Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/18): Polanco Leads Twins Over Lynn in Texas

jorge polanco martin perez sergio romo taylor rogers
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,713 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:06 PM

It makes more sense to give him a break in September, as you can fill in with Thorpe, Smeltzer, or whomever and not worry about fiddling with the roster.

And no need for the IL in September.

I see that, although fiddling with the roster now avoids having to go to 7 man bullpen to squeeze Buxton on, assuming Cave goes when Cruz comes back. Now, if Buxton isn't coming back until after August 31, then either works. My main point is I think Berrios needs a breather and playing against Chicago and Detroit might be a good time.  

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#42 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,356 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

It's a good question. I wonder if his improved velocity (results notwithstanding) in the recent start against Texas convince them to forge ahead for now with the idea of resting him later if/when the opportunity arises or if the results continue to be poor? If he were to make all his remaining scheduled starts, his total innings workload wouldn't come in that much beyond the 192+ he had last year. And his next scheduled start lines up against Boyd in the opener of the Detroit series, unfortunately...kind of makes it less 'ideal' to start a rookie against Boyd. I would guess they are actively evaluating him and these options.

His IP figures to be about 5-10 more than 2018 if he makes 7 more starts and throws roughly 700 more pitches. That would also be 100 or so more than 2018.

It should be noted, he faded in August and September last year too. So, fatigue is certainly a concern.

#43 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

I see that, although fiddling with the roster now avoids having to go to 7 man bullpen to squeeze Buxton on, assuming Cave goes when Cruz comes back. Now, if Buxton isn't coming back until after August 31, then either works. My main point is I think Berrios needs a breather and playing against Chicago and Detroit might be a good time.

Buxton hasn’t even announced when he’ll rehab. The likelihood of him being back before September is pretty small, I think.

#44 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,356 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:28 PM

Buxton hasn’t even announced when he’ll rehab. The likelihood of him being back before September is pretty small, I think.

Do they have a place where he could rehab if the milb teams are all done when he is ready? Seems to me I recall that they play “simulated” games with shall we say flexible rosters in Florida pretty much all year.

#45 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:31 PM

Do they have a place where he could rehab if the milb teams are all done when he is ready? Seems to me I recall that they play “simulated” games with shall we say flexible rosters in Florida pretty much all year.

I think they have something in Ft Myers but I’m not sure.

#46 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:44 PM

Yup. "Instructional league" they call it. It's not an official minor league rehab assignment but it serves the same purpose.

Off the top of my head, I recall that Nolasco did it in September 2015, before being activated and pitching at the very end of the MLB season.

#47 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 579 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:47 PM

Keep rotating that pen! Ease up on the back to backs I think we've got the depth now to glide through this portion of the schedule with our boot on the tribe's neck. no I'm serious.

Well-said!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jorge polanco, martin perez, sergio romo, taylor rogers