Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Joe Girardi: Then & Now

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Joe Girardi quotes:

2009 after Yankees benefit from Phil Cuzzi brain fart vs. Joe Mauer and the Twins: "If you were to start to Instant Replay all these plays, I think it would break the rhythm of the game." (thanks 1500ESPN's Phil Mackey via Twitter)

2012 after being ejected by Jeff Nelson who missed a call at 2B: “[I]n this day and age when we have instant replay available to us, it’s got to change. These guys are under tremendous amounts of pressure. It’s a tough call for [Nelson] because the tag was underneath and it’s hard for him to see. And it takes more time to argue and get upset than you get the call right.” Later he would add, “I’ve been thrown out of games enough to know it would be quicker to get the call right or wrong or right on replay than for me to go out there and argue. And they talk about the flow of the game… It takes 30 seconds.” (from SI.com)

Hmmmm... I wonder why Girardi feels differently today than he did three years ago. Probably just older and wiser, right? Can't imagine what else it could be.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#2 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

It's because this time it's Girardi's ox that's being gored.

#3 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

Jim Caple gets it. But from what I've seen, he's just about the only national writer who does.

http://espn.go.com/m...top-complaining
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#4 MWLFan

MWLFan

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

I admire Girardi for the ability to see that his view of things may not have always been to most correct. I am sure when soemone mentions this to him he will say that he was wro..he was wroooooo..that He was wroooo...that the person asking him the question is a idiot and doesn't understand the game because they never played it in the major leagues. (That last one was so much easier fpr him to say.)

#5 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

The comments under this ESPN article are a hoot. The Yankee fans are calling Caple a whiner, a Yankee hater, and a "bitter Red Sox fan".

Actually, I think Caple wrote this article because he is a Twins fan (read his previous stuff, he is almost always pro-Twins) and wants to rile up the Yankee fanbase by putting the truth in their face.

#6 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

Phil Cuzzi is from NJ.

Jeff Nelson is from MN.

Karma.

#7 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

The comments under this ESPN article are a hoot. The Yankee fans are calling Caple a whiner, a Yankee hater, and a "bitter Red Sox fan".

Actually, I think Caple wrote this article because he is a Twins fan (read his previous stuff, he is almost always pro-Twins) and wants to rile up the Yankee fanbase by putting the truth in their face.

LOL, did you comment by any chance. I just did, pointed out Girardi's hypocrisy:p