b4 last night-he is what he is-NOT GOOD

#20 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Ft Myers Miracle

• 331 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:41 AM

More like hitting up the Jamison's distillery and the Guinness brewery.

Yeah, seven hour time difference pretty much eliminates Mexico and the Caribbean.

• bighat likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, jorge polanco, max kepler, tyler duffey, trevor may