Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Michael Pineda Will Play a Huge Role During This Division Race

michael pineda martin perez devin smeltzer jose berrios jake odorizzi
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,841 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:32 PM

He’s almost certain to finish tonight’s start with more IP than Odorizzi. He’s 3 1/3 behind him.

He's also missed 3 entire seasons and a good chunk of a 4th due to serious arm injuries....

#42 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,598 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:49 PM

I am a bit late but here I go.

1] I agree Pineda is a key. He bas been very solid and consistent. As pointed out in the OP, his ERA...not exactly the best measurement..is a bit inflated from a few bad performances. That can be said for a LOT of pitchers. He has good stuff, has had a nice career, and his biggest problem has simply been injuries that have slowed him. His signing was very smart. Coming off TJ, the Twins have handled him perfectly!

2] I don't know that Pineda is my #2 when playoff time comes. The problem with the rotation, right now, is NOT that anyone stinks. The problem is that everyone seems to be hitting a lull at once. Berrios bas one of the best starts of his young career followed by a bad one and then a mediocre one. Odorizzi seemed to have a recent finger issue. But I remind everyone he finished both 2017 and 2018 strong. Gibson had a STRONG year and a half coming in to this season before a rough start due to illness, missing time, etc. He hasn't been quite the same, but you still see starts where he is the same "new" pitcher he morphed in to. Usually, batters and pitchers have highs and lows in a season. Unfortunately, our rotation seems to all have had a lull recently.

There is still a month and a half to set things straight!

Before the season began, we all knew 3 pieces of our rotation were potential FA. I stated then that nobody should be surprised if Pineda turned out to be a priority when all is said and done. I think that is coming true.

This OK is about the post season, but we also understand the reality of tomorrow, and this thread is leaning that way. I get it. Makes sense under the circumstances. This team has truly has the ability to go deep and win it all. They could also be done 1st round. But isn't that true every year?

If we want to discuss next year, my personal belief is anywhere from 50-50 To 75-25 the FO makes a major move to add a major rotation piece to join Berrios. My vastly differential exists because the entire market has changed so much the past 3 years. FA options have changed so much. The first year of the new trade deadline left so many teams holding their cards thinking they had a shot. The Twins have a deep enough system to trade away 4 top 20 prospects for a quality SP without doing anything to "damage" their system.

Regardless, especially considering how the market has changed, I believe the Twins can, and probably will, bring back 2 of their 3 impending FA SP. The question is which 2?

Not necessarily a proven ACE, but a talented arm with a couple of years of control is brought in to team with Berrios. Pick your player! Between Odorizzi, Gibson and Pineda, which 2 would you choose? Because I see finances and production making cases for any of the 3.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda, martin perez, devin smeltzer, jose berrios, jake odorizzi