Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/29): Break Out the Brooms on the South Side

jose berrios c.j. cron jorge polanco nelson cruz jake cave
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 609 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:43 AM

Jose Berrios is certainly pointed back in the right direction, but there are still some red flags from today's outing. More on that here:

Chicago looks to me like a fairly free-wheeling bunch of hitters, so they swung at many pitches out of the strike zone. The good thing is that he did get 15 out of 25 first pitch strikes; however, he still seems to be struggling a bit. When facing teams like the Yankees, everyone on this list knows that they will be very, very patient getting the counts in their favor. I hope that by playoff time he is able to get that strike percentage a bit higher and get that fastball back up a couple of ticks.

• glunn and Original Whizzinator like this

#22 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 609 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 01:42 AM

PS-I know the score was 9-2 at that point and this is likely considered a pointless beef, but Cruz was safe on that deep ground ball down the third baseline...

Edited by Aerodeliria, 30 August 2019 - 01:43 AM.

• blindeke likes this

#23 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 05:28 AM

Ever since the Reusse retweet I have been wondering...how concerned should we be that a whole corner of the zone is untouched by Berrios?

Yeah, I found it really strange that it was completely empty -- didn't go there against righties or lefties. It seems like this would have been the perfect opportunity for him to experiment with working at the top of the zone more, but that's just not his thing, I guess.

I'm sure he's just trying to tunnel his fastball and curveball, which is a good thing, but it's too predictable. Hitters can basically eliminate the entire top half of the zone. You'd have to imagine he'd benefit from mixing things up, but a lot of pitchers are like this and like to live at the bottom of the zone. Not too many Jake Odorizzi's out there.

• VivaBomboRivera! likes this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#24 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 467 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 05:57 AM

The 2019 Twins have hit 261 home runs so far this season. That ranks them 3rd on the all-time list of most home runs by a team in a season (and yes - it is still only August!!!).

Next ahead of them on the list are the 1997 Mariners who hit 264.

Also, the Twins are 11 ahead of the Yankees this season and still have 2 games in hand.

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#25 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,024 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 30 August 2019 - 06:18 AM

Jose Berrios with a quality start! Great news, right? "Nah, it's against the White Sox".

Bullpen throws 3 shutout innings against same White Sox: "Bullpen is good now! Tyler Duffey is better than Aroldis Chapman, why isn't anyone talking about him!??!"

Hmmmm.

I think Berrios did fine. Might be a sign of improvement, dude got a much needed win and hopefully this is the start of him turning the corner. You have to be encouraged.

#26 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 371 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:06 AM

Indians won't go away so Twins needed all 3 of these games. Now on to Detroit while Indians play Tampa so maybe pick up a game or 2. Maybe a 5 game lead when the run of games against Red Sox, Nationals and 6 against those Indians begins.

#27 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:05 PM

All they need to do is add Graterol to the 40-man roster by September to make him eligible for the postseason.

Hmmm....

Dobnak went 53 pitches today. Logical to "send down" to Rochester in order to bring Brusdar up before Aug. 31, thus making the latter eligible for the playoffs? 

Do I have that right?

("Send down" is in quotes since I wouldn't bother to buy a ticket, since he can come back Sunday when rosters expand.)

(If so, let's make the Brusdar debut on Sunday, since I'm seven rows behind the Twins dugout in Detroit that day.)

Seems to be a lot of confusion over what the rules are for playoff roster eligibility. Anyone got a link to the actual rule that we can refer to?

Also, my understanding is that a player can't be optioned out now and then immediately brought up on 9/1. Even after the AAA season is over, there's a 10 day wait before he can be recalled. Thus, for example, if Dobnak is "sent down" now, he couldn't pitch for the Twins for 10 days. Seems silly to do that unless you REALLY need his 25-man spot Friday or Saturday.

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#28 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:12 PM

Disregard my question above, I found what I was looking for.

The applicable language Per MLB 

Any player who is on the 40-man roster or 60-day injured list as of 11:59 p.m. ET on Aug. 31 is eligible for the postseason.

A player who doesn't meet said criteria for postseason eligibility can still be added to a team's roster in the postseason via petition to the Commissioner's Office if the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing someone who is on the injured list and has served the minimum amount of time required for activation. (For example, a player on the 10-day injured list who has been on it for at least 10 days, or a player who has been on the 60-day injured list for at least 60 days.) Players who are acquired in September or after are ineligible.

So, no need to play games with Graterol or anyone else currently in the organization. If a guy isn't on the 40-man on September 1, I'm sure someone will have an "impingement" of some kind that will allow a replacement.

• 70charger and Weave like this
Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#29 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,616 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 30 August 2019 - 01:04 PM

Seems silly to do that unless you REALLY need his 25-man spot Friday or Saturday.

Conversely, unless he is viewed as someone special, there will be no shortage of guys to cover for him as of Sept 1 and provide equivalent production, if you really want that roster spot for someone fresh.

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, c.j. cron, jorge polanco, nelson cruz, jake cave