Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/15): Pineda Solid While Offense Provides Plenty

michael pineda devin smeltzer luis arraez miguel sano jake cave
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 593 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:17 AM

Arraez just keeps on rolling, huh? The dinger may have been a surprise but it's a pleasant one: if he can be a guy who hits 8-10 HRs along with 30+ doubles and a handful of triples he's going to be a much more complete player. He doesn't need a SLG% that's over .450 to be a terrific starting 2B, but he does need to keep it over .400 IMHO. A little extra pop on those occasional HRs helps a lot.

He's just become a really tough out. His BABiP is high, but not ludicrously so. The BB% is excellent for a guy who gets so many damn hits. he's doing a terrific job of controlling the strike zone: you can't strike him out often and you can't get him to chase much either. It's a really effective approach and he could be a terrific leadoff guy in the future.

I'm a little worried about Polanco right now. Maybe he's taking the slump at the plate out in the field with him? He's got to get those throws ironed out, because those free outs he's yielding can really haunt you. He probably needs a day or two off, and we've got the infielders up right now to do it, so hopefully Rocco gives him a day off and some infield instruction.

• Dman, blindeke, cmoss84 and 2 others like this

#22 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:54 AM

Honestly man, what kind of BS is that? The Twins have been struggling, Cave has been struggling....what's he supposed to do in a 3-0 count? Take a strike? Why? The pitcher should have thrown strikes earlier in the count and he wouldn't be in that situation.

Just moments before Cave's AB, Bryce Harper had just homered to complete a 6-run 9th inning comeback by the Phillies to beat the Cubs. With the Twins pitching staff, no lead is safe. I see nothing wrong with Jake padding his stats there, nor is there anything wrong with the Twins running up the score.

That beaning of Kepler was really bush league.

I didn't say I endorsed the beaning, but the only reason Kepler got hit was because of Cave. I'm sure he feels awful about it.

• ashbury, bighat and MN_ExPat like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#23 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,100 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:56 AM

I'm amused by the outrage over Kepler getting hit.

Every player on both teams knew exactly what happened, and why, and none of them had a problem with it.

There are "unwritten rules" ("norms" if you prefer) in every job.
  • ashbury and MN_ExPat like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#24 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,273 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:10 AM

Every player on both teams knew exactly what happened, and why, and none of them had a problem with it.

I don't know that outrage is the right word here.I think annoyance is a better term.If that ball slips a little bit when the pitcher throws it, maybe it hits Kepler in the head.Maybe it hits him in the wrist, breaks a bone, and Kepler is done for the year.Neither of those are implausible, and both would be ridiculous, given that the beaning was in retaliation for a hitter attempting to hit.If the Rangers don't want the Twins to try up 8 in the 9th, then forfeit.Otherwise shut up and play the damn game.

• SQUIRREL, brvama, Dantes929 and 6 others like this

#25 flpmagikat

flpmagikat

• 93 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:14 AM

I always thought guys weren't supposed to swing at 3-0 pitches because the pitcher was showing they can't throw strikes and to just take the free base. Is it really because you're supposed to take at least one strike in order to make it more fair or something? Thats the first I've ever heard that, and pretty sad that these professional competitors agree thats the norm. Should teams roll out the b squad lineup when their ace is on the mound as well?

• Dman likes this

#26 JW24

JW24

• 168 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:18 AM

There might have been more of a reaction by both teams had Kepler taken offense to getting hit and made a scene. At that point the dugouts have to clear and guys have to hold each other back and then return to their own dugouts.

Pitchers hitting batters purposefully is the absolute worst part of baseball because of some unwritten rule that was broken (or because the pitcher has thin skin), and quite frankly is something the commissioner should hand out more extreme punishments for to get rid of it. It is not tough, it is pathetic.

• brvama, Danchat, Dman and 1 other like this

#27 JW24

JW24

• 168 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:36 AM

I always thought guys weren't supposed to swing at 3-0 pitches because the pitcher was showing they can't throw strikes and to just take the free base. Is it really because you're supposed to take at least one strike in order to make it more fair or something? Thats the first I've ever heard that, and pretty sad that these professional competitors agree thats the norm. Should teams roll out the b squad lineup when their ace is on the mound as well?

Across MLB this year, in 3-0 counts, players are hitting .385/.935/.756 (1.692 OPS), which is the highest OPS of any count by nearly .300. 3-1 counts have resulted in a 1.427 OPS.

Every hitter goes to the plate with the intent of hitting the best pitch they see as hard as they can. Sometimes that is the first pitch of the at bat. Sometimes it comes with a 3-0 count, and guys are crushing the ball in this count.

Absolutely no issue with a hitter, regardless of game scenario, swinging away 3-0. None at all. It is a professional hitter up at the plate, and it is also a professional pitcher standing on the mound. Make better pitches.

• brvama, Dantes929, 70charger and 3 others like this

#28 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 464 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:48 AM

Yesterday was Thursday, August 15.It was the 121st game of the year putting the Twins 75% of the way through the season.The Twins hit 3 home runs upping their record-breaking season total to 236 home runs.They are now only 31 home runs behind the single-season MLB record.

Terry - THANK YOU so much for doing this.It has been an interesting "side effect" of a fantastic season for the Twins.

I do have a request.Might it be possible to track this teams HR total against who is next for them to pass all time?For example, this team now has a team record 236 home runs.The next team ahead of them are the 1975 Reds whose 241 home runs rank 6th all time for home runs by a team in a season.

Thanks again!

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#29 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,294 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:08 AM

Across MLB this year, in 3-0 counts, players are hitting .385/.935/.756 (1.692 OPS), which is the highest OPS of any count by nearly .300. 3-1 counts have resulted in a 1.427 OPS.

Jake Cave is batting 1.000 this year.

https://www.baseball...9&t=b#all_count

If I'm Jake, I'm giving myself the red light on 3-0 for the rest of the season, to maintain this outstanding stat. :)

• brvama and JW24 like this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#30 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:12 AM

despite a rough outing from Devin Smeltzer out of the bullpen

I'd say more of a rough "inning" than a rough "outing." He was pretty solid after the shaky 6th.

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#31 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,100 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:37 AM

players often swing 3-0. The issue was the score.

#32 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,738 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:54 AM

players often swing 3-0. The issue was the score.

Why does one team get to keep trying, and the other team has to stop?
Not rhetorical, I honestly don't understand.
  • Cap'n Piranha, brvama, Danchat and 1 other like this

#33 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,100 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:02 AM

Why does one team get to keep trying, and the other team has to stop?
Not rhetorical, I honestly don't understand.

You should ask the players.

But IMO its the common courtesy and respect shown between highly competitive people who play at an extremely high level for six straight months. "The game is pretty much decided. let's not show each other up. We have to co e back and do this again tomorrow/next week/next month/next year."

And it's pretty undeniable all the players know and understand. Cave immediately apologized. Kepler wore a fastball, trotted to first without complaint, and everyone moved on.

#34 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,637 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:09 AM

Imagine if these unwritten rules exist in other sports...

In football if you're up by 2 TDs, the defense has to bat the ball in the air like a hot potato instead of intercepting the ball... Or if you have a clear path to sack a QB, you have to take a knee.

In basketball if you're up by 10 points with 2 minutes left, you can't shoot the ball. Just dribble until the 24 second shot clock is up.
  • Cap'n Piranha, brvama, 70charger and 2 others like this

#35 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,093 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:10 AM

But IMO its the common courtesy and respect shown between highly competitive people who play at an extremely high level for six straight months. "The game is pretty much decided. let's not show each other up. We have to co e back and do this again tomorrow/next week/next month/next year."

And it's pretty undeniable all the players know and understand. Cave immediately apologized. Kepler wore a fastball, trotted to first without complaint, and everyone moved on.

Chief, this makes zero sense to me. Cave taking on a 3-0 count likely makes the game go longer as he either takes a walk or takes a strike, and now we have to see another pitcher. Alternatively, swinging at it could potentially lead to an out in the field, which would speed up the game.

Alternatively, Kepler gets hit, and now you're putting a runner on base... in a game which is a blowout, in which I thought the point was to speed up the game and get it over with.

Only in the backwards sport of baseball are players supposed to stop trying once the score is at a certain point. Why don't we just have a mercy rule? These stupid unwritten rules drive me nuts.

• brvama, Dman and SF Twins Fan like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#36 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,313 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:11 AM

Cave apologized? After he hit the ball and was on 1st? 

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#37 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,093 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:12 AM

In football if you're up by 2 TDs, the defense has to bat the ball in the air like a hot potato instead of intercepting the ball... Or if you have a clear path to sack a QB, you have to take a knee.

In basketball if you're up by 10 points with 2 minutes left, you can't shoot the ball. Just dribble until the 24 second shot clock is up.

I wish I could like this post more than once!

• SF Twins Fan likes this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#38 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 385 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:12 AM

I was thinking about this earlier - do other sports have these unwritten (stupid & outdated) rules?

#39 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 385 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:14 AM

Cave apologized? After he hit the ball and was on 1st? 

You could see, in the video, that Watkins said something to him and Cave took it as an "oh crap, my bad" moment. He even patted himself on the chest to signal that. I think Watkins told him what had happened, why the Rangers may be pissed, and what may happen to Kepler.

Still, stupid. A guy shouldn't have to worry about swinging 3-0 no matter the score. These unwritten rules are so outlandish and stupid. Down with them.

• JW24 likes this

#40 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,313 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

You could see, in the video, that Watkins said something to him and Cave took it as an "oh crap, my bad" moment. He even patted himself on the chest to signal that. I think Watkins told him what had happened, why the Rangers may be pissed, and what may happen to Kepler.

Still, stupid. A guy shouldn't have to worry about swinging 3-0 no matter the score. These unwritten rules are so outlandish and stupid. Down with them.

Ah, okay, so Cave realized what he did, and acknowledged it and took responsibility, BEFORE the pitcher hit Kepler. Then that's just the pitcher being wrong. There was no reason to hit Kepler, and it's a good thing the pitch didn't hit a wrist or head and make it worse.

• brvama and JW24 like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda, devin smeltzer, luis arraez, miguel sano, jake cave