Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Michael Pineda Will Play a Huge Role During This Division Race

michael pineda martin perez devin smeltzer jose berrios jake odorizzi
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Cooper Carlson

Cooper Carlson

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:49 PM

all the starters have to do, is do something even the best rotation in baseball doesn’t do. Cleveland averages 5.75 innnings per start and they haven’t worn down yet in the post season. Twins are second 5.68 ip/start and Houston is number 3 at 5.6 ip/start.

Bullpens win championships.

This is a better bp than before the deadline, and is OK, not good enough, but maybe they can find internal reinforcements.

Rotation wise, Berrios, Pineda, and Odorizzi are it. Best to pray for health!

Ok I don't mean get six innings every time, but recently it has just not been happening at all. Also, the Red Sox had an one of the worst playoff bullpens last year that had a couple guys step up in a big way and won the world series. Bullpens don't win championships. Starting pitching and offense do.

• Sconnie likes this

#22 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:51 PM

If the Twins want starting pitchers next year, they are going to have to offer at least one of them (Gibson, Odorizzi, Pineda) three years.

3 at least, probably 4... They'll need to outbid the usual suspects too.

#23 Patrick Wozniak

Patrick Wozniak

Elizabethton Twins

• 37 posts
  • LocationAmnatcharoen, Thailand

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:07 PM

"I wonder what he would look like surfing...?"

I'm pretty sure his face would be exactly the same as it is in the article's photo. What a gem!

#24 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,395 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:07 PM

3 at least, probably 4... They'll need to outbid the usual suspects too.

I don’t believe any starting pitcher over 30 signed for more than 3 years last year. And I think only 2-3 were longer than 3 years at all, headlined by Patrick Corbin.
  • mikelink45 likes this

#25 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,460 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:17 PM

It's amazing how I went from the beginning of the season thinking "Oh crap Pineda is pitching today" to now thinking "Thank god Pineda is pitching today"

• ashbury, LA VIkes Fan, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#26 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:18 PM

I would look into re-signing Odorizzi and Pineda - I think both can be a bit underrated, and Pineda might improve in his second year after TJ surgery. Odorizzi is pretty darn effective through 4-5 innings, which is a surprisingly uncommon thing these days.

I'm done with Gibson, I've seen enough. He can go get overpaid elsewhere.

Agreed on both accounts. Though I question if Pineda can stay healthy. Even before TJ, that was his issue.

I'd offer Odo a qualifying offer. It's overpaying, but they have room in the books next year and he'd be foolish not to take it given the FA market the past 2 years.

• DocBauer and Doctor Wu like this

#27 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:19 PM

I would love to see Pineda get a deal around 2 years for $25 million. I would expect we re-sign Gibson as well.

I'm on board with 2 years. As I just said, his injury history is a concern. But no way I'd go over 2 years without some kind of insurance, option, or incentives.

• mikelink45 likes this

#28 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,590 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:14 PM

Do not let the average innings per start deceive us.Yes we push the starters to make QS.But in doing so we have also been letting them get us behind by allowing 4 - 6 runs in order to get those innings these do not qualify as 6 inning, 3 runs quality starts, but reflect on average innings per start.  

There are so many stats and I get weary digging through the limited ones I understand, but I do know that the eye test is still valid and I have seen to many shaky starts by Perez, slightly less bad starts by Gibson, but I would not trust him in a big game, and Odorizzi has been hot and cold.  

In the end it is Pineda and Berrios.Berrios should be extended, Pineda - two years maximum.And why is Perez the starter who still has another year on his contract?

• Sconnie likes this

#29 071063

• 98 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:46 AM

I think the Twins need to make a push to sign all three of their free agent pitchers.IMHO, Perez would be better suited for a BP role or SP option as part of 6 guys who can fill that role.This year, like nearly every year previously, has proven a major league team needs more than 5 starters.Other than Brusder and Smeltzer, I don;t see a lot of major league ready starting pitching in the minors.

#30 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,275 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:17 AM

It will be very interesting to see how we tackle SP this offseason. I don't think it's a conincidence that our level of play has dropped off significantly with our starters being less effective. Perez, Odorizzi, and Gibson have all turned back into pumpkins. Pineda is looking more like his old self. I definitely agree with the sentiment that you keep someone around, and that the moment, that someone is Pineda. I'm not sure I'd even consider QOing the others at this point. They've all been pretty bad as the season has worn on.

The problem is what to do next. That's 2 starters for 5 spots. I could see leaving one spot to Thorpe/Smeltzer to see who emerges victorious (with the other being a depth piece for 2020)... but going with both would not be wise IMO. 

Free agency doesn't look all that good with really only one or two starters worth giving money to... I still think they end up trading for someone.

I'm still shocked the Twins didn't try and beat the offer for Gallen... They certainly could have. Then again, I'm still shocked that the Marlins traded him.

#31 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:09 AM

It will be very interesting to see how we tackle SP this offseason. I don't think it's a conincidence that our level of play has dropped off significantly with our starters being less effective. Perez, Odorizzi, and Gibson have all turned back into pumpkins. Pineda is looking more like his old self. I definitely agree with the sentiment that you keep someone around, and that the moment, that someone is Pineda. I'm not sure I'd even consider QOing the others at this point. They've all been pretty bad as the season has worn on.

The problem is what to do next. That's 2 starters for 5 spots. I could see leaving one spot to Thorpe/Smeltzer to see who emerges victorious (with the other being a depth piece for 2020)... but going with both would not be wise IMO.

Free agency doesn't look all that good with really only one or two starters worth giving money to... I still think they end up trading for someone.

I'm still shocked the Twins didn't try and beat the offer for Gallen... They certainly could have. Then again, I'm still shocked that the Marlins traded him.

I agree that QOs shouldn't be offered to Odorizzi or Gibson. Given how the last couple of winters have gone, they would be crazy not to accept it. Unless they want to wait around until June like Keuchel and Kimbrel did...

The free agent starting pitchers are a little more attractive than the last couple of years. Gerrit Cole will be the prize everyone wants... I doubt the Twins will even get a return phone call.

However, there's MadBum, Zach Wheeler, Ryu, Porcello... Maybe a couple of surprises like Archer, Kluber, and Teheran.
  • DocBauer likes this

#32 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,738 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:38 AM

Miami got back the #58 prospect in return for Gallen.
If they weren't picky about position, then Graterol would have been comparable (#57).
However, if they were looking to get a position player back, only Lewis or Kirilloff would likely be enough to top what they got.

#33 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• 1,542 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:47 AM

Sounds like Pineda will be starting tonight. 

#34 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 610 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:57 AM

The bullpen will be fine. A back end trio of Rogers-Romo-Dyson with a mid tier of May-Duffey-Littell is not bad. The starters have to get to the sixth inning and beyond for the bullpen to succeed.

It's not good either though and that's the problem.

#35 Linus

Linus

• 2,248 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:58 AM

I like that Big Mike throws it over. I’m tired of watching pitchers that need 90 pitches to get to the 5th

#36 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,395 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:58 AM

I think the Twins need to make a push to sign all three of their free agent pitchers. IMHO, Perez would be better suited for a BP role or SP option as part of 6 guys who can fill that role. This year, like nearly every year previously, has proven a major league team needs more than 5 starters. Other than Brusder and Smeltzer, I don;t see a lot of major league ready starting pitching in the minors.

Nothing about Perez’s 2019 performance suggests he would do well in the pen. The first inning is one of his poorer innings. Not the worst, but far from the best.

Also, the Twins aren’t going to pay him $7.5 mil to be their second (or third if Smeltzer or Thorpe sticks in the role) lefty.

#37 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,294 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

Nothing about Perez’s 2019 performance suggests he would do well in the pen. The first inning is one of his poorer innings. Not the worst, but far from the best.

Unless he can do things, knowing he will only pitch one inning, that he can't pace himself to do when going for five or more.

• DocBauer likes this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#38 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,416 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:28 PM

This much I know for sure....

Standing in the box and looking out at that, out there on top of the mound, 60 feet six inches away....he could throw 100 90-mph fastballs over the middle of the plate and I'd never make contact. My toes would be scraping the outside of the box and I'd be bailing before his release. I guess that's why I'm a fan.

#39 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,841 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 03:57 PM

The Twins should want Pineda back, but IMO it needs to be in the same role he has filled this season; back end starter with front end upside. If MN goes into next season with Pineda penciled in atop the rotation they're asking for trouble, and the hunt for offseason arms went horribly wrong. 

I'm fine with Pineda on a 2 year deal although I agree it seems unlikely he'd sign one in MN barring another IL stint to end the season. Between him, Odorizzi, and Gibson he certainly has the most upside, but he's by far the least durable. I'd hesitate on giving him 3 years, but I could be swayed if the numbers weren't crazy. There's no way I'm handing him 4 years. 

#40 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,395 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:58 PM

The Twins should want Pineda back, but IMO it needs to be in the same role he has filled this season; back end starter with front end upside. If MN goes into next season with Pineda penciled in atop the rotation they're asking for trouble, and the hunt for offseason arms went horribly wrong.

I'm fine with Pineda on a 2 year deal although I agree it seems unlikely he'd sign one in MN barring another IL stint to end the season. Between him, Odorizzi, and Gibson he certainly has the most upside, but he's by far the least durable. I'd hesitate on giving him 3 years, but I could be swayed if the numbers weren't crazy. There's no way I'm handing him 4 years.

He’s almost certain to finish tonight’s start with more IP than Odorizzi. He’s 3 1/3 behind him.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda, martin perez, devin smeltzer, jose berrios, jake odorizzi