Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/21): Giolito Throws Complete Game as Sox Take Series

jake odorizzi lucas giolito sam dyson tyler duffey trevor may
  • Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,395 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:14 PM

btw, bonus baseball in New York. Indians and Mets tied at 2 after 9.

#22 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• 1,542 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:30 PM

Hand blows another save. 

• Bandit34 likes this

#23 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• 1,542 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:41 PM

Wowwwww Mets win, that's a heartbreaking loss for the Tribe. 

• DiscGolfer, bighat and Bandit34 like this

#24 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• 348 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:41 PM

Good job Mets!

• DiscGolfer and bighat like this

#25 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,100 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:42 PM

Carlos Santana sits on a change with 2 outs and 2 strikes in the top of the 10th, puts the Indians up 3-2. Really great AB.

Brad Hand comes in, gives up a leadoff double, followed by a sac bunt, followed by a DP ball to Santana at first, but they only get one, as nobody covers first base to comple the DP, game tied . Walk, single, Mets Mets Emm EEE TTT ESSS METS!!!!

• David HK, bighat and Bandit34 like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#26 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,998 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:51 PM

Giolito did exactly what an "Ace" is supposed to do. A rubber match and he took the ball and made sure the opposing team knew who was in control. The Twins do not have that pitcher.

Which teams have that guy(s):

Cleveland

Houston

LA

That's exactly why the Twins are still favored to win the division but the Indians are favored to advance further into the playoffs.

Does this only apply to "rubber matches?"  

I'm only asking because on July 25th. We lit Giolito up for 7 runs in his 5 innings, for what turned out to be a 10-3 Twins Win. 

I fully admit it was a 3 game series opener though.:)

• Jaykay and railmarshalljon like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#27 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,595 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:58 PM

Hand blows another save.

He has been pretty consistent in giving up late leads recently.
  • David HK and howieramone2 like this

#28 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,494 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:20 PM

Certainly, 2 of 3 or even a sweep to basically bury the Indians wasn’t too much to ask here.

Although, we did get the White Sox at an awful time. Nova and Giolito have been exceptional lately. We were “buzzsawed.”

Imagine the audacity of a manager letting a young fragile 25 year-old pitcher, with already 80 pitches after 7 and throwing a 2 hit shutout with only 8 Ks...... finish the game! What is he thinking, letting his young pitcher develop his stamina and have the opportunity to pitch a complete game and use 115 pitches, against a 1st place team? Can it possibly be worth it? I mean, does the confidence developed really mean anything? He will get a chance for a complete game shutout often, right?

Note: Our guy, Jose Berrios, pitching a 2 hit shutout with 11Ks, was pulled after 7 innings and 83 pitches against the last place Marlins. He has gotten shelled twice, and struggled the other outing, since. Can confidence really be a thing? 

• David HK and bighat like this

#29 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,390 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:27 PM

Kind of pathetic when we have to send a thank-you postcard to the Mets.

squirrel postcard

• h2oface, EPEZRider, MVP Nick Punto and 1 other like this

#30 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• 373 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:35 PM

For the first half of the season the Twins starters were very solid and the relievers were OK (good enough to hold big leads). In the middle of the season the starters saw a bit of a drop off but were still decent while the relievers had some major struggles with a good chunk of the bullpen getting released. Now in the home stretch, the starters are getting pounded and the bullpen is looking surprisingly capable. I'm very happy that the bullpen seems much improved, I just wish I had confidence that our rotation is going to be good enough to hold on to the Twins lead over Cleveland.

• stringer bell, LA VIkes Fan and David HK like this

#31 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 747 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:49 AM

It was a boring game to attend. Watching the other team's pitcher dominate is not fun in my book. I know we are supposed to be good baseball fans and carry on about how great pitching is more entertaining than good hitting. Maybe so and 1-0 pitcher's duel can be entertaining - that I agree with. Getting your doors blown off with no exciting plays is a drag. Oh well, a day at the ballpark is still better than being at the office.
  • ashbury, stringer bell and David HK like this

#32 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 97 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:02 AM

O faithless Squirrel!Thy perfidy!

• David HK likes this

#33 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,636 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:52 AM

They need to get Kepler out of the lead-off spot. The offense will always look great when the Bomba show is on, but when it's not you still need to manufacture runs. Put Arreaz in the lead-off spot and drop Kepler to 4th. 

• Cap'n Piranha, LA VIkes Fan, David HK and 2 others like this

#34 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 97 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:43 AM

They need to get Kepler out of the lead-off spot. The offense will always look great when the Bomba show is on, but when it's not you still need to manufacture runs. Put Arreaz in the lead-off spot and drop Kepler to 4th. 

As fantastic as Mad Max is, we are not getting the best we could from him in the number one spot.He swings at a good number of first balls.Often the results are gratifying but there are also a large number of leadoff outs that were never worked as opportunities to go deep in the count for walk (now 53 in 468 AB) as well as a hit. 

This shows up in his .334 OBP, 11th on the team behind names like Adrianza, Arraez, Cave and Polanco, players he could push around the base paths .

Kepler is second on team now in RBI (84) to Rosario (85).Imagine where that number might be if he was in the 3rd or 4th spot.How many of his 34 HR are solo shots? We are cheating ourselves.

Edited by VivaBomboRivera!, 22 August 2019 - 02:46 AM.

#35 MVP Nick Punto

MVP Nick Punto

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 560 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:23 AM

Actual footage of Giolito pitching to the Twins 20190821:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1457975707-oldpainless.gif
  • VivaBomboRivera! likes this

#36 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,426 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:46 AM

Imagine the audacity of a manager letting a young fragile 25 year-old pitcher, with already 80 pitches after 7 and throwing a 2 hit shutout with only 8 Ks...... finish the game! What is he thinking, letting his young pitcher develop his stamina and have the opportunity to pitch a complete game and use 115 pitches, against a 1st place team? Can it possibly be worth it? I mean, does the confidence developed really mean anything? He will get a chance for a complete game shutout often, right?

Note: Our guy, Jose Berrios, pitching a 2 hit shutout with 11Ks, was pulled after 7 innings and 83 pitches against the last place Marlins. He has gotten shelled twice, and struggled the other outing, since. Can confidence really be a thing? 

Twins were up 7-0 after 7 against one of the worst offenses in the league.Why try and overuse Berrios when they don't need to?A CGSO is nice, but in the long run, save that arm.  

• Cap'n Piranha, stringer bell, 70charger and 2 others like this

#37 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 97 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:52 AM

Actual footage of Giolito pitching to the Twins 20190821...

Gotta tip your cap to a pitching performance like that.Then you resolve to stick him next time.

The hard lesson from this game is that pitching (or lack thereof) is what most consistently wins games, more so late- and post-season.Our staff has to improve from "good" to "good enough."

• LA VIkes Fan likes this

#38 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 350 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:47 AM

At least the Twins improved in the RLISP category. No point in nit picking at this stage of the season. Just keep playing and see what happens. The Twins will finish where they are supposed to finish. I would like to see Marwin in the lineup more often. The time to keep everyone fresh is over. Play the best lineup every game. Say what you want but Twins played the best prior to Sano's return with Gonzales at third base. Jake got bad breaks in the first with routine grounders finding their way into the outfield and Schoop missing the bag. Wouldn't have made any difference but it did give Giolito early breathing room.

#39 KidBro

KidBro

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 93 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:24 AM

I don’t think the Twins will need to worry about a second starter in the playoffs.

Self Depriavation COL (chuckle out loud) 

#40 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 385 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:43 AM

The easier easy part of the schedule is coming. Just wait.

I think.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake odorizzi, lucas giolito, sam dyson, tyler duffey, trevor may