Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/23): Berríos, Bullpen Can’t Hold Baseball’s Worst Offense

jose berrios jake cave sergio romo miguel sano ryne harper
  • Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• 373 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:09 AM

As often happens to guys with gimmicky approach it seems the league has figured out Harper. Guys without great stuff can find success for a while if they have an unusual pitch mix, but once opposing scouts find their weaknesses it can go bad in a hurry. I'm afraid the Harper isn't fooling anyone anymore.

• tarheeltwinsfan, David HK, howieramone2 and 3 others like this

#22 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 747 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:38 AM

The homestand where the Twins were going to make hay while the sun was shining has taken off to a 1-3 thud. When do they push the panic button on Berrios and make some tweaks?
  • David HK, bighat and 3balls2strikes like this

#23 Richard Swerdlick

Richard Swerdlick

Elizabethton Twins

• 27 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:03 AM

I maintain that Berrios is worn out and needs a 10 IL reprise. His velocity is not as good as it was earlier in the year. Maybe they should focus on him becoming a 5 inning pitcher like Odo and just throw 94-95 instead of 91-93.

His command is off too. He was lucky to get out of the first 2 innings with no runs given up. He is giving up way too many hits.

As for Harper, I think he should be sent down for the rest of the year. It was fun while it lasted for him this year. 

• Danchat, tarheeltwinsfan, David HK and 2 others like this

#24 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,185 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:48 AM

To Whom it May Concern,

We are getting loose.....very loose....just thought you aught to know....We are not the experts, but we think we need more Pitching, Staring this off season.

Love,

Your Hubcaps

The wheels on the bus go round and round.

• D.C Twins likes this

#25 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,185 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:54 AM

An unacceptable loss. Put Berrios on the IL and release Harper. Get Littell and Smeltzer up. And get Arreaz into the lead-off spot and Kepler to 4th immediately. Thsi should be a no-brainer. 

What he said.

• LA VIkes Fan, David HK and 3balls2strikes like this

#26 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 2,883 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:12 AM

I do honestly feel bad for the fans that have been going to the games at Target Field. Watching the game on my TV from Bismarck and being disappointed is a little bit different from a fan spending good money at the ballpark and not seeing decent baseball for a very long stretch. 

That's one way to look at it....but I think many people would enjoy being outside on a Friday night in downtown Minneapolis at a ballgame, rather than on a couch in Bismark, ND. Not knocking your living room, just saying sometimes there's more to it. I went to one game last year. Twins lost to KC and Aaron Slegers was pitching. Overall it was bad baseball, but I still remember the night fondly.

• ashbury, 70charger, SwainZag and 1 other like this

#27 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 2,883 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:13 AM

As often happens to guys with gimmicky approach it seems the league has figured out Harper. Guys without great stuff can find success for a while if they have an unusual pitch mix, but once opposing scouts find their weaknesses it can go bad in a hurry. I'm afraid the Harper isn't fooling anyone anymore.

Bingo. Harper's the 2019 version of Trevor Hildenberger.

• David HK, D.C Twins and 3balls2strikes like this

#28 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,294 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:16 AM

Does Rocco ask rhetorical questions, and then answer them? Why yes. Yes he does.

• USAFChief, Riverbrian, spycake and 5 others like this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#29 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 2,883 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:19 AM

Does anyone else kind of have the feeling this year that the fun that we are supposed to be having in a pennant race is just not there? I don't know. It just isn't as fun as it supposed to be this year. I guess it has a lot to do with poor defense and bad baseball. I'm the kind of fan that likes to see my team play a nice crisp game. Doesn't it seem like we have had very few crisp, solid games this year? I know I enjoyed the teams in the 2000s a whole lot more even with far less homers. 

I think the reason this isn't fun is because the Twins once held such a huge lead. Twins were 11.5 games ahead and cruising. The lead is now 2 games, and the Twins are dropping series at home to Chicago and Detroit. They're on the brink of what would be a historic collapse. They had a chance to go get starting pitching help at the deadline and didn't do it. The pitching staff is giving up 8-9 runs per game regularly while Cleveland inches closer and wild card teams like Tampa and Oakland gain more ground.

For the teams chasing the Twins, this is fun. For Twins fans, its nervewracking and frustrating.

• 3balls2strikes and Bandit34 like this

#30 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 630 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:24 AM

Yesterday was Friday, August 23.It was the 128th game of the year putting the Twins 79% of the way through the season.The Twins hit 4 home runs upping their record-breaking season total to 248 home runs.They are now only 20 home runs short of setting a new single-season MLB record.

#31 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:33 AM

Welp, that wasn't fun. Here's some talk about the pitching. Topics include the decision to leave Berrios in, his pace, foul balls and a bullpen move that appeared wasteful after the fact. 

• glunn, h2oface, bighat and 2 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#32 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,294 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:35 AM

.....This is what happens when you hold on to your precious prospects too tight and not get Minor at the deadline.

Minor would not have pushed Berrios out of the starting rotation. Neither would Stroman, or whatever savior one was hoping to be acquired. So last night's game was not affected, whichever way that FO decision went. Why bring it up in a game recap?

Also, with regard to exactly when to pull Berrios last night, look at the spotty outcome from the bullpen when they did get brought in, and ask what difference it would have made in the game. It would have been different, because that's the nature of baseball, but it's not obvious that any choice would have resulted in a win.

Is Berrios tipping his pitches? What is Wes Johnson doing, and are his short-season college-ball tactics getting exposed during the long grind of a major league season? Those are questions I'd rather find answers to.

• SQUIRREL, Han Joelo, Blake and 7 others like this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#33 the_brute_squad

the_brute_squad

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 65 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:18 AM

"while sending their ace, José Berríos to the mound."

As I've been saying for the past month. He is not an ace. What Giolito did to us was "Ace" worthy. If you're an "Ace" you don't get rocked by the worstteam in MLB (could be one of the worst ever). Berrios needs to be shelved on the 10 day IL, miss a start, go take a vacation for a week. Do anything but place a ball in his tired body. He's obviously not built for the long run (as yet) so get him some time off. If they are waiting until September call ups it may be too late as this pennant run could come down to one meaningful August game.

• h2oface, David HK, D.C Twins and 2 others like this

#34 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• 453 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:29 AM

What can change to go on a September run? Shake something up
  • bighat likes this

#35 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,999 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:41 AM

A couple comments in this thread about "not having fun" or "enjoying this". 

I have no idea why anyone would feel this way. 

I'm having a blast. 

I remember last year. 

This is enjoyable. 

Bring on September. 

• Han Joelo, Blake, brvama and 8 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#36 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• 398 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:12 AM

I'm having a blast. 

I remember last year. 

This is enjoyable. 

Bring on September. 

Couldn't agree more.I was at the game last night on a gorgeous evening, and although disappointed in the result, thoroughly enjoyed watching this entertaining team.Yep, bring on September!

That said, can we please bring on September WITH Byron Buxton.I know his absence is not the only reason for our recent mediocre record, but I seem to notice something in almost every loss that would have been better with Buck in there.Last night it was the slicing double to right that Gonzo couldn't quite get to (don't get me wrong...I like Gonzo...but he's not Kep in RF)...I'm fairly certain Kepler would have caught that ball if he hadn't had to play center in Buck's absence.

The sample size is too big to ignore:

Twins with Buck in the lineup:56-25 (a .691 percentage...far and away the best in baseball)

Twins with Buck out:21-26

I still see this team as a contender if Byron can return.But without him, it will be a very short post-season.

• Riverbrian and howieramone2 like this

#37 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,999 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:26 AM

Couldn't agree more.I was at the game last night on a gorgeous evening, and although disappointed in the result, thoroughly enjoyed watching this entertaining team.Yep, bring on September!

That said, can we please bring on September WITH Byron Buxton.I know his absence is not the only reason for our recent mediocre record, but I seem to notice something in almost every loss that would have been better with Buck in there.Last night it was the slicing double to right that Gonzo couldn't quite get to (don't get me wrong...I like Gonzo...but he's not Kep in RF)...I'm fairly certain Kepler would have caught that ball if he hadn't had to play center in Buck's absence.

The sample size is too big to ignore:

Twins with Buck in the lineup:56-25 (a .691 percentage...far and away the best in baseball)

Twins with Buck out:21-26

I still see this team as a contender if Byron can return.But without him, it will be a very short post-season.

I agree with you about Buxton. He is special player and we are a better team with him in the lineup.

Although, the Winning percentage probably isn't as simple as "Buck In - Buck Out" because of the 24 other factors to consider with special emphasis on the decline of the pitching staff during that time. Could Buxton's defense be a factor as you point out... sometimes yes... but overall, this team has players in reserve who can perform. 

Besides... I think if you look around the league... Nearly every team is missing a key piece and finding ways around it... just like we are with Buck. 

Pitching is where my worried head spends its time.  

• brvama likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#38 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• 348 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:31 AM

I'm having a blast. 

I remember last year. 

This is enjoyable. 

Bring on September. 

Compared to some of the teams in the 2000s, no this is not fun. It's a root canal. Compared to last year or 2016? Okay I get what you mean. But those years were not pennant chase years either. I am referring more to the playoff push. Usually playoff pushes are exhilirating, this is embarrassing. 

• 3balls2strikes likes this

#39 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,590 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:31 AM

For all the times that they use the IL for starting pitchers it is bewildering to see Berrios struggle like this and them not give him some time off. I also think back to his early struggles when we were seeing a number of articles about him tipping his pitches. Is it possible that's happening again?

The number of pitchers that I feel comfortable with right now is way too low for a contending team.

I keep imagining how excruciating it was for the fans of the 1964 Phillies to watch their team slide out of contention slowly and painfully. I know we're still in first place and we have the bats of a first-place team. Just defense and pitching but has me on easy. I think your Berrios we're on top of this game I would be relaxed.

#40 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,717 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:38 AM

First, I agree with the poster that says Berrios needs a 10-day spot on the IL. Something is clearly wrong whether it's a tired arm, elbow issues, or maybe he's just tipping his pitches. In any event, get him on the IL now he can come back during the tough stretch in early September and give Thorpe or Smeltzer his next start. He only has to miss one because there's an off-day in there. Second, send Harper down and get Littel back up. Today. You can do it if you IL Berrios, Littel can be his injury replacement. Then, I would switch Arraez and Kepler in the batting order. Not only to do those things help the team, they send the right message: Our present play is unacceptable and we will make changes to win.
  • David HK and 3balls2strikes like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, jake cave, sergio romo, miguel sano, ryne harper