Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ White Sox 5:10 PM PST (7:10 PM CDT) 8/27/2019

game thread twins white sox hawt taeks
  • Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#1 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,137 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:10 PM

SSO1 was nice enough to come up with some idea for me to crib from, I mean, tossed out as a challenge to use as game thread material.

Not one to lightly cast aside ideas for game threads, much like a 10 year old me scrambling for the returnable pop bottle that would be used to buy Tops trading cards, I grabbed that list and set it aside as the treasure it is.  

In looking at the list, it's hard to decide if I should go in the order the ideas, I mean, challenges, as listed or should I start with the easiest one first?

See archived game thread here for list of ideas: http://twinsdaily.co...edt-8242019-ad/

I oughtthay bemay igpay atinlay ouldway be unfay. Utbay, I ecidedbay to ivegay athay deaia up.

Then, I looked at the IpRay AnVay InkleWay idea and thought, neato! Imagine, you've been Twins fan these last few years but, for some reason, took a 9 month long snooze after the Twins tanked in ought 18 and then woke up to find out the Twins are in first place, are leading the league in bombas! (though you wonder what, exactly, a "bomba" is) 

You rush out, buy a jersey, and have the name, "Rip Van Twinkie" embroidered on the back, because, hey, Twins fan, and you've slept a long time. Might as well celebrate!

Then, SSO1 mentions "Daves Top 10" being a rejected idea. To which I reply, "Challenge Accepted!"

1. Seventies rock bands: Rare Earth or Grand Funk Railroad?

2. Motown: Gladys Knight and the Pips or The Four Tops?

3: Iconic Sixties movie: The Magnificent 7 or Bullitt?

4: Iconic Seventies movie: MASH or Kelly's Heroes?

5: Iconic baseball player of the sixties: Killebrew or Koufax?

6: Iconic car of the sixties: Charger, Mustang or Camaro?

7: Iconic personality of the sixties: Paul Harvey or Rod Serling?

And with that, Lineups:

*: Play ball!

• stringer bell, Oldgoat_MN and operation mindcrime like this

#2 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,797 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

What is with the normal lefty line-up against Giolito? Does he have reverse splits?

#3 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,137 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:14 PM

Dsiclaimer: The author in no way is implying he lacks the ability to count to 10. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, and the hassle of removing shoes and socks in order to verify the list count, the list only goes up to, umm, carry the 2, subtract the 5 and multiply by 3.142, 8. 

Thank you and remember, only you can prevent math in game threads!

-Mathematically challenged united.

Edited by Blake, 27 August 2019 - 04:17 PM.

• Oldgoat_MN, Sconnie and twinssporto like this

#4 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,487 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:27 PM

Huge game tonight. Let's go Twins!!!!!

#5 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,268 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:36 PM

What is with the normal lefty line-up against Giolito? Does he have reverse splits?

As a matter of fact, he does. Lefthanded batters have a .526 OPS, while righties come in at .735. Also, Giolito has been much more effective on the road than at home. Finally, he pitches better in day games than night games. We have a righty heavy lineup facing Giolito in Chicago, at night and SQUIRREL will be there. The game is in the bag!

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, Blake and 2 others like this

#6 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,820 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:37 PM

I guess Kepler can’t play every, single day, but that outfield without both Buxton and Kepler ...

I’ll do my best to bring my rally powers to the field tonight! :)
  • Blake, Puckett34 and Bomba2026 like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#7 rkevin

rkevin

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 67 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:41 PM

Giolito will stifle the bats again but only for a few innings. I llke Sano to produce big tonight...he likes Chi-Town. A few other guys step up the at-bats too and secure a 6-4 victory. :) 

• Circus Boy, FlauerPauer and Bomba2026 like this

#8 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,638 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:00 PM

As a matter of fact, he does. Lefthanded batters have a .526 OPS, while righties come in at .735. Also, Giolito has been much more effective on the road than at home. Finally, he pitches better in day games than night games. We have a righty heavy lineup facing Giolito in Chicago, at night and SQUIRREL will be there. The game is in the bag!

So will Jorge and Marwin bat right?

Dave’s top tens are supposed to start with 10 and count down....
  • Sconnie likes this

#9 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,355 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:22 PM

FWIW, it looks like all games are free tonight on MLB.TV, so if you live outside of the Twins and White Sox exclusion regions you can watch without a subscription.

• rkevin likes this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#10 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 265 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:44 PM

No Kepler?? I hope we can hit this pitcher...I think he is good and has a great future, but even good pitchers get beat....Twins need to finish August with all wins and Do not make us release the Squirrel haha. It's in a cat carrier....Go Twins!

#11 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,470 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:50 PM

No Kepler?? I hope we can hit this pitcher...I think he is good and has a great future, but even good pitchers get beat....Twins need to finish August with all wins and Do not make us release the Squirrel haha. It's in a cat carrier....Go Twins!

Apparently just a rest day for Kepler, which is odd coming after an off day and he has success against Giolito.6/16 lifetime against him.

• Oldgoat_MN and Bomba2026 like this

#12 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,734 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:58 PM

Apparently just a rest day for Kepler, which is odd coming after an off day and he has success against Giolito.6/16 lifetime against him.

YES and Cave is1-11 strange

• Oldgoat_MN, SF Twins Fan and Bomba2026 like this

#13 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,487 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:00 PM

I'm ok with Kepler getting two days off. He can always pinch hit if needed.

#14 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,945 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:00 PM

Get a load of this one:I was looking at MLBTradeRumors and noticed that the Giants called up a right-handed pitcher by the name of Tyler Rogers.

It just so happens that he is the twin brother of Taylor Rogers.

Be honest now, how many of you knew Taylor had a twin, much less a twin who is a professional ball player?

I think the front office needs to whip up another trade with the Giants over the winter to get Tyler back together with his brother.

Think of the marketing possibilities!!!

Edited by VATwinsFan, 27 August 2019 - 06:00 PM.

• Blake, Oldgoat_MN, SwainZag and 2 others like this

#15 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,347 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:01 PM

Get a load of this one:I was looking at MLBTradeRumors and noticed that the Giants called up a right-handed pitcher by the name of Tyler Rogers.

Be honest now, how many of you knew Taylor had a twin, much less a twin who is a professional ball player?

I think the front office needs to whip up another trade with the Giants over the winter to get Tyler back together with his brother.

raises hand.

• Blake and SF Twins Fan like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#16 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,268 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:04 PM

Just saw that announcement on mlb Trade Rumors. Two Twins have had their brother make "the show"--Cron and Rogers--kinda cool!

• Blake likes this

#17 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,347 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:04 PM

1. Seventies rock bands: Grand Funk Railroad

2. Motown:The Four Tops

3: Iconic Sixties movie: The Magnificent 7

4: Iconic Seventies movie: MASH

5: Iconic baseball player of the sixties: Killebrew

6: Iconic car of the sixties: Pinto

7: Iconic personality of the sixties: uh...me.

• Blake, ScrapTheNickname, FlauerPauer and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#18 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,567 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:06 PM

I am SSO1 (i think) and i approve of this Game Thread intro. (if for no other reason than i didn't have to write anything)

I gotta return credit on pig-latin suggestion to you though, oh Grand Poobah.

Society of Poobahs is a secret Fraggle Society, who have few pig-latin varients: oopidad and rufflefluff, if memory serves.
I was thinking of that when i suggested pig latin.
  • Blake and rkevin like this

#19 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,820 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:07 PM

The squirrel is free, here and ready to run! Rally Twins, rally!
  • Blake and Bomba2026 like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#20 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,812 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:08 PM

Grand Funk. For their groovy version of Loco-motion.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game thread, twins, white sox, hawt taeks