Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: "Unwritten Rule" Gets Max Kepler Hit By A Pitch

jake cave max kepler rocco baldelli tommy watkins
  • Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,741 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:56 AM

My take on this situation is a little different. To me, you take a 3-0 pitch in a close game because the pitcher is having trouble finding the strike zone and you want him to work for an out. In a lop-sided game, swing away. Cave is likely to get a hit about once in four tries so the odds are in Texas' favor if he swings.As for "unwritten rules", write them down so everyone knows what they are. Or if they are too embarrassing to write down, get rid of them.

Minor point. He's going to get a hit a lot more than 25% of the time on a 3-0 count, especially when he knows a bp meatball is coming down the middle of the plate.
His career sample size on 3-0 is too small to cite, but he's a career .378 hitter when ahead in the count. In that situation it's going to be a hit probably 60+ % of the time.

#82 drbob524

drbob524

• 136 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:10 AM

To quote Herm Edwards, " You play to win the game!". It's not "you play to uphold unwritten rules that have been in the game before black players were allowed to play and before HRs were hit at record paces". 

Should Cave have taken a pitch? probably, but he saw a pitch to hit, and he did, thats the point of the game. Hitting Kep, who literally had nothing to do with that, is just ridiculous. If unwritten rules were worth anything, they'd be written down

#83 BD57

BD57

• 154 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:38 AM

Dumb play by a young guy followed by a harmless plunking of Kepler. Professionals policing themselves. Much ado about nothing.

Turned out that way, thank goodness.If he'd hit Kepler in the head or the wrist and he wound up missing significant time as a result, it wouldn't be.

#84 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,089 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:45 AM

Writing down the unwritten rules would make them written. This would seemingly reduce the passion that the unwritten rules seem to generate. The baseball rule book is thick enough and confusing enough as is. You can't write every little thing down. :). Bottom line I bet every sport has unwritten rules. But since I wasn't engrained in any other sport I don't know any. But they are out there, lurking, waiting to be enforced on the unsuspecting! :) Speaking of unsuspecting, I bet none of Rocco, Cave, Kepler, the 1B coach, nor the umpire were unsuspecting when Kep got pegged. They just moved up a base, and discussed it later. :)
  • goulik likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#85 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,843 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:08 PM

Writing down the unwritten rules would make them written. This would seemingly reduce the passion that the unwritten rules seem to generate. The baseball rule book is thick enough and confusing enough as is. You can't write every little thing down. :). Bottom line I bet every sport has unwritten rules. But since I wasn't engrained in any other sport I don't know any. But they are out there, lurking, waiting to be enforced on the unsuspecting! :) Speaking of unsuspecting, I bet none of Rocco, Cave, Kepler, the 1B coach, nor the umpire were unsuspecting when Kep got pegged. They just moved up a base, and discussed it later. :)

Every sport has unwritten rules and in every sport they boil down to 'respect your opponent and 'respect the game.'

• goulik likes this

#86 LVTwinsfan

LVTwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,234 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:55 PM

I think AL pitchers especially, should never get involved in this kind of unwritten justice. How do you retaliate against them? They don’t stand in the box. And if an eight run lead is in surmountable then just forfeit the game and go home, or you you’re tired of the other team scoring so much then stop them. That pitcher should have been ejected and fined
  • brvama likes this

You know horses are smarter than people. You never heard of a horse going broke betting on people.  - Will Rogers

#87 Ebby Calvin Laloosh

Ebby Calvin Laloosh

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 50 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:58 PM

They had Cave shifted...end of story. Swing away. You can't have it both ways.

• #1ShaneMackFan, brvama and Danchat like this

#88 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,949 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:00 PM

I honestly have never heard of this "unwritten rule," therefore, I dont actually think it is one, which makes this even weirder.

Why would I let a grooved pitch go in this situation? A walk does nothing at that point. If you dont want me to swing, then purposefully walk me.

It must have been an unwritten rule. The evidence?

1) Dick Bremer first in a state of shock, and then joined by Roy Smalley were both having the vapors at the unseemly specter of anyone actually swinging at a 3-0 pitch in that situation.

2) The first base coach instead of congratulating Cave, quickly upbraided him upon his arrival at first.

3) In reaction to being scolded, Cave looked like a six-year-old who had just been caught stealing the last cookie from his Mama's cookie jar as he profusely apologized to the pitcher in question.

4) Kepler, though from baseball-free Europe, knowingly waited out the next 3 pitches in nervous trepidation, until he was unceremoniously, but surgically, plunked on what would have been ball four.

5) The home plate umpire feigned ignorance of the entire proceedings- in what was an obvious display of Baseball Kabuki Theater- wherein, because of unwritten (and unauthored) rules, the beautiful sport of Base Ball. magically instills "restorative justice" simultaneously as it curiously descends from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Edited by jokin, 17 August 2019 - 04:07 PM.

• Mr. Brooks and goulik like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#89 brvama

brvama

• 566 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:45 PM

First, NO ONE should EVER be thrown at on purpose in baseball. That just reeks of poor sportsmanship.

Now regarding this unwritten rule, my questions is when it kicks in. Given the HUGE innings that seems to be normal, what lead is safe? Anyone remember in in 2017 when the Twins were leading the Astros 8-2, and they scored 11 runs in one inning on the way to a 16-8 win? 

This whole "rule" reeks of poor sportsmanship by those who randomly use it and those that allow it to be used, IMHO.

• Danchat and DocBauer like this

#90 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,598 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

So many good posts I had to quit "liking" them and skim.

If Cave actually did something wrong, or felt he did, his apology should have ended it. Throwing a hard object at someone who had nothing to do with the situation is childish, poor sportsmanship, and borders on mild assault.

To lay down and not try...as I guess Cave was supposed to do...is ridiculous. He didn't hunt or steal a base...he hit a 3-0 pitch down the middle for a hit.

In the heyday of my Cornhuskers destroying other teams, they would run up yardage and the score using 2nd, 3rd and sometimes even 4th team players. They quit throwing the ball and they never ran trick plays or fakes. But they also didn't instruct the reserves to quit playing and not try.

I guess Cave should have just stood there with his bat on his shoulder and waited for a BB or called SO? Come to think of it, that's probably what the rest of the team should have done, just stand there and let the pitcher do what he wanted. Just ridiculous!
  • SQUIRREL and jokin like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#91 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,089 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

Every sport has unwritten rules and in every sport they boil down to 'respect your opponent and 'respect the game.'

And since respecting opponent and game are part of the game then Cave should have showed his respect and taken that pitch, as he would have in almost every other AB he has ever taken as a pro. He ain't the kind of hitter who gets a green light. But since that's turned into an intractable discussion, I yeild the rest of my time. :)
  • gunnarthor likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#92 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:40 AM

It must have been an unwritten rule. The evidence?

1) Dick Bremer first in a state of shock, and then joined by Roy Smalley were both having the vapors at the unseemly specter of anyone actually swinging at a 3-0 pitch in that situation.

2) The first base coach instead of congratulating Cave, quickly upbraided him upon his arrival at first.

3) In reaction to being scolded, Cave looked like a six-year-old who had just been caught stealing the last cookie from his Mama's cookie jar as he profusely apologized to the pitcher in question.

4) Kepler, though from baseball-free Europe, knowingly waited out the next 3 pitches in nervous trepidation, until he was unceremoniously, but surgically, plunked on what would have been ball four.

5) The home plate umpire feigned ignorance of the entire proceedings- in what was an obvious display of Baseball Kabuki Theater- wherein, because of unwritten (and unauthored) rules, the beautiful sport of Base Ball. magically instills "restorative justice" simultaneously as it curiously descends from the sublime to the ridiculous.

My opinion, is consider the situation, and is mainly why I think this in particular is BS.

What does a walk do at that point? Absolutely nothing. Should be throwing strikes and letting them swing at everything to get the game over with.

My favorite opinion I saw anywhere on this was from Todd Van Steensel:

He's exactly right.

Edited by Steve Lein, 19 August 2019 - 09:41 AM.

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#93 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,740 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:38 PM

I’m in the minority obviously but I don’t mind the unwritten rules. You’re up 13-5 in the 9th with a 3-0 count? Doesn’t matter what level your at, you take the pitch. Chances of a walk, 50%. Chance of a hit is in the 30s %. As a professional you should know to take the pitch.

I also agree that with his being corrected immediately by his coach and apology, that should have been enough.

#94 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,398 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:45 PM

Anyone see the irony of breaking a WRITTEN rule to “enforce” an unwritten rule?

INTENTIONALLY PITCHING AT THE BATTER
Official Baseball Rule 8.02(d) provides that the pitcher shall not intentionally pitch at the batter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake cave, max kepler, rocco baldelli, tommy watkins