Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Delmon Young: Detroit's Mr. October?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 840 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...it-s-Mr-October

#2 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

Delmon Young launched a solo homer in Tuesday's win over the Yankees.

He got the scoring started in the fourth with blast into the left-field bullpen before Miguel Cabrera plated what turned out to be the winning run with an RBI double in the fifth. Young also had a longball in Game 1, driving in three runs in that contest. He now has seven homers in two postseasons for the Tigers, which is a franchise record.

#3 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

I'll never forget the 2009 ALDS when Delmon came up in extra innings with the game tied, bases loaded, and nobody out. He swung and the first pitch and smoked a line right at Tex. A little higher and to the right, and that's a bases-clearing double. <sigh>

So it was a painful on some level when he smoked that ball to Swisher in extras in game 1, and Swisher did his best Delmon Young imitation in the field on it.

#4 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

I love how this will convince some team to overpay for him this off-season.

#5 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

he sure has been money for the tigers in the playoffs. who would have thunk it?

#6 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

I'm happy for DY. He has had a pretty miserable season. I hoped that the "fresh start" in Detroit last year would be good for him -- and thought that hitting behind Miggy and Prince would be a great thing.

But he has pretty much disappointed all year -- first with the abominable episode in New York and then with overall mediocre play.

I still root for him and consistently checked how he was doing this season so I'm glad to see him having a pretty good post-season so far.

P.S. Delmon, you need to stop going through the buffet line with Prince.

#7 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

I can honestly say I am not happy for Delmon, the guy was a nightmare as a player, a complete and utter waste of a talent and even a worse person (he assaulted an ump, then went on an anti-Semitic rant in NYC) I will never root for him to succeed and hope he ends up miserable after his playing days, because he deserves it.

I will however laugh at the team that decides to give him 4-5 mil guaranteed next year for 90 OPS+ while playing DH. The guy literally hit behind 2 of the best 5 or 6 hitters in all of baseball this year and only managed to post a .707 OPS, that is hilariously awful.

#8 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

Delmon Young: Detroit's Mr. October?

Obviously the media (MVP voters?) think so. ALCS MVP.

As I said the summer of 2011, Delmon Young was the big winner in the Twins-Tigers trade.

#9 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Delmon barely managed a .700 OPS in his 600 regular season plate appearances and put up a negative wins above replacement player value despite being paid 12 times the salary of a replacement player. Same old Delmon. More slug than a slugger. Just got Adam Kennedy-kind-of-lucky in the ALCS.

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

I cheer for Delmon Young like I cheer for a crack addict to turn his life around.. Delmon I hope you learn to care and that is the extent of my Delmon interest.

If he's run out of basball that would be OK with me. He isn't a Twin because of Who he is!!! He was Given away because of who he is!!!

One of the reasons we are where we are is because of who he is!!!