Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/24): Sano 3-Run Bomba, Bullpen Boost Twins to Victory

miguel sano jake cave max kepler kyle gibson taylor rogers
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 97 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:39 AM

A healthy, disciplined Sano is a great Sano...

Fixed yer post.

;-)

• birdwatcher, Dantes929, puckstopper1 and 3 others like this

#22 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,817 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:26 AM

Our home town heroes are guaranteed to win the division by going 31-2 for the rest of the season. With Buxton apparently coming back on Tuesday, that should be doable, right?
  • D.C Twins likes this

#23 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• 928 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:43 AM

Sano doesn’t get near enough credit for what he’s doing this year, IMO. You almost never hear about him, and he’s been mashing.
He has the second highest hard hit rate in the MLB (thus, the highest on the team - and ahead of Cruz in second by 3%). He average home run goes 14 ft farther than Aaron Judge and average overall batted ball distance is 24 ft farther than Judge. His average exit velocity is slightly lower than Judge, but if you look closer it’s because Judge has the edge in hard hit ground balls. Miguel has better velocity numbers on fly balls and line drives, which is clearly preferable. He has two full point in barrel per batter ball rate than Judge (21.5 to 19.5%).
There are plenty of arguments to be made for Sano being the best pure power hitter in the game right now. When you take a step back and realize he’s only 25 years old right now (two years younger than Judge), it’s pretty darn impressive.
The fact that most people had already written this guy off makes the story even better. We’re seeing one of the best hitters in Twins history play right now and many don’t even realize it (were actually seeing 2 or 3 with Cruz and Kepler).

Nice post. This is why I keep coming back, somebody has a thought and takes the time to look up some stats and put together a post that gives us all a deeper appreciation for the game. It's not just this post but others even in this short thread. Between this site and and an unnamed podcast following the Twins as the only ball fan in my house has been enriched.
  • SQUIRREL and birdwatcher like this

#24 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,606 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:48 AM

Nice come-back win, but is anyone else worried that the Twins only have one reliable starter right now (Pineada)?

Odorizzi has a 2.82 ERA in August. Sometimes you have to look beyond the numbers.Odo's last start he gave up 4 runs (3 earned) and those runs resulted from bleeders and happenstance.Berrios just gave up runs and those were a result of really hard hit balls and luckily avoiding other big innings. Right now my confidence level is Odorizzi, Pineda, Gibson, Perez and Berrios.That ranking won't be changedby me in the next 5 days but probably will in the next 10.At different times I have read here that Pineda, Sano, Cave, May and Duffey were AAAA or should be DFA'd and that Berrios was our only reliable starter. Stay tuned. Next 10 days will have a different story.One of the story lines is Buxton.How do you sit Cave when he has been this hot?How do you sit Rosario or Kepler?.Do you lengthen Buxton's rehab assignment if they all continue to play well? 

• birdwatcher and Original Whizzinator like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#25 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,100 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:51 AM

Odorizzi has a 2.82 ERA in August. Sometimes you have to look beyond the numbers. Odo's last start he gave up 4 runs (3 earned) and those runs resulted from bleeders and happenstance. Berrios just gave up runs and those were a result of really hard hit balls and luckily avoiding other big innings. Right now my confidence level is Odorizzi, Pineda, Gibson, Perez and Berrios. That ranking won't be changed by me in the next 5 days but probably will in the next 10. At different times I have read here that Pineda, Sano, Cave, May and Duffey were AAAA or should be DFA'd and that Berrios was our only reliable starter. Stay tuned. Next 10 days will have a different story. One of the story lines is Buxton. How do you sit Cave when he has been this hot? How do you sit Rosario or Kepler? . Do you lengthen Buxton's rehab assignment if they all continue to play well?

you can keep both Cave and Kepler in the lineup by playing Kepler at 1st.

Although as you note, keeping Cave in the lineup probably isnt a long term goal.

And for me, all of that comes second to getting a healthy Buxton back into CF. I dont lengthen Buxtons IL stint for anyone.
  • birdwatcher, Dantes929, wsnydes and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#26 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,606 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:51 AM

Our home town heroes are guaranteed to win the division by going 31-2 for the rest of the season. With Buxton apparently coming back on Tuesday, that should be doable, right?

Tuesday for rehab Tuesday, not to the Twins so if we assume a 10 game rehab I think 21-2 from that point is what you would be looking at which I think would be enough and more realistic.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#27 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:53 AM

Some more thoughts on the pitching performance and how things line up for today's game:

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#28 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,100 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:58 AM

Tuesday for rehab Tuesday, not to the Twins so if we assume a 10 game rehab I think 21-2 from that point is what you would be looking at which I think would be enough and more realistic.

The story at MLB.com suggests Buxton could be back as soon as Tuesday in Chicago, barring any setback.

I strongly doubt anything like 10 days.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#29 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,426 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:04 AM

Although as you note, keeping Cave in the lineup probably isnt a long term goal.

And for me, all of that comes second to getting a healthy Buxton back into CF. I dont lengthen Buxtons IL stint for anyone.

Kepler has played 4 innings of 1B in his career, I know he can play there, but thinking he is going to probably isn't going to happen in the stretch run when you have Cron, Sano, Adrianza and Marwin who have all played there this season.  

Unless Rosario is up and running full speed and moving in the OF like he should, keep running Cave out there IMO.

#30 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,317 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:06 AM

The story at MLB.com suggests Buxton could be back as soon as Tuesday in Chicago, barring any setback.

I strongly doubt anything like 10 days.

Yep, and further, last night's minor league report said Buxton was starting rehab today in Cedar Rapids.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#31 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,606 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:29 AM

I hadn't thought about Kepler at 1st. I really like it when facing right handers, then give one of the three lefties a break when facing a lefty.Cave .825 OPS against righties.Cron .810 against lefties.I like platooning when it makes sense. 3 day rehab seems really short after a month off but Buxton is my favorite player so I will be happy to see him back.Thanks for the correction though. I read the wrong feed.

• USAFChief likes this

#32 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 464 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:51 AM

Odorizzi has a 2.82 ERA in August. Sometimes you have to look beyond the numbers.Odo's last start he gave up 4 runs (3 earned) and those runs resulted from bleeders and happenstance. 

Dantes:

I agree with you that sometimes you have to looks beyond the numbers. I feel Odorizzi's August ERA is misleading. One number that is jumping out to me is that Odo has only pitched 6 innings ONCE in his last 10 starts. Any starter that needs 3+ bullpen innings is not reliable IMO

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#33 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,426 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:59 AM

Dantes:

I agree with you that sometimes you have to looks beyond the numbers. I feel Odorizzi's August ERA is misleading. One number that is jumping out to me is that Odo has only pitched 6 innings ONCE in his last 10 starts. Any starter that needs 3+ bullpen innings is not reliable IMO

Getting 2 ER ball out of 5+ innings of a starter IS valuable though.I think all of us would like it if Jake could save a few pitches during his outings and go 7 everytime out, but sometimes you just gotta take what you can get.  

• puckstopper1 likes this

#34 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 464 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:22 PM

Getting 2 ER ball out of 5+ innings of a starter IS valuable though.I think all of us would like it if Jake could save a few pitches during his outings and go 7 everytime out, but sometimes you just gotta take what you can get.  

Yup - and Odo has provided 2 ER ball with 5 or more innings as a starter 4 times over his last 12 starts.

Hard to quantify that as reliable.

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, jake cave, max kepler, kyle gibson, taylor rogers