Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/18): Polanco Leads Twins Over Lynn in Texas

jorge polanco martin perez sergio romo taylor rogers
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,713 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:24 PM

Keep rotating that pen! Ease up on the back to backs I think we've got the depth now to glide through this portion of the schedule with our boot on the tribe's neck. no I'm serious.

Picking up Dyson and Romo is starting to look like it will make a huge difference. Allies May and Duffy to be in fewer high leverage situations and gives us enough length to actually rotate relievers so people don't have to go back to back. Huge improvement in the BP. Now if we could only improve the rotation.....
  • SwainZag and Original Whizzinator like this

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:31 PM

Keep rotating that pen! Ease up on the back to backs I think we've got the depth now to glide through this portion of the schedule with our boot on the tribe's neck. no I'm serious.

Actually, I'm rather unconcerned with the pen at this point. With Dyson back in the mix, Rogers should get plenty of breathers (and his load has been pretty light for the past week+). My biggest questions going forward are:

1. Buxton? Will he be here in September and will he be the 2019 Buxton?

2. Berrios, Gibson, Odorizzi. What version will we get and is there anything Baldelli can do to relieve them a bit to make sure they're good going into October?

Sure, it's possible the Twins don't make October and that'd be a travesty. But the AL is pretty fierce this season. I'm only wondering if there's a way to start easing up on some of the starters who either haven't missed a start or have barely missed time and still remain competitive.

• Danchat, LA VIkes Fan, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#23 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,477 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:51 PM

There are signs of destiny (density?) in this 2019 Twins squad. They have a special mix of skilled veterans, talented youth, core strength, and very flexible position players. It has allowed Baldelli to make out a roster every game that looks competitive, if not dominant. I can't wait to see Astudillo get back and spell our two regular catchers, then stand in for Cron, then give Sano a break at 3B, etc. The Twins were tearing up the league when Astudillo was rotating around the infield. 

• Monkeypaws, DocBauer and David HK like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#24 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,236 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:54 PM

The next 13 games are against the White Sox and Tigers.

And there’s not a darn thing Cleveland can do about it. :)
  • PDX Twin, David HK, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 2 others like this

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:04 PM

There are signs of destiny (density?) in this 2019 Twins squad. They have a special mix of skilled veterans, talented youth, core strength, and very flexible position players. It has allowed Baldelli to make out a roster every game that looks competitive, if not dominant. I can't wait to see Astudillo get back and spell our two regular catchers, then stand in for Cron, then give Sano a break at 3B, etc. The Twins were tearing up the league when Astudillo was rotating around the infield. 

Astudillo won't be back before September because there's no space for him on the roster.

• bighat, Original Whizzinator, rdehring and 2 others like this

#26 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 932 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:06 AM

Full roster crunch has been circling this team since Arraez proved to be a player.

Buxton, Cruz, Astudillo are all on the verge of returning.

Cave can go down, maybe another reliever can go down, but after that, it's going to be a tough decision -- one that has playoff implications.

• DocBauer and 3balls2strikes like this

#27 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,715 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:32 AM

Full roster crunch has been circling this team since Arraez proved to be a player.

Cave can go down, maybe another reliever can go down, but after that, it's going to be a tough decision -- one that has playoff implications.

Buxton and Astudillo won't be back until September. Rosters are expanded then, so there won't be a crunch issue with them.
  • ashbury and bighat like this

#28 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,356 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:13 AM

Picking up Dyson and Romo is starting to look like it will make a huge difference. Allies May and Duffy to be in fewer high leverage situations and gives us enough length to actually rotate relievers so people don't have to go back to back. Huge improvement in the BP. Now if we could only improve the rotation.....

I’m still not really seeing much to like about Dyson. 4 appearances since coming off the DL. Allowed at least 2 baserunners in 2 of them. That’s called walking the tight rope over the precipice of disaster.
  • David HK likes this

#29 Jacks02

Jacks02

Elizabethton Twins

• 20 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:16 AM

What a great position to be in, and light years difference from last year's team.

No Logan Forsythe, Johnny Field, or Gregorio Petit getting playing time in September this year!

• SwainZag, Monkeypaws, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#30 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,412 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:58 AM

Cruz will be first one back and only move they can make is to send down pitcher #13.Then when Buxton is ready, assuming it is before 9/1, Cave goes down.Astudillo will be back on September 1, along with an assortment of pitchers.

#31 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 358 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:11 AM

Is it unrealistic to say the Twins need to go 10-3 over these next 13 games?

#32 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:29 AM

Is it unrealistic to say the Twins need to go 10-3 over these next 13 games?

Chicago isn't awful so that might be asking a bit much. 9-4 sounds good to me. 8-5 will enter dangerous territory. They need to win two out of three games for the next couple of weeks.

• SwainZag, LA VIkes Fan and Original Whizzinator like this

#33 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,586 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:30 AM

A four game sweep against a mediocre team on the road in a sweltering hellhole of a city.

I’ll take it.

Mediocre? Might be accurate. But there's been a lot of talk about the Twins, and other teams, and their records against .500 or better teams.

The Twins were on the road, in terrible heat, and playing a .500 team.

That team is now 4 games under .500.
  • Original Whizzinator likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#34 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,713 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:42 AM

Actually, I'm rather unconcerned with the pen at this point. With Dyson back in the mix, Rogers should get plenty of breathers (and his load has been pretty light for the past week+). My biggest questions going forward are:

1. Buxton? Will he be here in September and will he be the 2019 Buxton?

2. Berrios, Gibson, Odorizzi. What version will we get and is there anything Baldelli can do to relieve them a bit to make sure they're good going into October?

Sure, it's possible the Twins don't make October and that'd be a travesty. But the AL is pretty fierce this season. I'm only wondering if there's a way to start easing up on some of the starters who either haven't missed a start or have barely missed time and still remain competitive.

Does it make sense to 10 day IL Berrios? He's slumping and the rest might do him good. He would come back on 8/30 or 31 against the Tigers assuming we back date a IL stint to yesterday. He would only miss one start because of the off days 8/22 and 8/26 and Thorpe could start the one he misses against Detroit. He needs a break/reset IMHO and now would the time to give it to him. 

• nokomismod, Danchat, mickeymental and 4 others like this

#35 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,356 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:04 AM

Well.

Sam Dyson blows yet another save. Is it too soon to start calling it the SDE? (Yikes, that's too close to a very bad acronym indeed...)

Meanwhile, down on the farm:

Jaylin Davis:14 games for Sacto, 9 HR, 16 RBI, BA .404, OPS 1.462

Hm.

#36 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,406 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:11 AM

Does it make sense to 10 day IL Berrios? He's slumping and the rest might do him good. He would come back on 8/30 or 31 against the Tigers assuming we back date a IL stint to yesterday. He would only miss one start because of the off days 8/22 and 8/26 and Thorpe could start the one he misses against Detroit. He needs a break/reset IMHO and now would the time to give it to him. 

It's a good question. I wonder if his improved velocity (results notwithstanding) in the recent start against Texas convince them to forge ahead for now with the idea of resting him later if/when the opportunity arises or if the results continue to be poor? If he were to make all his remaining scheduled starts, his total innings workload wouldn't come in that much beyond the 192+ he had last year. And his next scheduled start lines up against Boyd in the opener of the Detroit series, unfortunately...kind of makes it less 'ideal' to start a rookie against Boyd. I would guess they are actively evaluating him and these options.

#37 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

It makes more sense to give him a break in September, as you can fill in with Thorpe, Smeltzer, or whomever and not worry about fiddling with the roster.

And no need for the IL in September.

#38 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,062 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:55 AM

It's a good question. I wonder if his improved velocity (results notwithstanding) in the recent start against Texas convince them to forge ahead for now with the idea of resting him later if/when the opportunity arises or if the results continue to be poor? If he were to make all his remaining scheduled starts, his total innings workload wouldn't come in that much beyond the 192+ he had last year. And his next scheduled start lines up against Boyd in the opener of the Detroit series, unfortunately...kind of makes it less 'ideal' to start a rookie against Boyd. I would guess they are actively evaluating him and these options.

Improved velocity??

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#39 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,084 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:02 AM

Well.

Sam Dyson blows yet another save. Is it too soon to start calling it the SDE? (Yikes, that's too close to a very bad acronym indeed...)

Meanwhile, down on the farm:
Jaylin Davis: 14 games for Sacto, 9 HR, 16 RBI, BA .404, OPS 1.462

Hm.

Don’t forget that the Twins have an extra year of Dyson, which I would guess is what made the trade cost Davis. It’s still hard to say whether Davis is going to hit MLB pitching, and hopefully he’ll get a shot to do so in September.
  • David HK likes this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#40 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,406 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:09 AM

Improved velocity??

Thought I had heard that velocity was up during the broadcast. First couple of innings. Maybe just anecdotal for a small number of pitches and not supported by the body of the data for that outing? If so, it's just another reason to seriously consider shutting him down for a start or two now....not waiting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jorge polanco, martin perez, sergio romo, taylor rogers