Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: The Hazy Future of Fernando Romero

fernando romero
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,466 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:29 PM

Pressley feels like a troll.. but he was neither a prospect or a rental and certainly not at peak value. His peripherals screamed closer and we traded him as an underperforming overused set up guy.

Diaz was a fringe prospect if a prospect at all. But possibly

Davis might be the most popular player in San Fran, and he's not even there yet. I'm guessing they could trade him this winter and get more than Dyson back. I don't think prospect lists can ignore his progress. In short, he's not at peak value.

Hu was traded at peak value I guess.

Anyway, I think to get something back, you have to be willing to give something. But if the guys we traded at "peak value" increase their value after we trade them, I think you're missing my point. Let's hold on to the Pressleys and maybe a Davis and trade the Arcias, Jays, Stewarts, and Gordons.

A reclamation project who can't be optioned has almost no value in MLB to anyone but a bottom barrel team who won't want to trade prospects.

Easy to say in hindsight.There was plenty of talk to trade Polonco, Kepler, Berrios, Buxton etc... 2-3-4 years ago too.It's easy to point out the guys that flamed out and ignore the ones who kept getting better.  

• Danchat likes this

#42 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,764 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:48 PM

Imagine three years ago what the Twins could have gotten for a Romero, Gonzo, Jay and Stewart package.

Hence why I am almost always for trading prospects for proven players.

THIS in nearly every single case.I think this organization has failed to view prospects properly.That narrative Terry Ryan used to spew about "mortgaging the future" was, is and always shall be a crock.If there is an area of weakness and a trade can be made for a pre-arbitration major league player then how in the world is that "mortgaging the future"?

• Tomj14 likes this

#43 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,150 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:57 PM

Pressley feels like a troll.. but he was neither a prospect or a rental and certainly not at peak value. His peripherals screamed closer and we traded him as an underperforming overused set up guy.

Diaz was a fringe prospect if a prospect at all. But possibly

Davis might be the most popular player in San Fran, and he's not even there yet. I'm guessing they could trade him this winter and get more than Dyson back. I don't think prospect lists can ignore his progress. In short, he's not at peak value.

Hu was traded at peak value I guess.

Anyway, I think to get something back, you have to be willing to give something. But if the guys we traded at "peak value" increase their value after we trade them, I think you're missing my point. Let's hold on to the Pressleys and maybe a Davis and trade the Arcias, Jays, Stewarts, and Gordons.

A reclamation project who can't be optioned has almost no value in MLB to anyone but a bottom barrel team who won't want to trade prospects.

Yeah, Diaz and Davis were traded at peak value, I’d say. Going back further, the Twins sold high on Jermaine Palacios when they shipped him out for Odorizzi. Palacios’ stock has plummeted since the trade, as he’s been stuck in the .500 OPS range for two years now.
  • Jham likes this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#44 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:20 PM

Twins did to Romero what they did to May, only they screwed him up BEFORE he got to the bigs. Trade him for some other team's sputtering prospect pitcher. There are lots of them around. You'll have all winter to decide. Romero needs a change of scenery, a chance to reset his pitching career in another organization with different coaching. Best organization for a guy like Romero would probably be the Rays. 

I wish more teams had the integrity to admit when they've screwed up a player. How many careers are floundering for that reason? 

Edited by jimbo92107, 28 August 2019 - 02:22 PM.

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#45 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,466 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:53 PM

Twins did to Romero what they did to May, only they screwed him up BEFORE he got to the bigs. Trade him for some other team's sputtering prospect pitcher. There are lots of them around. You'll have all winter to decide. Romero needs a change of scenery, a chance to reset his pitching career in another organization with different coaching. Best organization for a guy like Romero would probably be the Rays. 

I wish more teams had the integrity to admit when they've screwed up a player. How many careers are floundering for that reason? 

What exactly did the Twins do? Move him to the bullpen?I don't get the blaming the team.Did Romero forget his control because he is coming out of the pen?A good pitcher will be able to get hitters out either way.  

• SQUIRREL, USAFChief, Twins33 and 2 others like this

#46 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,822 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:15 PM

What exactly did the Twins do? Move him to the bullpen? I don't get the blaming the team. Did Romero forget his control because he is coming out of the pen? A good pitcher will be able to get hitters out either way.

I agree he should be able to get hitters out either way. Seems like the new pitching coach messed with his mechanics to cause this loss in control. I don't know how else to explain the increase from 3 BB/9 to 5 BB/9 in 2018 to 2019.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fernando romero