Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: How Miguel Sano Turned His Season Around

miguel sano scouting james rowson
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• 380 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:01 PM

If you are looking for your next project, I'd be fascinated to see your take is on Royce Lewis' swing!

#22 Trov

Trov

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 181 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:40 AM

I was hoping last night he was going to come through, but can't do it every time.It has been very nice to see this change.Lets hope as pitchers adjust, he does as well.I think the biggest thing for Sano was he never failed in his life until getting to majors and then could not figure how to get out of it, despite being coached, but sometimes you need to let players fail their way before they are willing to do it your way.

• DocBauer likes this

#23 theJemmer

theJemmer

• 61 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:48 AM

The knuckle-alignment thing reminds me of teaching 8 year old girls how to grip the bat in fastpitch - gets the handle more in the fingers than the palm - which is more like a golf grip as well.As far as the hand movement goes I've always advocated for quiet hands prior to the swing.Get your hands where you want the swing to start from - and then relax until you launch.

Pretty much the opposite of Gary Sheffield - there's always exceptions!

#24 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 603 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:59 AM

Sano has basicly adopted Mauer's approach at the plate these days.

#25 brightside

brightside

Elizabethton Twins

• 18 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:34 PM

He needs to keep on the diet and he will be a force! If he regresses he will be Panda 2.0

#26 Crackedfungo

Crackedfungo

Elizabethton Twins

• 49 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:58 PM

I hope we are done hearing about how Sano is a declining talent.He is still learning to deal with not being able to rely on sheer ability and power to get out of his funk(s).He has clearly worked hard; to come in with a better 'baseball shape,' to be more discerning at the plate, to adapt/adjust to adversity and power through.I think that he must be very attentive to what has helped him renew expectations and his capabilities.I also would not diminish the work of Rowson, Baldelli, and the influence of Nelson Cruz.I think Cruz is the 'Inspirational MVP' of this team.He has clearly helped the entire team - and SANO.Brilliant move by FO.Now, sign him to a reasonable extension before his costs increase.Make it incentive laden.

#27 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,598 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:11 AM

Two things:

1] Rowson did work with him, as if he read Parker's breakdown here. It seems to have made a huge impact on timing and visualisation of pitches.

2] Smalley made a very obvious comment in tonight's game a lot of people forget about. Playing! 2018 was a wasted year. 2019 didn't start great and he may have been rushed, arguably. But with the adjustments made, and playing failing, thjs super talented and still only 26yo is developing.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#28 Jham

Jham

• 2,150 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:23 AM

In an RBI situation...hmmm...
First I'd go Arraez, because of bat control. He'll barrel it up almost every time.
Second I'd go Gonzo, for he is super hot right now.
Third I'd go Cruz, for he's a perfect blend of power and bat.
Fourth I'd go Sano, because he's got nightmare power, and his approach has improved immensely.

Sano has the potential to be the scariest bat in the lineup, but he's not quite done refining his approach. He still has trouble with high pitches, and I still see him flail at the low outside curve, tho nowhere near as much as a couple months ago. Taking walks has greatly improved his game.

If Sano continues to bash outside pitches oppo, and then learns to turn on inside stuff....ohboy. Meanwhile he could still get rid of more of that extraneous bat waggle, and keep working on quickening his hands. Short to it, long thru it. Like Garver, plus 50 pounds of muscle.

Doesn't Kep have our only walk offs?
  • jimbo92107 likes this

#29 Jham

Jham

• 2,150 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:38 AM

If Rowson gets a promotion. Parker needs a promo as well. Made the same suggestions back in June. Twins listened!

http://twinsdaily.co...his-swing-r7991

I think Sano left a lot of homers in the bud light roof deck earlier this year. Everything he pulled had either hard top spin or snap hook curve pulling the ball foul. His majestic shot the other night tracked the foul line and stayed fair. The "weaker" axe bat grip helps on that, if you would ask any golfer on curing a snap hook.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, scouting, james rowson