Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/23): Berríos, Bullpen Can’t Hold Baseball’s Worst Offense

jose berrios jake cave sergio romo miguel sano ryne harper
  • Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:58 PM

Or, "I don't currently like Stroman".

http://twinsdaily.co...e-6#entry883029

#82 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,100 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:09 PM

Or, "I don't currently like Stroman".

http://twinsdaily.co...e-6#entry883029

brock...I didn't bring up Stroman. You did.

I agreed with a post that said an additional starter would make it easier to rest Berrios. Which is 100 percent true, not to mention another option should they manage to hold onto this ALC lead and make it to a division series.

And after you brought up Falvines "frustration" I said they obviously made a low ball offer. Which they HAD to have made. If they were indeed frustrated, THEY must have liked Stroman, no?

And Thats a lot more important than whether I like him. And I DONT like Stroman, which has nothing to do with wishing the Twins had had the courage to acquire a good starter at the deadline.

Given my drothers, that WOULDNT have been Stroman. I would have liked to see them have the backbone to get Syndergaard. It could have been done, I think. Maybe Greinke. Robbie Ray. Gallen was traded from Miami. I dont know who, but it's not like anyone was asking for the impossible. They supposedly have money, and everyone tells me how strong and deep the farm is. Use it.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#83 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:17 PM

brock...I didn't bring up Stroman. You did.

I agreed with a post that said an additional starter would make it easier to rest Berrios. Which is 100 percent true, not to mention another option should they manage to hold onto this ALC lead and make it to a division series.

And after you brought up Falvines "frustration" I said they obviously made a low ball offer. Which they HAD to have made. If they were indeed frustrated, THEY must have liked Stroman, no?

And Thats a lot more important than whether I like him. And I DONT like Stroman, which has nothing to do with wishing the Twins had had the courage to acquire a good starter at the deadline.

So then what stater that was traded would actually have done that?

Because now we’re dealing in pitchers who weren’t actually traded, which makes even less sense than the pitchers who were traded and you didn’t like.

#84 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,100 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:25 PM

So then what stater that was traded would actually have done that?

Because now we’re dealing in pitchers who weren’t actually traded, which makes even less sense than the pitchers who were traded and you didn’t like.

I mentioned 4 in the part of my post you left off.

And again, just because someone wasnt traded, doesnt mean the Twins couldn't have acquired him.

Which is the crux of the situation. Falvine refused to pay the asking price. For starters who WERE traded, and starters who werent. They CHOSE not to add a starter. It was a conscious decision.

Let's hope they survive that decision.

Final thought: the whole "frustrated" by Toronto thing sticks in my craw. Read up on what went into Houston acquiring Verlander. And Greinke. The Houston front office didn't make a call, and then sit back and wait for Detroit to get back to them, or AZ this year. Both of those deals were complicated, tough, and went down to the last minute. But Houston decided they wanted to make those deals happen, and through dogged perseverance and a refusal to give up, found a way to make them both.

What they didn't do was make a half hearted offer and then wait for a call back, and then get a media lapdog to report how frustrated they were.
  • howeda7 and D.C Twins like this

#85 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,998 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:14 AM

Of course, I have no idea what it's like in the room but it doesn't take a lot of imagination to assume fairly safely that it has be somewhat chaotic. 

I agree with Brock because of free will, takes two to tango. No matter who the Twins are calling, they are most likely holding out for more, while taking phone calls from others and holding out for more while knowing that they have the clock for leverage.  

The front office obviously had to know that the team needed a boost on the mound. Hopefully they had to know the need was a significant boost. To suggest that they low-balled, actually suggests a certain ineptness or failure to recognize the need they had.

There are no signs of them being passive in their small sample size of acquisitions, like Terry Ryan was (in my opinion).

So, if they know the need was somewhat acute (they had to... right?) and we can assume that there were probably more buyers than sellers. and in hindsight, like Brock suggests, there were a lot of players simply not traded when a lot of teams were shopping. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the prices must have been way too high. 

However, Chief... I'll throw you a bone with a suspicion, that throws a little water on what I just typed. 

The players they did acquire... Romo and Dyson. Both have personal histories with the decision makers. Romo with Baldelli (Rays) and Dyson with Lavine (Rangers). It probably means nothing but it does a present a whiff of... I don't know... Cautiousness? 

Diaz and Davis were pretty good hitting prospects that they gave up. It's enough for me to wonder, if they were willing to pay the price with a little familiarity in the product. 

I hope not. 

• D.C Twins likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#86 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,100 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:42 AM

Of course, I have no idea what it's like in the room but it doesn't take a lot of imagination to assume fairly safely that it has be somewhat chaotic.

I agree with Brock because of free will, takes two to tango. No matter who the Twins are calling, they are most likely holding out for more, while taking phone calls from others and holding out for more while knowing that they have the clock for leverage.

The front office obviously had to know that the team needed a boost on the mound. Hopefully they had to know the need was a significant boost. To suggest that they low-balled, actually suggests a certain ineptness or failure to recognize the need they had.

They basically admitted to lowballing Toronto when they said they were frustrated they didn't get the chance to up their offer...to beat an offer by the Mets that almost everyone, including Brock, has said was surprisingly low.

Unless you believe the Twins offered more, and Toronto decided to take the lesser offer.

Falvine can't have been frustrated unless they made a low offer to begin with.
  • D.C Twins likes this

#87 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,307 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:03 AM

It is their job to make the team better, not Chief's. They acted just like the last regime, trading meh prospects away, but keeping the best ones.

The exact opposite of Houston. So, yes, exactly what many of us said would happen. The window is wide open, and they added two ok relief pitchers.

But at least they didn't spend money on Keuchel, or top prospects on anyone. So the window can open again, only to allow them to do the same thing again and again.
  • D.C Twins likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#88 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,998 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:40 AM

They basically admitted to lowballing Toronto when they said they were frustrated they didn't get the chance to up their offer...to beat an offer by the Mets that almost everyone, including Brock, has said was surprisingly low.

Unless you believe the Twins offered more, and Toronto decided to take the lesser offer.

Falvine can't have been frustrated unless they made a low offer to begin with.

I have no idea what happened... but tell me if you could imagine this following scenario to be at least possible. 

Twins are talking with the Blue Jays about Stroman. The Jays are asking for Kiriloff but haven't said no to what the Twins are asking the Jays to consider which is Duran plus Enlow. 

At the same time... Twins are also talking with the Mets about Syndergaard. The Mets are asking for Buxton. The Twins are offering Kiriloff and Duran and the Mets like those players but want Graterol added to the deal and The Twins ask if that would get the deal done. The Mets reply with that sounds good but I'm still talking with the Padres so give Buxton some more thought because that will get the deal done.  

The Padres really want Syndergaard and they think they are offering a fair package, that is similar to what the Twins are offering... let say Renfroe and Gore. The Mets are asking for Tatis and hoping either the Padres or Twins cave. 

Meanwhile the Blue Jays are sticking with asking for Kiriloff but the Twins can't trade Kiriloff yet because Kiriloff is part of a package that the Mets are considering for Syndergaard and the Twins would rather have Syndergaard so trading for Stroman would kill the Syndergaard deal and they don't really want to give up Kiriloff if they don't have to. The Twins also can't commit to Duran to the Jays since he is part of the Sydergaard deal. So they tell the Blue Jays... do me a favor... give me a call back if you are close to making a deal... maybe we can sweeten this thing and they wait for a call from the Mets. 

Meanwhile... A scout in the Blue Jays system really likes a couple pitchers in the Mets system and convinces the Jays GM that it would be a good exchange for Stroman. The Jays run their reports and they feel that it's an equal value to the Twins Duran/Enlow offer. The Jays call the Twins again and ask for Kiriloff and the Twins need to hear back from the Mets. So the Blue Jays call the Mets and ask if they would trade Kay and Woods-Richardson for Stroman. 

The Mets think about it and agree. It was the Blue Jays offer so the agreement is in place.  

The Mets after receiving Stroman decide that the rotation is looking promising for 2020 and pull Syndergaard off the table. 

The Twins finally get a chance to talk with the Blue Jays after it's all over and say... I told you I could sweeten the deal if you called back. 

I'm sure it happened differently but is a scenario like that possible? 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#89 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:15 PM

I've been saying all year ... the Twins have an easy schedule down the stretch but they have to take these games seriously.

If the Twins think they can coast through these divisional games to close out the season and still outpace Cleveland, they somehow have not been paying attention to the only division they have ever been in for the past couple of decades.

If the Twins show up and do what they do, they'll finish well. If they think these games will all be automatic wins and they don't have to put in the work, they are mistaken.

To me this seems like a good time for the pitchers to work on getting smarter and to start playing defense....

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, jake cave, sergio romo, miguel sano, ryne harper