Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Game Thread: Twins vs. Tigers 12:10 MST (1:10 PM CDT) 8/25/2019

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#1 obtusebanter

obtusebanter

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 129 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:31 AM

It was the June of 1994 and our local lads, the Twins, ripped off 11 wins in 14 games to become briefly relevant in the newly created AL Central after playing .500 ball through the Spring. It was a momentous time. O.J. Simpson was soon to captivate the nation in his white Bronco, our great nation hosted the World Cup for the very first time, and Ken Griffey Jr. was on track to make Babe Ruth a #2.

This tale, on the other hand, can only be appreciated by a true Twins degenerate. I shall now regale you all with the story of Jeff Reboulet and Chip Hale swinging some hot bats. It all started innocuously enough on June 4th when Hale came on in relief of the sturdy Pat Meares in the midst of a 21-7 drubbing of the AL East celler dwelling Detroit Tigers and went 2 for 2 with a home run. Chip stayed hot and collected a pair of pinch hits for David McCarty and Pat Meares (once again) bringing us to the 10th of June where the story heats up. 

On this day, White Sox ace Jack McDowell had dominated the Twins’ lineup through eight innings and came out for 9th to finish off what he had started with a comfortable 6-1 lead. Unfortunately for Black Jack, Chip Hale came on to pinch hit for Pat Meares for a third time in a week. Hale promptly lined a double to the gap and the floodgates were open. Shane Mack capped off the five run 9th with a three-run shot right off Roberto Hernandez, Dave Stevens pitched 1-2-3 10th, and the stage was set for Jeff Reboulet to enter the scene. Namely, he hit an infield single to second and scored the winning run on an Alex Cole walkoff dinger.

Reboulet stayed hot. He got the start at SS the next day as Kevin Tapani twirled a shutout. More importantly, Rebs went 3 for 3. As it now stands, Chip Hale had gotten hits in five consecutive at-bats while his benchmate Jeff Reboulet had done so in 4 straight at-bats. Would it continue?

You already know it did!TK moved that bat up the 2-hole as Reboulet spelled Scott Leius at 3B and rewarded his manager’s faith with three more knocks running his streak of consecutive hits to 7. Alas, the gods of BABIP intervened in the bottom of the 7th and Reboulet grounded out to short. 

On to the 13th of June.A truly wretched Jim Deshaies was set to 'duel' surefire HOFer Roger Clemens. Things did not look good for the boys from Up North. However, Tom Kelly must have known he was dealing with matters of the arcane and wisely batted Chip Hale 7th and Jeff Reboulet 9th. The payoff was immense. Chip Hale smacked three singles eclipsing Jeff Reboulet’s seven straight hits with eight of his own. Not to be outdone, Reboulet contributed another three hits (including a double down the right field line that drove in the 4th and final run served up by Clemens) to conclude a sure to be satisfying 10 for 11 stint at the plate. Deshaies pitched six innings of 2-run ball and picked up the victory.  

There you have it. The forgotten tale of a couple Twins utility players who got real hot for a week shortly before baseball went on strike.

Anyway. The lineups:

Twins Lineup.jpg

Tigers: TBA

Edited by obtusebanter, 25 August 2019 - 09:35 AM.

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, USAFChief and 10 others like this

#2 obtusebanter

obtusebanter

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 129 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:35 AM

I waited on them Tigers to post their lineup but I gotta get to church. Can someone post it when it is available?

• SQUIRREL, Blake and operation mindcrime like this

#3 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,126 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:06 AM

I waited on them Tigers to post their lineup but I gotta get to church. Can someone post it when it is available?

Yep. Peace be with you.
  • operation mindcrime and obtusebanter like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#4 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,126 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:08 AM

Tigers lineup:

Victor Reyes(S) LF
Harold Castro(L) CF
Travis Demeritte(R ) RF
Ronny Rodriguez( R) DH
Dawel Lugo( R) 3B
Willi Castro(S) SS
Jordy Mercer( R) 1B
John Hicks( R) C
Gordon Beckham( R) 2B

Matthew Boyd(L) P
  • Blake likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#5 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,044 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:24 AM

Big game today. Hopefully the Twins jump on Boyd early and often. Go Twins!

• ashbury likes this

#6 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

there can be...

• 8,368 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:32 AM

Fantastic intro.

Wish i'd been paying closer attention in those days...
  • ashbury, Blake and obtusebanter like this

#7 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,060 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:40 AM

Great intro!
  • ashbury, Blake and obtusebanter like this

#8 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,574 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

Great intro.Another note about that year.I often tout Shane Mack on here. In his 5 year Twins career he had a higher OPSthan Kirby Puckett. Of course he did not have the same impact Puckett did but he was really really good and I always thought he was at least as deserving of the Twins HOF as many guys in there.When the strike shortened the season and ended Mack's Twins career, Mack was hitting .333 with a .966 OPS.  

• ashbury, USAFChief, birdwatcher and 2 others like this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#9 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,413 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:24 AM

I would like to see Sano get more reps at first. He's an upgrade over Cron offensively and it would allow Arraez or Gonzo to play 3rd while keeping the main outfield of Rosario, Buxton, and Kepler in tact. 

Edited by MNT1996, 25 August 2019 - 11:24 AM.

• mrtwinsfan likes this

#10 rkevin

rkevin

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 56 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

Twins bring the A game today! Us fans need to see it but more importantly the players need to play it.

• ashbury, operation mindcrime and FlauerPauer like this

#11 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 109 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:41 AM

Please tell me they are not wearing those hideous white costumes today....what is their purpose? Did a psychic tell them to wear these? Go Twins beat DTW. Please.

#12 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,057 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:46 AM

2-0 KC bottom 2.
  • ashbury, Danchat, FlauerPauer and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#13 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Ft Myers Miracle

• 329 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:52 AM

the one with the bushes

#14 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,044 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:16 PM

3-2 KC bottom 3rd

• ashbury, bighat and Nine of twelve like this

#15 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 2,800 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:17 PM

3-2 KC bottom 3rd

Just saw that. Against Bieber no less.

• ashbury likes this

#16 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 109 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:18 PM

Help me someone, why did the Twins change their uniforms? Kepler looks like a ghost!

#17 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,044 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:19 PM

Help me someone, why did the Twins change their uniforms? Kepler looks like a ghost!

Player's Weekend unis

#18 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 2,800 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:19 PM

They've been wearing them all weekend, as has the rest of the league. "Players' Weekend" attire. Much maligned going by early feedback from players and fans.

#19 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,044 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

Perez showing solid command so far. Needs to keep hitting his spots if he wants to be successful.

#20 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,409 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:22 PM

The uniforms are mandated by MLB. The Cubs got reprimanded for not wearing the white caps. Based on what I've read the Spy-vs-Spy color scheme will never happen again.

• glunn and Bomba2026 like this