Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Rest Berrios

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 291 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:07 PM

I think he needs it. He is getting shelled right now. Velocity down on his FB, breaking stuff lacks bite, command suspect at times. Issuing more walks. 

I know we are in a division race right now and you want your best guys going, etc. But he just doesn't have it right now. I think skipping 1 or 2 starts for him right now might make a world of difference for him down the stretch. 

Also, he really isn't giving you the greatest chance to win right now anyways. 

Thoughts???

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#2 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,386 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:33 PM

This is simply one of the reasons why it was a major fail on the part of the FO to not add a starting pitcher. I’m not sure the Twins can afford to miss even a 70% effective Berrios because him at 70% is still better than Smeltzer or anyone other AAA call up. I’m not sure the Twins can’t afford to “give away” any games.
  • notoriousgod71 and Battle ur tail off like this

#3 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Well, this is fun!

• 1,937 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:53 PM

The potential benefit of giving Berrios even a short rest may very well outweigh the disadvantage we incur by skipping one of his starts. Several Twins pitchers have a decent chance to have a passable outing against the Royals.

I like your idea.

• Original Whizzinator and Battle ur tail off like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#4 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 291 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:31 PM

I just feel like if they go into the playoffs without Berrios at his very best, they have no chance. I'd rather they rest him now while they can and have him good and ready. 

Right now, he isn't giving them a great chance to win anyway. Now's the time to give him that time so he can come back and dominate again. 

• Oldgoat_MN, Kelly Vance and woolywoolhouse like this

#5 oldguywithanitch

oldguywithanitch

Elizabethton Twins

• 45 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:42 PM

I think it's a great idea. Give these minor leaguers a chance against the cellar dwellers. If they have a couple bad outings against the white sox and royals then we'll find out we might not be able to count on them next year.
  • Oldgoat_MN, Kelly Vance and Battle ur tail off like this

#6 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,726 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:43 PM

This is simply one of the reasons why it was a major fail on the part of the FO to not add a starting pitcher. I’m not sure the Twins can afford to miss even a 70% effective Berrios because him at 70% is still better than Smeltzer or anyone other AAA call up. I’m not sure the Twins can’t afford to “give away” any games.

He's given up 19 runs over his last three starts.
I'm confident they can find a AAA starter that can duplicate that for a start or two.
  • Oldgoat_MN, Danchat and Battle ur tail off like this

#7 gocgo

gocgo

• 1,504 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:51 PM

I think it makes sense.I know that they are working with his mechanics a bit, but if you are going to rest him, now is the time, but let's not assume that we win the next few games.We have to show up, play well, and if we manage to pull a little further away from the Tribe, then rest him a start.

• LA VIkes Fan likes this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#8 Thegrin

Thegrin

• 1,024 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:00 PM

If Berrios doesn't feel he needs a rest, then let him pitch on the 6th day.Let him have that extra day's rest and see what it does for him.:)

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,637 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:05 PM

If Berrios doesn't feel he needs a rest, then let him pitch on the 6th day.Let him have that extra day's rest and see what it does for him.:)

I'd strongly consider starting Smeltzer during one of the Tigers games to give everyone an extra day on top of the off-days.

And if he does well, maybe throw him out there a few more times in September. No reason not to use six starters if you have the firepower to do it with an expanded roster.

• nokomismod, markos, Danchat and 3 others like this

#10 darin617

darin617

• 1,387 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:18 PM

All of the starters should have got at least 1 "fake IR visit" in June or July. The Twins know how to maneuver a bullpen to have fresh arms, but they forget they need to give these starters some time off to rest.

I want these guys healthy for OCTOBER!

• Battle ur tail off likes this

#11 Twodogs

Twodogs

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 975 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:05 PM

I think the last few years Berrios has dropped off a bit at the end of the year. I could be wrong but that seems to resonate with me.Nonetheless, at this point though, the Twins need to throw their best out there against the Sox and Royals, because those games are must win games.The indians won all of their games agianst those teams.Now doing a 6 man rotation for a few weeks might work, because then at least you have your best guys going all of the time just has 6 days off instead of 5??

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#12 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 291 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

I don't feel like one extra day of rest will do much for him though. 

He needs a break is what I am thinking, his arm looks dead IMO. Look what happened to Dyson when they gave him time off. He came out throwing gas and his cutter/sinker is deadly now. 

Maybe I am wrong, but I think the Twins would be smart to at least consider it. Getting to the playoffs doesn't do much good if your ACE that throws game one is whoofing 90mph fastballs up there and hanging breaking balls.

#13 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 214 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:21 PM

I agree, 

10 day IL and then 6 man rotation for September.

I am fully confident that Twins win the division if they pick their rotation right to have the big dogs out against the Tribe.

Edited by Bill Brown69, 19 August 2019 - 04:21 PM.

• Kelly Vance likes this

#14 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,386 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:42 PM

He's given up 19 runs over his last three starts.
I'm confident they can find a AAA starter that can duplicate that for a start or two.

I’m not.

Smeltzer’s given up 9 runs in his last 8 IP.

#15 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,715 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:56 PM

I posted in another thread that now is the time to IL Berrios. With 2 off days coming up, he can only miss one turn and come back on 8/31 against Detroit.

I would start Thorpe for that turn. I think the league has figure Smeltzer out. 

#16 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,635 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:14 PM

The Berrios that showed up on Saturday and 3 starts ago against Atlanta is not better than Smeltzer or Thorpe. That said, yes the front office failed bigly in not getting Minor or Ray.

#17 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,386 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:16 PM

Thorpe has thrown 69 and 44 pitches in his last two outings and hasn’t pitched at all since the 13th.

Gonna be tough to get much more than 60-65 pitches from him which could be only 3-4 innings. Even if they bring Littell back up, that is going to tax the bullpen.

#18 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,386 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:18 PM

The Berrios that showed up on Saturday and 3 starts ago against Atlanta is not better than Smeltzer or Thorpe. That said, yes the front office failed bigly in not getting Minor or Ray.

I don’t agree with that. Smeltzer has been worse and Thorpe will only be able to go 4 innings IF he keeps his pitch count down. He hasn’t been over 70 in two weeks and hasn’t pitched at all in 7 days.

#19 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,635 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:22 PM

You can put Berrios on the IL and roll with 4 starters. He would be eligible to return 8/27. Gibson, Pineda, Odo against CWS. Perez, Gibson, Pineda against Detroit. Odo, Perez, Gibson against CWS. You woudn't need a 5th starter until 8/31.

• Danchat likes this

#20 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 4,945 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:31 PM

I'd strongly consider starting Smeltzer during one of the Tigers games to give everyone an extra day on top of the off-days.

And if he does well, maybe throw him out there a few more times in September. No reason not to use six starters if you have the firepower to do it with an expanded roster.

no reason you can’t do both.