Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Thermostat Wars

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,619 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:58 PM

Whoever conducted this study lives on the surface of the sun... 82 degrees when you're sleeping? No way, no how.
  • diehardtwinsfan and PseudoSABR like this

#2 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,280 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:42 PM

Whoever conducted this study lives on the surface of the sun... 82 degrees when you're sleeping? No way, no how.

Mrs Ash swears by those settings. In winter.

• USAFChief likes this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#3 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,179 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:49 PM

Heh ... I'll have to dig up an article I read recently about thermostat wars at work. Women are more productive when it's warmer, men when it's colder. So ... how do you find the right compromise?

That said, yes, when you are out, keep it at whatever is energy saving (warmer in the summer, cooler in the winter), comfortable when you are awake and home, but I've always had it cooler when I'm sleeping. That said, unless it's really humid out, I don't close the windows and turn on the AC until it's above 80.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#4 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,370 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:09 PM

Lol, I don’t think my thermometer can even get that high!!

Does this person live in Finland?
  • ashbury and Vanimal46 like this

#5 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,280 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:12 PM

Lol, I don’t think my thermometer can even get that high!!

Switch to Kelvin, you'll be fine.

• twinsnorth49 likes this

#6 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,716 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:57 PM

Well it says right in the tweet that those settings are recommended for energy efficiency... not for comfort.

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,619 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

Well it says right in the tweet that those settings are recommended for energy efficiency... not for comfort.

True... I will not lose any sleep over not being energy efficient. I can sleep comfortably up to 75 degrees. Every degree after that is notably uncomfortable.
  • LaBombo likes this

#8 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,716 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

True... I will not lose any sleep over not being energy efficient. I can sleep comfortably up to 75 degrees. Every degree after that is notably uncomfortable.

I agree. I usually set it even cooler than that at night. Unless it's not humid.

But that really has nothing to do with the study cited.

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:40 PM

The recommended temp for energy efficiency is turning off your A/C unit entirely.

Now that we've agreed no one will do that, this study is pointless.

• diehardtwinsfan, Twins33, Doomtints and 1 other like this

#10 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,589 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:40 AM

Here is a slightly related question. What is the stance on “the air conditioner is on, please roll up your windows?” This has always been thing, but why can’t we do both, if we want to?

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,266 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:20 AM

My wife and I are quite the extremes, with me preferring much cooler in general and her preferring much warmer, so needless to say she's happy in the summer and I'm happy in the winter...

In winter - 68 when people are home and drop it down to 64 at night.

In summer 73. Tried going warming at night, but I'd wake up at 3 AM drenched in sweat and unable to fall back asleep. 

• Vanimal46 likes this

#12 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,179 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:49 AM

Here is a slightly related question. What is the stance on “the air conditioner is on, please roll up your windows?” This has always been thing, but why can’t we do both, if we want to?

Well, heh, I drive a convertible. There are times when I’ve turned on the AC or heat when the top is down.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#13 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,714 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

My wife and I are quite the extremes, with me preferring much cooler in general and her preferring much warmer, so needless to say she's happy in the summer and I'm happy in the winter...

In summer 73. Tried going warming at night, but I'd wake up at 3 AM drenched in sweat and unable to fall back asleep.

I'm like that in the winter but during the summer I will take it down to 70 at night and most of the time it automatically shuts off. I'll put it up to 75 during the day (keeping the blinds closed).

I have not been home since July 18th so I'm wondering what it's going to be like when I finally get home Sunday afternoon

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:18 AM

Those were my settings before a baby came along, at which point I bumped winter to 70 (and 64 while sleeping, it used to be 58). I hope to start pushing those back down now that she's turning two years old and can figure out how a frickin' blanket works.

#15 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,280 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:00 AM

Here's my dilemma: when someone says "turn up the air conditioning," are they too warm, or too chilly? Turn it up to 78 degrees, say, or crank it to 72 so it comes on?

#16 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,619 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:05 AM

Here's my dilemma: when someone says "turn up the air conditioning," are they too warm, or too chilly? Turn it up to 78 degrees, say, or crank it to 72 so it comes on?

If you were my dad he would turn it up to 78 for sure... #DadMove
  • ashbury likes this

#17 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,280 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:15 AM

If you were my dad he would turn it up to 78 for sure... #DadMove

If I were your dad... hoooo boy, so many punch lines, so little time.

• SQUIRREL and Vanimal46 like this

#18 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,179 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:48 PM

And right now, it's 75 deg with 70% humidity ... so the AC of off and the windows are wide open.

#19 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,630 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:24 AM

The correct answer is 66 year round.

• ashbury likes this

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,266 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:56 PM

The correct answer is 66 year round.

I'd be divorced if I did that (not that I disagree, my hotel is set to 65 the moment I walk in the door).