Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Minor League Report (8/27): Ober Continues Domination

bailey ober trey cabbage zander wiel luis rijo luke raley
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,604 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:54 AM

I'm guessing it's part to do with the Giants' slow process, and part to do with his funky delivery and wondering if it would play at the top level.

"Tyler! Stop messing around on the mound! Get into the video room, and watch that tape I gave you of how your brother does it. Yes, I know you're tired of hearing that."

• jud6312 likes this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

I agree, with that said I think Ober could benefit from pitching in the Bigs to increase his innings for the year. He’s healthy now so allowing him to continue pitching into September would be good. If not that then he should be a lock for the AFL, since he’s healthy enough to increase his innings from last year.

I've been surprised maybe a couple of times by call ups, but Ober isn't getting called up... but I agree.. AFL would make sense.

#23 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 514 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:54 AM

Scouting consensus was that Cavaco was extremely raw and a reach at #13. Score one for the consensus. IMO, not all first-round draft picks should immediately be considered highly-ranked prospects. Cavaco is the poster-child for this argument.

He was a late riser, but no one really considered him that much of a reach. MLB.com had him at 28 on their pre-draft rankings with a 50 overall grade. Their 18th prospect was the highest ranked 50 FV, to give some reference. Fangraphs had him at 22 on their draft board with a 45 FV. Langliers was their highest ranked 45 FV, coming in at 14.

He was a consensus first round talent. I’m not sure where your information is coming from.
  • birdwatcher, Dman and gagu like this

#24 spycake

spycake

• 16,775 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:09 AM

Has anyone laid eyes on Keoni Cavaco to see what he’s struggling with? I don’t get too excited one way or the other with GCL results, especially with a first year kid, but a .470 OPS is still a little surprising. I’d expect to see the raw talent flash at least a little.

Actually, the OPS doesn't concern me so much as the K%. A low OPS can be due to a low BABIP and/or a lack of SLG (which would be perfectly normal for a 18 year old).

But Cavaco's got a fairly normal .275 BABIP, and a high 38% K rate.

Still, pro debut, less than 100 PA. He might be one little adjustment away from knocking down that K rate significantly, who knows. With perhaps further adjustments/growth for power down the line.

• Dman likes this

#25 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,168 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:16 AM

I had no idea about Taylor having a twin. That photo of him with Tyler is hilarious.

Tyler has had good numbers in the minors but the Giants have been curiously slow about promoting him to the majors. Doubly odd given that they have a genetic match to go by, who is succeeding at the major league level.

I recall reading an article awhile back that described Tyler's injury history necessitating a change to his current sidearm delivery. His delay is probably related to the injury and subsequent adjustment.

• ashbury likes this

#26 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,168 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:24 AM

Ober has to be a sleeper pick to make the Twins out of spring training next year, right? They'll have their eyes on him for sure after the numbers he's put up this year.

What kind of pitcher is he?

Fangraphs doesn't currently rank Ober among the Twin's first 42 prospects, which means they probably have him at a 35FV grade or lower. This no doubt will change soon.

• gagu likes this

#27 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,010 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:31 AM

Tyler and Taylor will be circling May 4-6 next season, provided they both stay healthy and Tyler makes the cut.I don't thing Taylor has to worry about making the cut, being a top 5 reliever in all of baseball.

#28 big dog

big dog

• 3,041 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:23 AM

I had no idea about Taylor having a twin. That photo of him with Tyler is hilarious.

Tyler has had good numbers in the minors but the Giants have been curiously slow about promoting him to the majors. Doubly odd given that they have a genetic match to go by, who is succeeding at the major league level.

Ozzie Canseco shares your disbelief
  • ashbury and railmarshalljon like this

#29 Kevin

Kevin

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:47 AM

Cedar Rapids - Peoria score is backwards.

Fixed.--ed.

#30 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,593 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:26 PM

I've been surprised maybe a couple of times by call ups, but Ober isn't getting called up... but I agree.. AFL would make sense.

I mean, I agree with you that it would be incredibly surprising to see him called up, but.... why not? Obviously we've got some 40-man implications, but for a second let's just ignore those.

Ober has never not dominated. Never. The only thing is, he can't stay healthy. Maybe he's injury prone, maybe he's just been really unlucky, but right now, he's healthy. Once someone is making a joke of AA, then for me, it's time to try them out in the majors.

Maybe the guy's body has 1000 good innings in it. Then let's get as many of those 1000 at the major league level as possible

#31 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,593 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:01 PM

Only ONE TIME has Ober given up more than 1 run in a game this year. Not even just earned runs.... any kind of runs.

July 14th must haunt him. 3 whole earned runs :D

#32 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,483 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:17 PM

He was a late riser, but no one really considered him that much of a reach. MLB.com had him at 28 on their pre-draft rankings with a 50 overall grade. Their 18th prospect was the highest ranked 50 FV, to give some reference. Fangraphs had him at 22 on their draft board with a 45 FV. Langliers was their highest ranked 45 FV, coming in at 14.
He was a consensus first round talent. I’m not sure where your information is coming from.

You are aware he was drafted 13th overall, right? Earlier than the most optimistic service you cite. He’s a high ceiling low floor guy who arrived late on the national scene. And there’s more projection than even for a typically high-schooler based on his late birth date. Did I say he was a horrendous reach? Maybe better to say he was a high-risk pick, picked when lower-risk options are typically still available.

#33 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,520 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:32 PM

You are aware he was drafted 13th overall, right? Earlier than the most optimistic service you cite. He’s a high ceiling low floor guy who arrived late on the national scene. And there’s more projection than even for a typically high-schooler based on his late birth date. Did I say he was a horrendous reach? Maybe better to say he was a high-risk pick, picked when lower-risk options are typically still available.

On the other hand, if that’s the guy you want and he wasn’t expected to be available at your next pick, then there’s a case to just take him regardless if it’s at 13th instead of hoping he makes it back around.
  • jkcarew likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#34 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 514 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:48 PM

You’re splitting hairs. The consensus was that he was a first round talent. Whether he’s 22nd or 13th isn’t all that meaningful, because players taken in that tier tend to be valued very close together.

#35 Twinky

Twinky

Elizabethton Twins

• 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:20 PM

I don't know that that is true. Prospect rankings, especially for younger players have very little, if anything, to do with on-field production. It's all about tools and talent. Cavaco's loaded with tools and talent, so he should be a highly-ranked prospect... Not a Top 100. I mean, he's only like #6 or #7 among Twins prospects.

My question would be “why did the local MLB team, who clearly had the ability to scout this kid 7 days a week, pass on him when they snagged another SS with the #6 pick? Because the kid they drafted can actually hit. Cavaco played his HS ball in a notoriously weak league in San Diego, and never played in the more highly competitive club events. When he did play in Jupiter, it wasn’t a good showing. So much emphasis on tools, not enough emphasis on the fact that he really isn’t a gamer, he’s a showcase player. Big difference. Compare how the other HS 1st rd picks performed in their rookie season, and it’s clear to see that MLB for some reason drank the Kool Aid on this kid, and the Twins got stuck with the tab!

#36 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:37 PM

My question would be “why did the local MLB team, who clearly had the ability to scout this kid 7 days a week, pass on him when they snagged another SS with the #6 pick? Because the kid they drafted can actually hit. Cavaco played his HS ball in a notoriously weak league in San Diego, and never played in the more highly competitive club events. When he did play in Jupiter, it wasn’t a good showing. So much emphasis on tools, not enough emphasis on the fact that he really isn’t a gamer, he’s a showcase player. Big difference. Compare how the other HS 1st rd picks performed in their rookie season, and it’s clear to see that MLB for some reason drank the Kool Aid on this kid, and the Twins got stuck with the tab!

That all may be true... but I'll give him 2-3 years, maybe even 3-5 years before giving up on him. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bailey ober, trey cabbage, zander wiel, luis rijo, luke raley