Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/15): Pineda Solid While Offense Provides Plenty

michael pineda devin smeltzer luis arraez miguel sano jake cave
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 623 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:19 AM

Freddy Galvis was claimed by Reds off waivers from Blue Jays. He is a better and cheaper player than Schoop and yet he was let go.

#42 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,105 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:21 AM

You should ask the players.

But IMO its the common courtesy and respect shown between highly competitive people who play at an extremely high level for six straight months. "The game is pretty much decided. let's not show each other up. We have to co e back and do this again tomorrow/next week/next month/next year."

And it's pretty undeniable all the players know and understand. Cave immediately apologized. Kepler wore a fastball, trotted to first without complaint, and everyone moved on.

That plate appearance counts just the same on his stat line than every other plate appearance. The goal is to make contact and improve on that. There isn't a separate category where we subtract plate appearances he wasn't supposed to try according to unwritten rules.
  • Danchat and Dman like this

#43 Splash

Splash

Elizabethton Twins

• 11 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:23 AM

I'm amused by the outrage over Kepler getting hit.
Every player on both teams knew exactly what happened, and why, and none of them had a problem with it.
There are "unwritten rules" ("norms" if you prefer) in every job.

Sure but if someone at any other job breaks an “unwritten rule” you don’t deal with it by punching a nearby co-worker. It’s stupid that what Cave did is frowned upon, and even more stupid that they hit Kepler for it.
  • 70charger, JW24, Dman and 1 other like this

#44 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,105 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:25 AM

I was thinking about this earlier - do other sports have these unwritten (stupid & outdated) rules?

Only baseball has players policing other players for no reason... A football team may put in the backup QB if it's a blow out. Baseball does that already by tossing out the mop up pitcher for an inning in a blow out.

#45 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 647 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:29 AM

If a rule is unwritten concerning game play, then it's not a rule IMHO. Last year some pitcher had a no-hitter going into like the 7th inning. It was broken up by a bunt single. The player was heavily criticized for breaking an unwritten rule. I'd say, that's smart baseball. Who knows, such a play might start a big rally, but instead, it almost resulted in a donnybrook.

BTW, here in Japan, we had a VERY rare occurrence. We had both benches empty in a game between the Seibu Lions and the Orix Buffaloes after the Orix catcher was beaned. Usually after a beaning, the opposing pitcher removes his cap and does a slight head bow to indicate no intention. Apparently, this didn't happen. (There was even a retaliation bean ball in the next inning with an instantaneous ejection.)
  • In My La-Z-boy likes this

#46 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 647 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:43 AM

PS-If it is an unwritten rule, who is the judge? As a batter, if you argue a strike call for more than say three seconds, you'll be tossed. I'm sure that is an unwritten rule. I guess the umpire should have thrown Cave out of the game for swinging 3-0.

#47 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,069 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:48 AM

I didn't say I endorsed the beaning, but the only reason Kepler got hit was because of Cave. I'm sure he feels awful about it.

Oh I didn't think you endorsed it, Tom - sorry if you took offense! I was saying the beaning was BS, not your post.

#48 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,290 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:56 AM

Freddy Galvis was claimed by Reds off waivers from Blue Jays. He is a better and cheaper player than Schoop and yet he was let go.

What does this have to do with yesterday's game?

Anyway, Toronto is not in contention, saving an odd million on Galvis' salary is fine for them and he doesn't have a future with the Jays. The Twins are in a pennant race and an injury away from playing Schoop every day at second. Different situation.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#49 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,078 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:10 PM

Odo vs Minor tonight. Let's keep this rolling! This could be a tough matchup, but I think the squad will pony up. I'm ready for another exciting tilt, baby!!

#50 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:12 PM

Oh I didn't think you endorsed it, Tom - sorry if you took offense! I was saying the beaning was BS, not your post.

Oh no, that was my bad. I probably should have actually shared my opinion in the first place.

• bighat likes this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#51 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,073 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:51 PM

For those who want to continue the discussion on this unwritten rule issue with this game, a separate article/thread has been started.

http://twinsdaily.co...hit-by-a-pitch/

• JW24 likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda, devin smeltzer, luis arraez, miguel sano, jake cave